I want to get a dog

Julie

I am back again.
magika said:
Hi, im new here.
Since moving out of my parents home ive been wanting to get a dog. I love dogs and always wanted one of my own. Me and my boyf live in a 2 bedroom apartment with a largish balcony ,we're 1 floor up. I dont even know if our landlord will allow us to keep one here - i should ask really. But would keeping a dog here be ok/ fair you think? I would love for it to have a garden to play in but it looks like we'll be living here a while =(
Of course i would take it for walks everyday and there is always 1 person at home.
It will be my 1st time keeping a dog. anyone got any advice ??
if someone from the dogs home was to do a home check- what would they look for/ ask?

thanks
You sound like you are thinking about the right things....
Checking with your landlord would be a first step.
Ask him/her about a small dog. I would go sm-med definately.
Not saying a big dog can't live in an apartment.

Next I would research and read read read. And ask lots of questions here :D
About: Housebreaking, nutrition, mixes and breeds, behaviors to watch out for, immunizations, health, vets, worms, fleas, training, etc.

Once you realize how much a dog will change your life, you might be ready for one.

Visit your local shelters etc. Dogs are literally dying there everyday. You could save a life. Not to mention the cost you will save there verses paying an outlandish price from a "breeder".

Because this is your first dog, some things you should watch for to make life a little easier....
Ask about behavior.
Food aggression?
House broken?
Health problems?
Altered?
Breed Characteristics?
Activity levels?
Etc.
Of course you might not get answers to all these, but it might help in finding the right dog for you.

Best of Luck,
Julie.

Ask lots of questions - you will learn more doing that, than just wondering...

keyodie

Keyozilla
Wow Julie that's some good advice. :D

Yeah get an older dog...so he/she doesn't break every piece of furniture in your apartment. :) Yeah you're welcome to ask as many questions as you like here. You will most likely get an answer.

M

Manchesters

Chihuahuas are actually great little dogs....especially if you get one from an educated breeder who is not just breeding for money. Also Toy Manchesters are great, but you can hardly find them anywhere.

yoko

i think it would be fine to have a dog in an apartment, i rent a room from a lady and i have yoshi. i think yoshi's going to get bigger than i thought but it's ok :D i take her outside and play fetch and take her for walks all the time.

if you are worried about like humane society saying no to having no backyard. i understand. a lot of places here want you to take the dog as an inside dog, but you have to have a backyard.

you can always get from the pound, that's where i got yoshi. but you have to remember if your pound is like ours, they don't know much about the dog just approximate age and a guess at the breed. and they kill dogs every like... 14 days or so.

but where ever you get a dog make sure it's a dog you want so that in a few years it doesn't turn into something you can't handle nd it ends up in the same place it was when you got it

Members online

No members online now.