What are your views on cropping and docking?

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Add spay and neuter to that list and I agree completely. Perfectly worded.
I'm slowly, but surely moving over to that opinion of desexing, as well. I have always been of the "speuter every pet that isn't going to be bred" belief, but the more I learn, the more I move away from that. I will probably still speuter future pets, but I will definitely do it much later than I did with my current pets.

I guess since I've paid for both to be done, I do support it. :)

I prefer cropped/docked on Dobes, Boxers, Min Pins. Danes I actually prefer with natural ears. Dogos- cropped ears. Pit bulls- I can go either way. My Aunt's Dalmatian had a docked tail due to an injury and he didn't look bad with it! Saved a lot stuff from getting knocked off the table tops!

I've held 2 litters of Dobe pups for tail docking and dew claw removal. It really wasn't that big of a deal for the pups. None of them made a fuss or really seemed to have any issues once it was over. Ear cropping I like the look, but I would prefer someone else to deal with the aftermath as I hate taping ears on breeds with longer crops!

But I do not support cutting their vocal cords or declawing cats. I know to some one is no worse than the others, but that is just the way I feel. Cropping/docking doesn't bother me, but the others do.

Not my dog not my business and it shouldn't be anyone else's business either.

Exactly!
Personally I wouldn't crop any dog unless it was a LGD. Cropping them is a much better alternative then having them ripped off by a coyote. Docking I would do if I owned a dobe or such, but my breed is au' natural so that's kind of null. I am for removing dews that aren't well attached I've seen far to many curs with floppy dews have them ripped off in the woods but prefer lines that have them well attached anyway. End the end though your dog your business not mine.

Personal choice and preference. I would hate to see it banned and I refuse to villainize people who crop and/or dock.
Not my dog not my business and it shouldn't be anyone else's business either.
I've seen people make the same exact point regarding animal cruelty laws. The dog is theirs so they should be able to whatever they please with it and animal cruelty laws should be repealed.

Banning ear cropping would be just like any other addition to current animal welfare laws.

And the truth is some animal cruelty laws are ridiculous.
The laws are too weak in many places. You barely were required to have shelter for dogs left outside until several years ago here.

I find it neglectful and dangerous to feed some foods, should it be a law?
The brand of food and Kibble vs. Raw doesn't make that much of a difference to the dog.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
The laws are too weak in many places.

The brand of food and Kibble vs. Raw doesn't make that much of a difference.
Very debatable and the laws are too strict in many places.

Legally limiting my ownership of more than 3 dogs, legally limiting my breed of dog, legally denying me ownership of a break stick, a treadmill, a flirt pole, a spring pole, and a tie out just because a few trashpots abused their use is ignorant and alarmist.

And the truth is some animal cruelty laws are ridiculous.

I find it neglectful and dangerous to feed some foods, should it be a law? Nope.
Yes, this. Ethics are everyone's business, but legislation should be reserved for things that can be widely agreed upon as being unethical. There's too much subjectivity.

GipsyQueen

Unless there is a medical reason to crop/dock I am against both (as well as declawing). Cropping and Docking is illegal here anyways to it's a none-issue with us.
Our beauceron with not be cropped.

Those who say they are for cropping/docking ONLY when medically necessary, what about working dogs that are cropped/docked to PREVENT injury.

If I get another show dog I want a bouvier, who will be cropped and docked, done at the proper ages by a vet. I am in no way against it, IMO there are so many worse things happening to pets daily that are far worse that cropping and docking by a vet should be pretty low on the lets ban it list. You can legally have a dog as long as there is a bowl of food, a bowl of water and shelter, no matter if you ever pet, play or interact with it, but ban procedures done by vets, seems kinda silly, IMO.

As for spay as neuter, I agree to an extent, while my pets will be done, I respect your choice not to have your pets done, that said far too many pet owners are not smart enough to own unaltered pets. I had an unspayed bitch for 15 years she never had an unplanned litter, she had two litters in total. I know it can be done. I also remember what a pita it was thus Bristol is spayed lol.

Members online