Small dog folks....help please!

JacksonsMom

I think the mini bull and german pinscher might be a bit more than I'm looking for.........they are both terriers yes?

The boston though, Hmmmm a terrier yes but a bit more mild, at least what I've seen of them in person
Oh my, every Boston I've ever met has been super high strung, very bouncy and head strong. I don't think mild when I think Boston ever, lol.

DenoLo

My Shih Tzu/ toy poodle mix is pretty much all of that, with the exception of grooming. I find her coat to be fairly easy, but she gets professionally groomed every 8 weeks. If not for being clipped short, it'd be tough.

As far as the rest of it goes, she's 7.5 lbs, very easy as far as exercise needs. She likes to play with her toys, but she really doesn't demand any exercise at all. I can rev her up pretty easily, and we play fetch and agility, but she'd be just as happy being held like a baby honestly lol.

Also not much of a barker at all.

The boston though, Hmmmm a terrier yes but a bit more mild, at least what I've seen of them in person
Mildness would really depend on the dog. There are some mild bostons (like my Joey). And there are some high strung and busy bostons (like my Lucy). They are all pretty goofy and love their people. Mine aren't big barkers unless there is someone at the door or a really loud strange noise. Grooming is incredibly easy. They can vary in sizes from about 15-25 lbs. Mine are both about 20.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Go up a few pounds and go for a Miniature Schnauzer (not like I'm biased). They have the most wonderful off-switch, we can hike for miles one day, and then laze about for a week and they'd be fine with it. Though they're not what I'd consider yappy, they will alert at most things.

Others I'd suggest would be Brussels, Dachshund, Toy or Mini Poodle (again you'd have to go higher than 10lbs for the Mini though may be slightly more active than you're looking for).

Grab

We're big fans of Shih tzus here. I've rarely met an unpleasant one and they're happy go lucky little guys. Obviously we're fans of Poodles as well. Very fun dogs.

I'd suggest a Brussels Griffon as well..Nog is up for anything...be it a walk or a nap. Not demanding. Very, very pleasant little guy. And the other Brussels owners I've met have said the same about theirs. Also, everyone who meets him wants to take him home, so I'm guessing he comes off as pleasant to others as well, lol

Zoom

Twin 2.0
With the exception of the weight, I think a Cavalier might work well for you. Single coated, so just regular brushing to avoid tangles. Super cuddly, not all that barky from the ones I've been around. Then again, "barky" is measured against Aussies so...take that as you will.

Saeleofu

I know a shih tzu in need of a home :popcorn:

Really, though, I've come to love shih tzus. Most of the ones I've met are very pleasant and just really laid back. I don't recall EVER meeting a nippy or barky one. And they look adorable shaved or with long hair.

I know two brussels. One is all OMG HI I LOVE YOU HOLD ME (he loves to be help on his back like a baby) and the other is pretty laid back. Both are very barky, though. But that's the extent of my experience with the breed. They're freaking adorable, though.

Why do people,always,think that small dogs needs little exercise.
I know 3 of the 4 breeds that you mentioned,quite well and they need quite a bit of exercise.Dont know about the Bichon.
As for the Pomeranian(not mentioned),I use to bicycle,with one and he was happiest when being well exercised(2hrs minimum a day).
That dog is what made me look into the breed cos he was such a cool dog.

ACooper

Golden, I don't automatically think a little dog needs little exercise......hence the thread asking for information ;)

I currently have a doberman, (raised from a puppy) and we lost our border collie mix last year.....execising either of them enough was/is sometimes a challenge for us!

We want a small dog companion, who takes up less traveling space who doesn't require a ton of exercise to be happy/healthy.

P.S.....with all the Havanese votes, they are not only added to the list but will be rocketed to the top! When so many chazzers agree on something.........it's definitely a sign! hahahahaha

Last edited:
To the OP,
Wasn't ranting about you but in general as I hear often enough and have to contradict them
What about the Shih-Tzu:rofl1:great little dog but not as active as a small terrier or a Pap?.
I also like the CKC.Could fit the bill as they can be as active as you want them,to be.

Last edited:

Barb04

Super Moderator
All I can say is I just LOVE the yorkie who lives next to us! He's so adorable, sweet, playful, etc.......

joce

The Havaneese we fostered was the most chill dog ever! Very smart, not yappy, and happy to just hang around the house with you.

But most little dogs are harder to house train. I know many that had very hard times with yorkies and shitzus.

I think energy wise sometimes bigger are calmer. My dobe was better with one walk than my cousins Yorkie who goes goes goes. All of my grandmas shar peis are very relaxed. But harder to travel with since bigger. Though my grandpa takes one with him everywhere!!

I find it interesting that no one mentioned pugs.

They will probably be over your 10lb limit, but minimal grooming, most are pretty layed back, but enjoy a good walk. They seem to meet a lot of your requirements.

I think Caveliar King Charles would be a good fit also. I think their coat basically just needs brushing. They have a rep for being mild mannered and not big barkers. I have never owned one but have always wanted to. Of course they are expensive and have some substantial health concerns so you would have to pick one after alot of research and screening of the breeders. Hummm?

Members online

No members online now.