i´m guessing most of the members here are american...Q

I live in Sweden and a few days ago i was watching an old episode of " the newlie weds" ( jessica& nick )
They were at a pet store where they sold puppys ! is that normal in the US ?
the puppys were stressed, crowded and eating "poo"

and is it usual for ppl to get there dog (s) from a pet store?
are the puppys old enough to be seperated from their mothers ?

Crazy... :eek: :mad:

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
yes some pet stores here do sell puppies and kitties (not many though). Most pet stores now are trying to get people to realize the importance of rescuing dogs and cats from shelters so they will not sell them in their stores. Sometimes they will let shelters bring in dogs or cats from their shelter to hang around the store for a day to help adopt them out though.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yes, there are many stores that sell puppies and most of the time the pups are too young to be seperated, but who cares in the name of profit? :rolleyes::mad: It's an abhorrent practice, but there are very dumb people out there who don't care about anything past those cute puppy eyes. Many of those dogs end up in shelters. :(

Very few to none of the people on here have pet store dogs and everyone on here is very vocal about how bad those stores are and how horrific the places that sell the puppies to the stores are.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Are there no pet stores in Sweden? Does everyone get their dogs through breeders? I'm curious and really have no clue.

we do have pet stores but they sell rats, mice, birds and animal food .. fish, fish tanks aso..
you would never ever find a puppy 4 sale.. or kittens ftm..

not all ppl buy from breeders ( i didnt ) i found my first dog in a magazine add, they said he was an " accident " ( unlikely, but i was naiv ) my other dog is from a shelter.
but most ppl get their dogs from breeders.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
the sale of dogs and cats at pet stores is not permitted in many european countries, and even in those where it is allowed, not many do it.

i'm german and in the immediate area where i lived for the past 14 years before i moved to the US, (i'd say about 100 miles driving radius) i only knew of two pet stores that sold puppies regularly.

rocco&quiras mama, if you are interested in learning more about the topic of pet store puppies and the places they come from, google the term "puppy mill". it's very sad.

Yes there are lots of stores here that sell puppies and kittens. I refer to stores that sell only pet supplies "pet stores" and stores that sell puppies and kittens "pet shops". I never buy anything from a store that sells puppies and kittens. I go and find a different store that doesn't support animal abuse. But just because we have horrible things like these does not mean we are a bad country :)

Are you Swedish? My dad is :)

skyhigh

In Australia there are lots o atores that sell pups and kittens. But they are starting to go down in numbers

Fran27

Actually there are no laws in Europe against petstores selling puppies and kittens either. There are quite a few in France... They usually come from puppy mills from Eastern Europe.

Eeeeek! Yea there are some pet stores that sell puppies & kittens. But as dog lovers, should know better to not your puppy from a pet store. Should always be getting the puppy from a breeder!

Pickleweed

Saje

Island dweller
Fran27 said:
Actually there are no laws in Europe against petstores selling puppies and kittens either. There are quite a few in France... They usually come from puppy mills from Eastern Europe.

France is not in Europe Fran?? LOL just teasing

I'm British. I can't remember the last time I saw puppies sold in a petshop (except here in South Korea where it's common).

I've never seen a puppies or kittens in a pet shop and Im from the UK. People generally advertise them in free newspapers- Breeders, accidental crossbreeds, and shelters aswell.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Unfortunately, it is far too common. Around here, you're hard-pressed to find a pet store that doesn't sell puppies or kittens. It's one of the reasons that I do a lot of my shopping at petco and petsmart, I just can't bring myself to give money to businesses that more or less allow and encourage the puppy mill/byb problem to continue. :(

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
I'm in Spain, and was shocked when I first saw dogs & cats for sale in a petshop here, my mother in law even saw some puppies for sale at the local outdoor market - poor babies.

Fran27

Saje said:
France is not in Europe Fran?? LOL just teasing
Yes, but Germany is as well and someone said there are none for sale there, which I find very weird. Honestly, 90% of the petshops I've seen in France had some for sale, unfortunately.

Staff online

Members online