Do hyper dogs theoretically have to have drives/motivation?

JayBear

I don't think Drive and Hyper is the same now after owning a Border Collie.

My other dog was hyper.. just mad as a box of frogs when I got her as a rescue and unfortunately was told she needed loads of exercise which seemed to make it worse.

I was expecting my young male collie to be a real handful thinking that a pedigree collie would be more hyper than a cross with a bit of collie in it.

He's the complete opposite! ..round house he's real chilled out and happy to just lie and snooze but when I want him to do a job for me (I trained him to help me round the house) he's up and focused on his job, or get his ball out and he's ready for a good game of ball and totally focused but again he's not hyper in the same 'bouncing off the walls' type of way my other one was as a young dog.

If we see sheep in a field I can tell he instinctively knows that they are but he's kept on a lead and the other side of the fence and wall, he's allowed to look then we carry on. To channel his 'herding instincts' I use a large boomer ball cos its too big for him to big up he 'herds' it round the garden. I put up tunnels and posts for him to herd the ball round and he loves it...again he's totally focused on getting that ball round the garden but isn't 'hyper', he's methodical and can work out how to get the ball round the course and through the tunnels, without getting so giddy he can't think straight!

He gets excited in a different way when we have visitors for first few minutes they're here then he calms down after they're in and fussed him, so I would say it was a different thing, certainly for him it is.

Members online

No members online now.