Public transport

GipsyQueen

For those of you who live in/near a city - when did you start training going on public transport?

We'd like Chinook to not be afraid of the train/bus/Subway etc.

I'd love to start when I can still carry her on the train (Theres generally a pretty big gap between the train and the platform) and after Gipsy slipped into the gap with her hind legs once I'm kind of nervous having her walk on the train on her own the first few times.
I have no idea if she'll be too young though when she's small enough - because she's getting huge fast. :eek:

Freckles

Well we have had many experiences like this with my brothers dog freckles.
First u need really good treats the dog likes, then you start far away and begin to inch them closer and u must keep their attention, If this fails don't give up keep trying! I hope this was helpful!:)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Started a few days after I got him :) I started by sitting on the platform and just giving him treats (the train is really loud) so we just hung out and did treats while trains came and left..
as soon as he was tugging and having fun I picked him up and brought him on the train, he sat on my lap the first few days and then I transitioned to the seat next to me (LOOK HOW LITTLE HE WAS!)

these days.. this is Merlin during rush hour :rofl1: perhaps he is a bit too comfortable with the train?

IMO start young and make sure to keep it positive! Carry her if you aren't sure about footing and take the time to sit back and let them get used to the noise first (like on the platform or let a bus come/go)

oh and bring bags and wipes.. some dogs get sick with the strange motion and you will want to be prepared just in case!

Members online

No members online now.