Does your dog have a nemesis?

Slick

Kristina
I am wondering how common this is. Is there a dog or dogs that yours just does not like and will go out of their way to bark at?

My apartment is right outside of the complexes pool area. Lately, a couple has been hanging out there with their two dogs (one yorkie, one rat terrier). These dogs bark and yap at any dogs coming by. So, when we go outside for a potty break and they are out, they always storm over to the fence to bark, but Leo also has to hear them all the time barking at other dogs when he is inside.

He was fine with them in the beginning, but now he gets annoyed and barks/growls right back. Its gotten to the point that he is immediately on alert everytime we go outside and scans the pool area in order to see if the dogs are out and he can angrily bark at them. We could go out in the middle of the night and he is craning his neck to see if the dogs are out.

Does your dog have a nemesis?

teacuptiger

floor dancer
The neighbors cocker spaniel. It attacked Roxie last year and has gotten loose three times this year so far. The other day, Rox and I were just hanging out on the deck when suddenly, Roxie storms over to the side of the deck where there's a sidewalk 20ft away. She was barking like she wanted to tear something apart- I was totally taken aback (Roxie doesn't love other dogs, and she is reactive, but she's never acted aggressive before), went to check out what it was. I saw nothing, the dog must have moved behind the fenced portion of our yard.

Still, Roxie wouldn't stop and finally that dog comes back, peaks its head into the yard, Roxie just gets a fire under her butt about it. I went out to try and catch the sucker, which Roxie had a fit about. It ran away though and I couldn't grab it. Took a while before Roxie settled down again.

If that's not a nemesis, idk what. Roxie's never acted so much as territorial- she alert barks, but it's more to say, "oh hey, peeps be walkin by! Heeey y'all!". Her alert barking is just a doorbell. But that was something else.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Yes, Rowan's nemesis is Riff. :rofl1: They have a very love-hate relationship.

Beyond that, my dogs don't really have other dogs they explicitly dislike, but I saw it a lot at my last daycare. Dogs that just couldn't stand each other. One dog would constantly zone in on another when we let them all out after nap time, so we had to separate the two until everything settled down, or else he would chase him relentlessly. We had another couple of dogs, a Newfoundland and a Malamute, that *hated* each other and had to be kept separated at all times when they were both there, or else they would get into serious fights. Luckily the Mal didn't come very often, and also luckily that was really the only pairing that we had that 100% couldn't be around each other.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
There is one dog in my training group of friends that just seems to rub every dog the wrong way. Like they try to fit the dog in classes and everything goes to hell, etc. I don't know what it is about him but he sets EVERYONE off. Mia hates him. With a passion. I've noticed that this breed in general my dogs tend to hate.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
His name is Charlie. He is made of spit and hate and poison and worm guts. A horrible, horrible dog. So terrible, wow. Wesley hates him. They hate each other.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Growing up, my family dogs hated two neighborhood Aussies. Don't blame them, as the Aussies attacked them at any given opportunity. There was also a Lab/Chow mix that would set Rose off something AWFUL. But, I would dog sit for her, so once she became acquainted with me she was easy to tell off on walks and her and Rose's enmity became much more tolerated by the both of them and they stopped trying to eat each other at all turns.

houlahoops

Bailey had a big Akbash that he could. Not. STAND.

They have never gotten within spitting distance of each other, and the dog couldn't give two shakes about the cur dog screaming at him from across the field.

Mammoth hated everyone equally.

There is a female yellow lab the neighbors sometimes dog-sit who Maisy despises, and the feeling is definitely mutual. I haven't seen her for awhile, though.

mrose_s

BusterLove
A friends dog, the friend that I'm meant to move in with. She hates her guts. It's making it very difficult to plan moving.

Also one of my bosses old dogs. Hated her.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
As far as specific dogs go, there used to be a Westie in the apartment building up the road. Thing is, the door to the apartment was right on the sidewalk, and the owner let her dog sit with only a screen door as a barrier nearly all year round. So everytime someone passed the dog would freak out.

We got to the point where we would walk on the road to get around this dog because all of mine would start this weird little pull/growl/dance thing when we got close.

Haven't seen the dog in years, but the dogs still do that weird dance past the door.

Generally though German Shepherds and Huskies are on the "nemesis" list for most of my dogs.

Maxy24

Tucker hates all the dogs (except his three friends). He has a particular human nemesis though, we call him exercise man. Tucker never barks when people go by the house with the exception of exercise man. Exercise man generally jogs by the house every morning. All was well until one day the guy decided to do lunges up the street while holding a weight. You could actually see the confusion and horror take over Tucker's face when he saw it. Then he decided exercise man was an alien. Now he goes nutso whenever he passes the house, even just normal jogging. He can tell exercise man jogging from other non-alien people jogging, so that's good. Unfortunately exercise man jogs at 6am, so that's less good.

NeNe

Yes, Tizzie, a Dorkie. Tizzie lives across the street but had been in Arizona with her owners when we adopted Grace. Well, on their return from Arizona Tizzie was sniffing around our yard not realizing that Grace, our new dog, was watching her from inside our fence . Grace barked and Tizzie jumped about 2 feet in the air and they have hated each other ever since. When I walk Grace she always has to pee in Tizzies yard.

Members online

No members online now.