Dilemma

She's okay lol - I just made it a priority to take her out as much as possible to meet people, animals etc so that she didn't have any issues later on. I was pleasantly surprised that she is able to discern so well as we hardly had people over at the house. The rest she takes credit for as an intelligent girl and the strong instincts of her breed - and of course you for your great guidance and help.

Do Fila typical females get HUGE? The last I saw of one, she was around Kat's size and height...of course that could have changed since then.... IMO it would not be unmanageably large.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Is the kuvasz not with either of you anymore?

Why not get one of those Romy?
She is at the moment. She's great, but like I explained at the beginning of the thread she's only temporary, the fluffy white coat is hugely impractical for the part of the country I live in, and she's a chronic sock eater so has to be confined at night.

If they made kuvasz in a smooth/short coat I'd get one in a heartbeat. It's just that in the winter she never fully dried off in between going in and outside, and was constantly mud mud mud. I felt really bad for her. In a dryer area it wouldn't be an issue but I don't plan to move out of the state ever. Also, while they're super awesome they don't really have any interest in tracking and no prey drive.

This is what she looked like most of the winter. And we get so much rain in the spring and fall it isn't much better. Our soil is pure sand so it's not even as horrendous as it could be. A lot of the surrounding areas I'm looking at moving to have clay soil. :eek:

Filas have a lot of what kuvasz have (protection ability, dog friendliness) plus a smooth coat, strong tracking ability, and prey drive.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
What about a boxer? Gavroche can be downright terrifying, and nothing slips past him. They're a bit on the smaller side, especially if you get a female (which I would recommend, since males can be jerks with other dogs...like Gavroche). Only thing is I don't know if Gavroche's reactions are typical of boxers, since he's my first and I can't even say if he's purebred. He freaking LOVES kids, though, and will protect them with his life if he had to. He hates, hate, HATES water, but jumped in the pool multiple times when my nephew was "in danger" (not really in danger, but Gavroche though he was!). I need to get a video of him barking at church solicitors ones of these days, he's terrifying. And he has GRIP. I would not want to get on this dog's bag side. He's shown an inclination for scenting, too, and I was actually going to start a thread earlier on introducing nosework because he's such a sniffer lol.
I second looking into the Boxer. Coming from good lines, I think your chances of SSA are going to drop DRASTICALLY. Look into the European lines, as they have a "rougher" appearance than the American lines. The European lines resemble more of an American Bulldog and tend to be bigger. Have you looked into American Bulldogs at all? My inlaws have them, and they are definitely intimidating and have protective instincts. Their last American Bull would not let a new person out of their vehicle and would do a bark and hold on them. I haven't done a ton of research on them, but from what I've seen personally, they have been super great with kids and are good with my dogs as well.

As far as Boxers go, I have a female out of a BYB. She is typically good with dogs, but is slightly reactive towards large males. However, she wasn't always, and I blame it on the handful of attacks she has been involved in by large males. I was a little bit worried about SSA with her, which is why I got a male cattle dog; however, we are fostering a female right now and they get along super well. They had a pretty good tuft early on, but now can co-exist well. I will say that when a Boxer gets into a fight, they either scream and run away, or they mean it.

As far as protectiveness and watchfulness, they can be scary. Just last night, Harlow spotted deer in our backyard and charged the window barking. She has also "corrected" Josh when she was younger about getting too rough with me. She is vary wary when we are out and about, and is very watchful about her surroundings. She often checks behind us if we are on a walk, and though greets most people with the wiggle butt, we have met a few people she just doesn't trust. I feel a lot safer with her in the house, especially since Josh is now on third. Lol.

ETA: I've been looking into European line breeders for the future, and have a few I really like. If you are interested, PM me.

Have you looked into American Bulldogs at all? My inlaws have them, and they are definitely intimidating and have protective instincts.
They can be very DA, and there are a whole...lot...of shady AB breeders out there, and a whole lot of unstable dogs. Especially in the Johnson lines, IME.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Get a Standard Poodle, and keep it clipped down. They are alert, protective, and intelligent.
Having been charged by a standard poodle last week at work, when I rounded the corner too quickly, I agree. lol
That's what I was going to suggest. Wesley is a great alarm. We don't really need it, but hey.

ETA, in my experience they're a little wary of strangers you have over at first but warm up fast.

Flyinsbt

Having been charged by a standard poodle last week at work, when I rounded the corner too quickly, I agree. lol
The other advantage to a Poodle is that they generally aren't DA.

My friend's Poodles are very protective of her. Her youngest Poodle went off on someone that tried to approach my friend from behind, when the Poodle was still only about a year old. And she's a real friendly dog, she just is a little suspicious of unusual behavior. Which is typical for the breed. They notice things.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
The other advantage to a Poodle is that they generally aren't DA.

My friend's Poodles are very protective of her. Her youngest Poodle went off on someone that tried to approach my friend from behind, when the Poodle was still only about a year old. And she's a real friendly dog, she just is a little suspicious of unusual behavior. Which is typical for the breed. They notice things.
Wesley is very people-alert and picks up on everything. I'd walked with my sister to run into CVS late one night last summer, she went in and I was outside, and Wesley was just watching people come and go calmly. Then he saw a sketchy looking guy that was just loitering, and started growling really softly and was on high alert. The boys are also pretty sizable, height-wise, too.

An adult rescue may not be a bad way to go, though?
Possibly, but the potential for dog-reactivity, SSA or dog-selectivity worries me even with a rescue because you don't always know what you get until you bring it home (and even then, some of that may take awhile to come out - mine was very DA outside of my home and DS inside of it). And the very rough, wrestling, punching, mouthy play style of most ABs can get real old, real fast with sighthounds.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Possibly, but the potential for dog-reactivity, SSA or dog-selectivity worries me even with a rescue because you don't always know what you get until you bring it home (and even then, some of that may take awhile to come out - mine was very DA outside of my home and DS inside of it). And the very rough, wrestling, punching, mouthy play style of most ABs can get real old, real fast with sighthounds.
That is true. Okay, carry on, dismiss my statement about AB's. Lol!

Gypsydals

I would suggest a Dalmatian but you don't want white. But even with them being white. they have short coats, so even if they do get muddy once it dries it just flakes right off. The only draw back, is there is no sneaking up on someone in the dark. Not that a Dal would be quiet enough to do that. :rolleyes: They are good with kids, other dogs for the most part(Ivan is an exception to that, but he is well Ivan) , and are excellent watch/guard dogs.

Another one would be a Standard poodle, but black. I don't know why but black dogs tend to scare the bejebus out of people. Everytime we are out walking the dogs, everyone wants to pet Ivan and he could give two poops about them, and advoid Peewee who isn't even all black.

I was told by Ivans breeder if you can handle 3. 4 isn't that big of a deal. Its going from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3.

Romy

Taxiderpy
OH MY GOSH I COULD HAVE A GUARD BUFFALO!!!

:rofl1:

I'm just trying to imagine someone's reaction to getting barked at and charged by one.

St. poodles are another one that I haven't met a lot of great examples of. Will definitely keep an eye out. My aunt has a standard poodle/brittany cross that is very very sweet, but can't focus worth anything and is very bird-doggy, though I don't know how much of that is coming through the poodle mom or brittany dad, or both. I think a st poodle would definitely get along better with the zois.

Strider has a bum shoulder and doesn't tolerate a lot of wrestling and body slamming. Kat loves to wrestle and wrestles all day with Kaia, but both girls are really conscientious and careful of him because he does loud and dramatic corrections. She adjusts her playing around Strider to a lot of running in circles and dramatic play bowing. Are boxers pretty physical when they play?

noludoru

Bored Now.
How about you get a zoi and I'll get a fila, and we call it even.

Both zois are 31" and weigh 75-85 lbs depending on whether they're at field or bench weight. I look at them and think, holy crap a 130 lb dog would be HUGE.
If you breed Kaia or your breeder has an adult return, e might have a deal. I'd have to come out to visit and make sure it's the right decision, though. :p

Sight hound weight is different than most dogs - especially Mastiffs. They weigh about 30% less than they look like they weigh. A 120lb Fila is going to be 3-5 inches shorter than a Zoi. Nowhere near as "big." Every one I've met has been startlingly small for their weight. They're dense.

I wouldn't do poodles - nowhere near enough protective instincts. A boxer will not go well with Strider. The Fila is just the

Tahla9999

OH MY GOSH I COULD HAVE A GUARD BUFFALO!!!

:rofl1:

I'm just trying to imagine someone's reaction to getting barked at and charged by one.

St. poodles are another one that I haven't met a lot of great examples of. Will definitely keep an eye out. My aunt has a standard poodle/brittany cross that is very very sweet, but can't focus worth anything and is very bird-doggy, though I don't know how much of that is coming through the poodle mom or brittany dad, or both. I think a st poodle would definitely get along better with the zois.

Strider has a bum shoulder and doesn't tolerate a lot of wrestling and body slamming. Kat loves to wrestle and wrestles all day with Kaia, but both girls are really conscientious and careful of him because he does loud and dramatic corrections. She adjusts her playing around Strider to a lot of running in circles and dramatic play bowing. Are boxers pretty physical when they play?
I am very tempted to get a Standard Poodle and clip it this way. A barking buffalo is enough of a deterrent for anyone.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Just based on this alone...
Gets along with other dogs
Strong watchdog and/or guarding ability
Smooth or medium coat (like a GSD type coat)

Preferences:

Tracking ability
Prey Drive
Not white
35-110 lbs. Bigger is okay but prefer something I can lift.

Of actual breeds, the SSA potential wiped most of them off the list. And with any of the LGDs, I strongly prefer to raise them from puppies myself.
Have you considered a Spanish Mastiff at all? Seems like they would be a pretty good fit. I don't think they are DA as a whole, they're big, they're short coated, they aren't white, and they are your typical LGD when it comes to protectiveness. They're supposed to be brilliant with kids, too.

Romy

Taxiderpy
If you breed Kaia or your breeder has an adult return, e might have a deal. I'd have to come out to visit and make sure it's the right decision, though. :p

Sight hound weight is different than most dogs - especially Mastiffs. They weigh about 30% less than they look like they weigh. A 120lb Fila is going to be 3-5 inches shorter than a Zoi. Nowhere near as "big." Every one I've met has been startlingly small for their weight. They're dense.

I wouldn't do poodles - nowhere near enough protective instincts. A boxer will not go well with Strider. The Fila is just the
People are always stunned at how little my dogs weigh for their height. But then I've seen some really substantial males that are really hefty too. Kaia's two brothers that were kept back are 34" and 110-120 lbs fit. They make Strider look like a pixie.

You should totally come out here! You can meet my zois, and we could go to her breeders house and you can meet a ton of zois. We're planning to breed her on her next season which should be late summer, so.. winter puppies. Shoot me now. Her half brother was just recently bred to a female in FL too.

We had one return from her first litter because the resident spaniel was getting more and more aggressive to the puppy. She has a great home now, but stuff like that definitely happens.

You could have your very own murderous bone collector!

I keep getting sucked back to filas. A buffadoodle would be rad, but then I'm like, mmm, raccoon hunting, and go back to thinking about filas or some kind of cur. I could put a fila on coyotes with my zois too. And that would be awesome. I wish they'd firm up the regulations with hounds and coyotes because some years it's fine and other years it's not.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Just based on this alone...

Have you considered a Spanish Mastiff at all? Seems like they would be a pretty good fit. I don't think they are DA as a whole, they're big, they're short coated, they aren't white, and they are your typical LGD when it comes to protectiveness. They're supposed to be brilliant with kids, too.
Oooh, actually I looked at them ages ago and really liked what I saw. Do they hunt at all or are they more specific to LGD function only? If I remember right, they're an ancestor breed of the fila, but then filas have hound and stuff blended in over the years too.

ETA: I fail at replying

I am very tempted to get a Standard Poodle and clip it this way. A barking buffalo is enough of a deterrent for anyone.
Somebody needs to create an entire herd of them. AN ENTIRE HERD.

Members online