Da

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I am really struggling with DA in a Cane Corso. I am pretty much inlove with that breed and researching it like crazy and I really want to add one into my family in a couple years or when the time is right, but I am really worried about the DA issues in the breed. I think could deal with it if it was the only dog in the house I am sure, but with haveing Teagan I am not sure I could deal with a dog that is agressive towards her.

Would it help if I went through a breeder that has dogs that do not have DA or does it not make a difference. If I am worried about DA should I just stop thinking about the Cane Corso. Which would be really hard since I am so inlove with the breed. AUGH!!!!! I hate falling inlove with a breed.

HELP!!!:confused: Tell me what I should do.

JacksonsMom

I know next to nothing about the Cane Corso, but I had a friend who had a big Cane Corso and a tiny, like 4lb, Yorkie and they got along great. The Yorkie ruled that relationship. They had the Yorkie first.

Maura

Yea, I think getting the dog as a puppy should help a great deal. Dogs who are dog aggressive are often fine with their own housemates, even DA pitbulls. You'd also want to expose the puppy to as many puppies and dogs as possible, rewarding for good manners. You'll need to have a lot of control over a dog like this, so exposing him to temptation early will pay off.

Doberluv

My Doberman was what I'd call more on the side of dog reactive, but a little da sometimes in certain circumstances. But he was a wuss with my little girl Chihuahua. I had the Chi's first and a Lab when Lyric entered the picture as a puppy. As a puppy, it is likely he'll bond with your existing dog. If you were getting an adult Cane Corso, that could be a different story. There's just something about puppies and their imprinting to the established dogs. And depending on how young you get your puppy, he should be entitled to puppy license by the other dogs until he's about 4 months or thereabout.

We did have a spot of trouble for a while with him and my male Chihuahua. But we worked through it with some proactive training. So, sometimes the sex of the dogs can make a difference. It's no guarantee that you won't have trouble at some point, but it's much more in your favor with opposite sex and starting with a young puppy.

You might do well also, to discuss your concerns with some top breeders as you continue to do your research. Good luck. It is good you are searching out whatever you can find about this.

DA in CCs is like DA in APBTs. It's there, it's part of the breed. Not every dog has it, but when you get a pup you don't know if it's going to be the odd one that is affable with other dogs, one that will go for the idea that family is fine but still think other dogs should be shaken, not stirred, or the dead-on hot dog.

Two cold parents can produce pups in a litter that are hot. Hot parents can have cold offspring. You have to be prepared for it in any breed that's known to be DA by nature, and the more independent thinking and self-determined breeds, like CCs, aren't going to be as willing to give up their prejudices as breeds bred to be obedient like Dobermans.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Getting the opposite sex could help. As well as altering. Have you considered a different breed? I adore CC's as well. I have wanted one for a long time. I cant have one now or in the near future. The DA thing concerns me as well. I have been looking at a Fila insted. As I understand it (PLEASE correct me if Im wrong) they are not usually DA.

You're right, Jenn. That's one of the characteristics that makes the Fila breed unique among the mastiffs.

It's kind of funny to see them around toy breeds -- they usually let the little ones get by with murder and when things get too bad, they'll come and seek haven behind their owners rather than confront the toy.

And hey, Kharma hasn't eaten Tallulah yet, and Gods know she's had plenty of provocation :lol-sign:

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
Hmm... I would have thought getting an adult dog would help since you know what you get and you don't have to face the mystery of maybe having to crate and rotate once the puppy hits the maturity switch.

Or... look into Filas... I am never opposed to more Fila pics on Chaz. Soo... btw... Renee... *cough* *hint* *hint*

Sorry, Jules, I'm kinda camera challenged :( Don't have any extra to spend on film and developing and all I've got is my 35mm. It's pretty frustrating sometimes -- I've got the lenses I need to go with a DSLR :(

Crowsfeet

facetious.
Hmm... I would have thought getting an adult dog would help since you know what you get and you don't have to face the mystery of maybe having to crate and rotate once the puppy hits the maturity switch.

Or... look into Filas... I am never opposed to more Fila pics on Chaz. Soo... btw... Renee... *cough* *hint* *hint*
Uh huh, I was thinking the same thing....

I thought that if you were looking into adopting a pitty, if you found a suitable dog who is three years or older, and probably altered, and hasn't displayed any forms of aggression, then you were safe? So perhaps Cane Corsos are the same?

Doberluv

DA in CCs is like DA in APBTs. It's there, it's part of the breed. Not every dog has it, but when you get a pup you don't know if it's going to be the odd one that is affable with other dogs, one that will go for the idea that family is fine but still think other dogs should be shaken, not stirred, or the dead-on hot dog.

Two cold parents can produce pups in a litter that are hot. Hot parents can have cold offspring. You have to be prepared for it in any breed that's known to be DA by nature, and the more independent thinking and self-determined breeds, like CCs, aren't going to be as willing to give up their prejudices as breeds bred to be obedient like Dobermans.
I agree with this.

And obedience only goes so far, even in a Doberman when they have that trait. To a degree, it can be managed and they can learn to "behave" themselves pretty well, lol, but if it's in their nature, it's still something you have to be cautious about. Many Dobermans do have that tendency to da, especially the males.

That is interesting about Filas not tending so much toward da, where so many others of that type are. Personally, I wouldn't like to deal with da dogs again. LOL. It's a pita.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Actually, from all my time on the CC forums, it really doesn't seem like DA is that prevalent in the breed these days. On the forum I'm on, many of the members have multiple CCs that get along with each other quite well. From what I've read in the breed standards, DA isn't faulted, but its not really seen as a big part of the breed either. Its more common for a CC to be same-sex aggressive than completely DA.

It probably also depends on the lines you go with. Show lines would probably have a lot less chance for DA than old working lines (of which there don't seem to be many left).

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Thanks guys.

I am actually looking very closly at the Fila as well. Its pretty much between the Fila and the CC. I am going to try and get ahold of good breeders and talk to them more about it. I still have a while to do lots of research and all that jazz. Its just really frustating lol :)

Chewbecca

feel the magic

I thought that if you were looking into adopting a pitty, if you found a suitable dog who is three years or older, and probably altered, and hasn't displayed any forms of aggression, then you were safe? So perhaps Cane Corsos are the same?

Never safe from DA in a pit bull.
You can never say, "Whew! I'm in the clear!" when it comes to DA in pit bulls.
I try to be VERY careful as to which dogs my puppies are exposed to because I want their other dog interactions to be as positive as possible. Puppies are freakin' little sponges when it comes to what they pick up from other dogs.
I've seen in my own, and I've seen my own pick up things from other dogs.
They pick up behaviors from other dogs, just like children will pick up behaviors from other kids or adults.

Bailey08

JMO, but if you do not want a dog with dog aggression, then a breed with a tendency for DA is not going to be your perfect breed.

I truly love pitties. No other breed melts my heart in the same way. But, I already have a dog (who I truly adore), and I do not want to crate and rotate. So, as much as I love them, they just aren't the right breed for me.

Miakoda

Nope, not safe at all. I've heard many stories of older APBTs turning on (DA kicking in).

The bottom line is realistically understanding that you have a high probability of having a DA and accepting it and doing what you have to do to be responsible about keeping that dog and others safe.

It's the hardest thing to do, but sometimes if you just can't deal with that aspect, you have to walk away from the breed.

Members online

No members online now.