Question - Tatooing or Microchip?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Which did you have done with your dog? and why

My puppy came with a Tatoo in his ear, but I was wondering about the microchip.. is it even worth while if the pup has a tatoo?? How exactly does the microchip work and where is it placed. Can it cause problems in the future?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
My dogs have microchips. I didn't like the tattooing because I heard if people wanted to steal your dog they would cut off the ear or piece of skin the tatoo is on. The vet just gave a little shot in the scruff of his neck and that's basically it. To detect them they just use a scanner and sweep the dogs body. I have heard of cases where the microchip moved to the dogs legs and things so that's something to be aware, but have never heard of it causing any problems.

Oh and I've heard there are three main types of chips and one chip can only be read by a certain type of scanner. The other two are read by the other scanner. I have avid chip because it is what my humane society and most vets around here have.

Y

yuckaduck

Yuck is microchipped and Dallas is tatooed but when Dallas arrives she will be going in for a microchip right away. Safer, not able to be removed so if the dog is stolen no one can remove or alter the microchip.

Yup same here ours are chipped.Dog thefts are on the rise here so better with the chip so it doesnt fade.I got our Humane society to do them.Much cheaper than at the vets too.I also think it is not as painful as a tatoo is.

Y

yuckaduck

German Sheperd Gurl said:
Yup same here ours are chipped.Dog thefts are on the rise here so better with the chip so it doesnt fade.I got our Humane society to do them.Much cheaper than at the vets too.I also think it is not as painful as a tatoo is.

My vet charges $60 per chip and they do a check up too. Gotta have a check up. THe vets here will not do anything without paying for a $45 check up first.

None of my dogs are microchipper or tatooed, but I'm thinking of getting them chipped. One thing to remember though is that if your dog gets lost and a shelter finds him, they have to have a certain thing to identify his chip. Not all shelters and veterinary clinics have the right scanner for every chip brand.

Y

yuckaduck

The avid microchips are readable with the new and the old scanners. That is what I got Yuck chipped with and I plan to chip Dallas the second she arrives.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
yuckaduck said:
The avid microchips are readable with the new and the old scanners. That is what I got Yuck chipped with and I plan to chip Dallas the second she arrives.
I have the avid chip too. Summer Riot I would just check around and see what scanner/chips the humane society in your area is using.

I have both, microchip and a tattoo because the tattoo becomes hard to read over time. The chip currently isn't registered though so the company I was with went out of business, so I'm wondering, is it ok to have two chips? Will the dead one mess with reading the new one? I lost the info for the dead chip so I can't just revive it with Avid like what was supposed to be done.

filarotten

Fila the love
Brutus and Roxie have the homeagain chip. More vets are going to it now, according to my vet and web. Supposedly most shelters are supposed to have scanners that can read both. Even if their's is outdated it will still show a chip in place. And they can get the appropriate one to read it. Maggie I have not had done yet as they want to put her to sleep while doing it,since she is small.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
microchips are inert chips that only retain one piece of information: a number, which is entered into a database.

currently there are several different standards, but agencies worldwide are working together, trying to come up with one standard that everyone will adhere to.

for anyone who is thinking about chipping, i strongly recommend the AVID chip over anything else, for several reasons:
- AVID has been tested and approved for many different animals, not just dogs and cats. their chips have been used in horses for a long time, and even small animals like birds and fish can be chipped for identification and AVID guarantees the chip.
- even tho some proprietary scanners can not read the AVID chips, they will still indicate that a chip is present, unlike some others who will just ignore chips they can't read.
- for AVID chips, there is no gap in documentation between the time an animal is chipped and the information is passed on to the database for registering. AVID chips are not sold before they have been registered with an initial contact (vet, shelter, rescue, breeder).
- AVID sells to individuals directly, so you don't have to go through a vet. makes it more likely for breeders to chip puppies or kittens before they go to their new homes.
- compared to AVID chips, home again is overpriced. AVID chips are available for as little as $25 per chip and you only have to pay $6 or so to change the details in the database from the original entity the chip was registered to (vet, shelter, rescue, breeder), while home again chips for example are over $60 and enrollment in their database is an additional $17.50.
- last but not least, AVID makes a chip in euro format, which you can get at the same cost as their regular chip type. this chip can be read by scanners in countries outside of the US as well. might come in handy if someone travels with their dog for a reason.

Members online