Collar sizes... okay, I'm stupid.

JacksonsMom

Please help me and my non-math educated self (I always excelled in English classes, LOL).

Should I get Jackson, my 15lb dog, a 5/8" width collar, or a 3/4" wide collar. If I remember fractions correctly, 3/4 would obviously be larger. But the reason I'm confused is because I've bought a few collars in the past, and they never seem to be right? I purchased a collar a few months ago and they told me it was a 3/4" width, however it was smaller than the collars I purchased for Jackson in Petsmart (which stated that they were a 5/8" width?)

Please help. LOL. Am I going crazy or did someone just tell me the wrong collar width?

For reference, this is how I like Jackson's collar size.

(for example, that one is here Harley Davidson Orange Adjustable Nylon Dog Collar - Dog - Free Ship - PetSmart and states it's 5/8"W x 12-18" neck circumference)

lizzybeth727

The one in the top picture is - I believe - 3/8" and the one in the bottom is 5/8. Luna wears 3/8" collar and my favorite leash size is 5/8", so I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.

5/8" and 3/4" are so close to the same size that they're almost indistinguishable. If you're looking at a spread of collars that are all the same brand, there will probably not be a 5/8" AND a 3/4", since they're so close.... it'd be redundant.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
3/4" is just a teeny bit bigger than 5/8." If you find the common denominator to compare them 3/4 is 6/8, compared to 5/8.
It's not a big difference at all, but if you really want the smaller one, go with 5/8."

lizzybeth727

JacksonsMom

Just keep in mind that 3/4" collars are bigger than 5/8".... and IMO the one you linked to looks kind of thick, being leather, and might come out looking kind of bulky. JMO, though.
OK, thanks. I think I will get the 5/8" version. Thanks for all your help. :hail:

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
River has the 5/8 version of one of those collars, but suede lined. I can get a picture of it, if it'd help.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
As a collar maker, I can honestly tell you that 5/8" vs. 3/4" is really only going to be noticeable according to the dog and his neck and his size.

I have made 5/8" and 3/4" collars for Cresties and Chihuahuas before, and it's really up to whichever you prefer.

Is there anyway you could take a ruler and vertically hold the ruler up to his neck at the 3/4" mark and kind of get an idea?

With his size, I probably wouldn't put much bigger than 5/8" on him.
He's a tiny fellow.:D
And though he may be 15 lbs, his body type, imo, is too small for a 3/4" wide collar.
But that is just my opinion.:D
And of course, this is all going to depend on what kind of collar you'd like on him.

JacksonsMom

As a collar maker, I can honestly tell you that 5/8" vs. 3/4" is really only going to be noticeable according to the dog and his neck and his size.

I have made 5/8" and 3/4" collars for Cresties and Chihuahuas before, and it's really up to whichever you prefer.

Is there anyway you could take a ruler and vertically hold the ruler up to his neck at the 3/4" mark and kind of get an idea?

With his size, I probably wouldn't put much bigger than 5/8" on him.
He's a tiny fellow.:D
And though he may be 15 lbs, his body type, imo, is too small for a 3/4" wide collar.
But that is just my opinion.:D
And of course, this is all going to depend on what kind of collar you'd like on him.
Thanks soo much! I definitely needed help from a collar maker! ;) Yes, his neck is pretty tiny actually. I think it's exactly 11" around. 5/8" sounds like it's going to be just right for him! The leather one I'm looking at seems a bit bulkier and maybe heavier than most, so I think I need to go with the smaller one.

crazy_paws

No thumbs = No mutiny
Sure, np. She actually modified one of her cat collars for me.

I'm checking to see if he has one where we was wearing it, but it didn't overpower his neck at all. His neck was maybe 7in at the time?

Members online