Rant- about tiny dog owners.

JacksonsMom

So, Jackson is an oversized Yorkie (15lbs). I belong to a yorkie forum, and I see yorkies all the time at the dog park. Most of the yorkies that show up at the dog park are really cool little active dogs! Jackson always tends to be the largest, lol.

I get so annoyed when people won't let their yorkies, or other tiny dogs, be DOGS! Gahh. There are some people who post about "NEVER allowing their yorkies feet to touch the ground, EVER, they ride strictly in a stroller for walks and never go outside and use pee pads!" Oh em gee. Kill me now. :rolleyes:

It just makes me sick to think these poor dogs are living a life of isolation when they could be living a much more fulfilled doggy life. Sure, they're being spoiled with love, food, clothes, etc, but dogs don't care about those things (well, except food:D)

I honestly just cannot imagine having Jackson in the house every day and confined to using pee pads. He would go absolutely nuts. Even if he was smaller, I would treat him the same. My friend has 2 yorkies (4 and 6lbs) and they are pretty tiny but they walk just as much as Jackson, play just as much as him, go to the dog park, etc. There was a little 3lb chi/yorkie mix at the park yesterday that was being a regular DOG and his owner wasn't restricting him from playing. It was so refreshing to see. There was a yorkie meet up once and the dogs didn't want to leave their owners legs, they were just held for long periods of time, wouldn't play with other dogs or explore at all, they were brought into the dog park in a stroller....)

When people want to know what breed I have, I almost am embarrased to say yorkie sometimes, simply because of the bad view the public has given them as little pampered purse Paris Hilton dogs. It's a shame because the yorkies whose owners let them be real dogs are actually really cool little terriers! (Don't get me wrong-I've met a few people on the yorkie forums who have 'real dogs' but I would say 75% of the forum are all indoor pad trained dogs who barely step outside!:eek:)

/end rant.

Lolas Dad

On August 21 Lola and I will be attending "Your Dog Is Worth It Too" and I will be prepared to see some dogs being pushed in a stroller. As for mobility I have a bike trailer for Lola but that is only used when I am riding my bike even though it can be converted to a stroller with a kit I see no reason to buy it. She will be walking that day just as she does everyday with a lot of breaks in between.

Of all the Yorkie's I have seen in our dog parks their was not one being pushed in a stroller and they were allowed to play with the other dogs. What sense does it make for a Yorkie group to meet up at a dog park if they can't play with each other.:confused:

JacksonsMom

On August 21 Lola and I will be attending "Your Dog Is Worth It Too" and I will be prepared to see some dogs being pushed in a stroller. As for mobility I have a bike trailer for Lola but that is only used when I am riding my bike even though it can be converted to a stroller with a kit I see no reason to buy it. She will be walking that day just as she does everyday with a lot of breaks in between.

Of all the Yorkie's I have seen in our dog parks their was not one being pushed in a stroller and they were allowed to play with the other dogs. What sense does it make for a Yorkie group to meet up at a dog park if they can't play with each other.:confused:
Yeah, I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with a bike trailer at all. And I'm not even 100% against strollers but ONLY if the dog has a serious medical condition where he can't walk or something, or is really old, but you still wanna bring 'em for the walks. I think those are acceptable. But not for perfectly young capable dogs.

Like I said, the general yorkies are our dog park are pretty cool. It was the yorkie meet-up that had the strollers, dogs in dresses and bows, etc (it was June, mind you).

LilahRoot

If it's not your dog and they aren't hurting it, don't worry about it. I carry Gia around in a back pack when we go on walks because she is not fully vaccinated and I know for a fact that there have been dogs around here with parvo.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
ugh that is rediculous, they are DOGS. What kind of a life is that for them? Even my ferrets walk! Other than Rascal sometimes, cause he is a senior and gets tired really easily.

JacksonsMom

If it's not your dog and they aren't hurting it, don't worry about it. I carry Gia around in a back pack when we go on walks because she is not fully vaccinated and I know for a fact that there have been dogs around here with parvo.
Well, yeah, I agree. A dog could be living a much worse life than being indoors and dressed every single day, and I probably shouldn't judge. Sometimes it just makes me sad to know the dog could be living a much more dog-like life. Also, I don't see anything wrong with a little puppy being carried around in a back pack because of diseases.... I totally understand. That's a health issue. But I assume you're going to let Gia walk once she is fully vaccinated? That's where my issue lies.

Grab

While she has been known to wear shirts and sweaters in the winter (it gets chilly for small dogs, even in AZ), even my 4 lb poodle blasts around the yard in play AND for all of her potty runs. And she only uses 3 legs;)

Snark

Mutts to you
Used to have a guy in the agility club with a yorkie (his name was Mugsy); they had a great time zooming around the courses. The guy was transferred to another state but I have no doubt he found another agility club for his boy.

One of the people at work was talking about how his wife spent $800 for their Yorkie because 'the 5lb yorkies were way more expensive' than the 'regular' ones. Our supervisor countered with how his son made money for his college tuition by breeding a pair of Aussies and how certain colors sold better than others. He (my supervisor) didn't like the dogs because they had to be brought into the house at night or else they barked all night. I stayed out of the conversation...

JacksonsMom

While she has been known to wear shirts and sweaters in the winter (it gets chilly for small dogs, even in AZ), even my 4 lb poodle blasts around the yard in play AND for all of her potty runs. And she only uses 3 legs;)
Yup, Jackson also gets shirts and coats in winter and fall-time. He, even at 15lbs, does get chilly in cold weather after a while. Dresses at the dog park in June... bothers me, LOL.

So glad to hear your little Poodle lives life to the fullest. :)

JacksonsMom

Used to have a guy in the agility club with a yorkie (his name was Mugsy); they had a great time zooming around the courses. The guy was transferred to another state but I have no doubt he found another agility club for his boy.

One of the people at work was talking about how his wife spent $800 for their Yorkie because 'the 5lb yorkies were way more expensive' than the 'regular' ones. Our supervisor countered with how his son made money for his college tuition by breeding a pair of Aussies and how certain colors sold better than others. He (my supervisor) didn't like the dogs because they had to be brought into the house at night or else they barked all night. I stayed out of the conversation...
There's one Yorkie on the other forums that is awesome! From Alaska. He is the coolest little agility dog ever.

I can't wait to get Jackson into agility classes!

And :mad: to people at your work. I hate convos like that, I usually just end up not saying anything or walking away.

Pops2

oh if only all yorkies were like jackson! they might still be capable of killing vermin, many have the heart but the body is insufficient.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
What killed me one time at the dog park was this woman with a small dog who asked me not to let Juno play with it. And Juno hadn't even gone over to the dog yet so it's not like she was just uncomfortable with her play or something. She said she was just worried about the bigger dogs damaging her dogs eyes (?). My two thoughts were one: go to the small dog section if big dogs concern you or two: just don't come to the dog park if your dog has some sensitive eye issue.

Personally I think she was just being overprotective.

I was walking my puppy before dawn one day in an off leash area. Some people were walking their dogs in the same area and Kage went over to say hello. The other dogs seemed fine; but it was twilight, so hard to see. The people asked me to get Kage, which I did. The thing I did not get was the reason the woman gave which was "they are yorkies". If she had said they are nervous or whatever it would have made sense; but, please...

Members online