Talk about intuitive...

Doberluv

(Sorry this little story got so long. LOL.)

This is so weird. Tonight at our CGC class, I was exhausted from the get go...got up at the crack of dawn, worked hard physically all day and it was 94 degrees out.

Anyhow, starting out, the trainer would say something for us to do and I somehow missed it and would be staring off into space. I was really not focused at all. I kept having delayed reactions and just a bumbling idiot. I noticed Lyric, who is usually very good in class, was also totally spaced out. I mean, he was out - to - lunch. :eek: I'd start walking and he was heading off in the opposite direction. He kept on doing this and staring off into their pasture or something. I said, "LYRIC, what on earth?" Then it hit me. It's not just Lyric. It's me!!!! We were both stumbling around completely out of sync and aimless.

Then finally, I started paying attention and VIOLA! So did Lyric. He got right back on track. He was even used as the demonstration dog. His stays are good and I can pull on the long line or leash while he stays and he doesn't budge. And he showed them how to come really, really fast when called and plop down into a nice front/sit. And he was nice about the other dogs, no inproprieties. I was so proud of my 'Leeeeeery boy.

He lets everyone pat him, though he is a tad suspicious about the whole thing, but not shy. Then he warms up in a couple seconds, especially when he smells treats. He didn't mind when I hid behind a building, out of sight, when the trainier held his leash. He does need practice with strangers examining him. He's a little skeptical there, but not too bad. He doesn't mind the vet doing it, but I didn't practice that enough when he was younger.

This may be hard to understand. I mean, lots of dogs....no big deal. My Lab wouldn't have cared less, nor would my Chihuahuas. But Dobermans are often tending toward being a "one man/family dog." And they can be somewhat suspicious, aloof, reserved, whatever you want to call it...around strangers. It's part of what makes them protective. They need to watch, size up and assess everything first before they'll completely accept it...extremely sensative to everything. But when they do accept you, watch out....they'll be your friend and protector forever...Lyric has protected my niece before, he likes her so much. But this suspicion should never be turned into aggression indiscriminately. And they come in varying temperaments, but this is pretty much typical and standard.

So, we shall see how it goes with the examining thing and a few other things he needs practice with...only two more classes and then the test. A-h-h-h-h....how will that be enough time? I don't have enough strangers around here and plus, who wants to mess around, examining teeth, ears, feet, tummy etc of a Doberman they never met before? Lots of people are afraid of Dobermans. I've had a few people ask if they could pat my dog and there they are, patting away and he's just hoky dory with it, and they ask what kind of dog is he? (can you believe it?) And when I tell them, they jerk their hand back. LOL. :rolleyes:

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
My kelpie took the test two weeks ago, passed with flying colours!
Hope you do well, and remember, dogs pick up on your nerves. Well i know May sure as hell does, lol.

Doberluv

Oh, cool Bridey! Did you even tell us about that your kelpie? Congrats! What areas did you need to work on more or that you wondered if he'd do OK on? Every dog in the class has things they're good at and things they need to practice and they're all different. You are so right. They definitely don't miss anything where our moods are concerned. And I'm sure I'll be nervous. I'll just have to be a really good actor that night. LOL.

Thanks Barb and Bridey for your wishes. I'll be sure and let you know how it all goes. The trainer thought he'd be fine. But maybe she was using positive reinforcement on me. LOL.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
when i am outside at market in the heat all day it does make me completely spacey..and often that night i get cramps in my legs as well so i boost up on gatoraid and my vitimins and that seems to help..sounds like you and your dog are on the same wave length..Bronki and i were like like that together, one little girl said she did'n't think of me as an individual but as part..Bronki being the other..i kind of thought the same way. What a wonderful way to be.

Doberluv

That's a pretty profound thing for a little girl to think of. How marvelous! Yes, when we have such a close partnership with our dogs, (as opposed to we...being the sole decision maker) when our dogs make choices and show us things or take the lead in what they're good at, and visa versa, I think that is when that all in one thing happens.

Oh yes...the heat can do a number on you, especially when I don't live in that climate all year long. It is cold and snow here all winter long. LOL. So, yes, electrolytes are so important to keep up. Last year I had a severe heat stroke...not fun. Yesterday I was outside and sweating like crazy....kept drinking water, but still so thirsty. So, finally I decided to have some salty tortilla chips and that made me not so thirsty believe it or not. The water was not being retained and that's why a little bit of salt when you're sweating like mad is important. (good excuse to have some chips and salsa, isn't it?) But Gatoraide is great stuff. I love it.

Lyric will do just fine and will ace his test! Just remind him that he knows how to do all of this stuff and tell him to make you proud.

One of the things I've done with the grrrrrls since they were pups is take them to the vet's office for little social visits. He appreciates that no end! He's dealt with two other Filas and mine are the only ones he doesn't feel like he needs to be on high alert with, lol! He can examine them, give them shots, get in close to them and not have to worry about any serious repercussions. Kind of important!

Doberluv

Yes, I've done that too with Lyric since I got him at 8 or 9 weeks of age. I'd visit about once or twice a week and he'd get treats, get weighed, fussed over. I still pop in when I'm in town just for a quick soical call. It does pay off. He doesn't mind anything the vet does to him. He had his anal glands cleared out a few times before I started doing it myself. (thank God he doesn't seem to have that problem anymore) But he only looked a little apprehensive...never ever has he shown one iota of fighing back in a defensive or aggressive manner. He's just a tad suspicious of new people messing with him....people he doesn't know at all. But, I think we can get him used to it in class. Last night, her daughter, whom the dogs hadn't met, came in and petted each dog after exchanging "pleasantries," as they call it in the manual. LOL. He's fine with that. So, next we have to find someone to "examine" him.

Thanks soooooooooo very much for the encouragement. I need that sometimes....a little insecure about certain things. Grrrrrr. It's fight or flight with me. LOL.

bubbatd

I'm proud of both of you for doing this....the badge is pretty cool too !

Members online