ACK! QUICK HELP! FLEAS! Ughughughugh

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I just found ****ing FLEAS on Marlee. NEVER dealt with fleas before, wtf do you do for them?! I can't use diatomacious earth or whatever, it's not proven safe with the ferrets and I'm not about to risk it. I'm assuming the dog brought the stupid things in, cause none of the ferrets have been out.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Well darn, I don't even have dawn dish soap xD

Thanks guys! I'm itchy, off to at least bathe everybody. Even if it doesn't help, I'll feel better

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Water and a bath with anything soapy will be fine if you don't have dawn. Just have them in water/soapy for as long as posible (that should drown/kill just about anything) and then comb/brush/blow dry everybody out.

Throw all pet stuff (bedding, hammocks, stuffies etc..) in the wash. ON HOT. Soap. typical stuff. then in the dryer, super hot.

I would do k9advantix on Rosey. (Frontline is basically water for fleas in my experience)

Good luck! Hate fleas. Ugh they are awful.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
well, I bathed Marlee in lemon juice diluted, cause it's what I found online and will at least stop me from having nightmares :p I'll go get some dawn tomorrow and do everybody and a thorough clean, I guess. Vet's not open til Tuesday, cause of stupid Thanksgiving, but I'm definitely talking to the rescue and being like WTF. I always thought she was just super itchy, as most ferrets are.

As far as my house, I think I'll just burn it with fire. Seems like a logical response.

Lyzelle

Put baking soda down on the carpets. Plenty of it. Leave it sit for a bit, then vacuum everything up. Wash everything else with either bleach or something very citrus-y. Boil lemons or something, whatever you have around.

As Fran said, throw everything else that can be in the laundry, HOT HOT water. If your washer doesn't get that hot, throw them in the bath tub in the hottest water you've got. Or boil a giant stockpot of water. I've also used vinegar in the past on the rinse cycle.

ETA: Furniture is a little trickier, especially if you don't have a steamer. But you can spray your cloth furniture down with a lemon extract, vinegar, grapefruit essential oil type of mix. Again, citrus-y.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I used Revolution on Dameon (and the rats). Dose of 7mg/kg. I think he got .11ml (he's 2.5lbs) of the <5lb application tube.

I also sprayed my entire apartment with Virbac's flea spray stuff (Knock Out?). Toxic to birds and fish, but safe to spray around other things in a well ventilated area. Doesn't discolor carpet or upholstery and is safe to use on pet beds.

So far, no more fleas! ^^

Shakou

You sure it's fleas? It's very rare for ferrets to get fleas due to their fur type.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
You sure it's fleas? It's very rare for ferrets to get fleas due to their fur type.
They can still get them pretty easily, especially if a dog or cat brings them into your home. From what I understand, they don't become infested as easily as dogs or cats, but they can definitely still get them.

Aleron

Never been my experience at all. I have had ferrets for many, many years and IME if anything, fleas tend to prefer them over the other creatures.

Also the idea that anything soap-y will kill fleas is not really true. The fleas often will appear dead after any sort of bath but as they dry off, they come back to life. Have seen it many times at the grooming shop when we didn't find fleas until the dog was out of the tub.

If anyone sells Bobby Pantar's Charlie Dog shampoo near you, that is a pretty good all natural flea shampoo that is safe for cats and ferrets. I have always used spot on on the ferrets, either Frontline or Advantage. If you have found fleas on one animal though, you really need to treat everyone and the environment.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
She came to me as a stray, not sure how long she was outside for. She had ticks when she came to me, didn't realise the fleas til now :-/

Everybody's definitely getting treated. Somebody told me I should use.. revolution I think.. hut she was treated with something (frontline?) Somewhat recently for ticks.... how long should be waited between treatments?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I think revolution and frontline have a different active ingredient and, according to my vet, should be safe. I'd say if she was treated with the frontline at least two weeks ago, it should be okay to treat her again.

Shakou

They can still get them pretty easily, especially if a dog or cat brings them into your home. From what I understand, they don't become infested as easily as dogs or cats, but they can definitely still get them.
It can happen, but it's rare. Something to do with the dander. Atleast that was the talk on some of the more knowledgeable ferret forums I use to frequent back when my Skipper was alive.

In anycase, I do think you can use frontline for cats, but I'd double check with a vet before doing anything.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
It can happen, but it's rare. Something to do with the dander. Atleast that was the talk on some of the more knowledgeable ferret forums I use to frequent back when my Skipper was alive.

In anycase, I do think you can use frontline for cats, but I'd double check with a vet before doing anything.
From what I've seen, ferret forums are a joke. Tis why i stopped bothering with them xD. They all live for buying a marshalls ferret from a pet store, calling it adopting it, and then feeding Marshalls food solely because its "the best nutrition you could ask for".

Probably 85% of the ferrets we get as strays come to us with fleas.

I ended up getting rid of them. Used a fine tooth comb and did it the hard way. XD

Brattina88

I was gonna say fine tooth comb and then setting a lamp & soapy dish flea trap in the house once they are put away and unable to go swimming in it lol. Darn, you beat me to it :eek:

Shakou

From what I've seen, ferret forums are a joke. Tis why i stopped bothering with them xD. They all live for buying a marshalls ferret from a pet store, calling it adopting it, and then feeding Marshalls food solely because its "the best nutrition you could ask for".

Probably 85% of the ferrets we get as strays come to us with fleas.

I ended up getting rid of them. Used a fine tooth comb and did it the hard way. XD
You clearly haven't seen Ferretattitude on Livejournal. Check it out sometime :3

Members online

No members online now.