Mellow dog bullied by new dog. New dog attacks.

deneice

Hi I have a recent add to my household. Toby. He is 2 years old , Chi mix. He is definitely a bully. He plays too rough but most of my dogs (who are all small and much older) put him in his place. However , Toby has singled out my Pom Rusty to "attack". Rusty has always been a nervous nell. He paces around and is always sweeping the room with his eyes. I would call him wary. Rusty is terrified and it seems to fuel Toby to attack more often. When I say attack I mean that out of no where Toby will jump on Rusty and grab him by the back of the neck and ear. Its not playing either. Toby will lock down on him and not let go. Rusty cant fight back because Toby has him pinned. There has been blood . So I need help on 2 fronts. What to do to stop Toby from bulling and attacking . And how to get Rusty to stop being so afraid of Toby. Please help if you are a trainer or behaviorist. Thank you.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
If there has been blood, you need to stop letting these two dogs be out together immediately.

You might be able to work on this, but you must also understand and accept the possibility these two dogs will never be able to safely co-exist together. You need to find a behaviorist locally who can help you in person, not online.

milos_mommy

You need to at least temporarily keep these dogs fully seperated. Every incident is going to make the problem A LOT worse. Preferably keep them fully separated in different rooms but if that's not possible use a baby gate or crate.

You do need to work with a professional, preferably a behaviorist rather than a trainer, although a good positive reinforcement trainer may be able to help you.

Id also keep the new dog fully seperated from your other dogs unless closely supervised. Any chance he has to fight another dog is going to be a huge setback and make this harder to fix.

A behaviorist will be able to help you slowly reintroduce the dogs. Beanie is right, they may never be able to be together peacefully, but there's a good chance they can with the right training.

It seem to me that Rusty NEEDS to be afraid of the new dog. Poor fella.

I'm with the others - your new addition needs to be kept separate for a while - if not forever, while you find someone to help you.

Members online

No members online now.