Smells....

nedim

Not sure where this post would be appropriate, so I just put it here. Ok, how do you get rid of doggy smells in your house? I vacuum twice a day, but that probably doesnt do anything. Peanut gets groomed approximately once a month and gets a bath once a week.Still, I have the toughest time getting the house to smell fresh. I try air freshners, but that doenst even work. Oh yeah, last night, Peanut peed in my bed...with me still in it. I rolled over and well, yeah you get the picture. I just shampooed the bed with a bunch of soil removers and detergents with this vacuum shampooey machine thing and it smells nice. I'm about to do all the carpets and rugs too. I know this will get rid of the scent, but I can't do this everyday. It takes too long too do and I just dont have time for it. So, my question is, does anyone know a good spray or something made specifically for houses with pets that actually works at defeating the scent, not just masking it? I appreciate any suggestions.

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
Just wondering, is her coat really smelly? She could have a skin infection.. Also, do you let her on all your furniture (couch, bed, up on seats)? You could prevent everything from having a doggy-smell if you keep her off all major furniture items. I'm sorry I don't have anything to reccommed to get rid of the smell. If you want to keep her off anything you could dab/spray citronella oil, because dogs hate the smell of that.

Baking soda is great for carpets. Sprinkle it on and let it stand for about ten minutes, then vacuum it up. Trader Joe's also has these lavender drier thingies, you can sprinkle them on carpeting and then a few minutes later, vacuum it up, it makes the carpet smell really good.

For messes, I use Nature's Miracle and PetZyme. They work really well, make the area smell a lot better.

nedim

Thanks for the tips. I'll pick up some of that nature's miracle. About the oil, will it stain the furniture? The couches are whitish/tannish in color.

"I wonder why Peanut us peeing in your bed . . . . that's odd. Has she done it before?"

No, she hasn't. It really surprised me as well. We went for a walk around 12:00 last night and around 5:45 this morning. I'm puzzled. :confused:

bubbatd

Nedim...Get some of theArm & Hammer Pet Fresh....sprinkle and vacuum....it also will help to keep your vacuum from smelling.

What does the doggy smell smell like? Does it smell like her coat? Does it smell like doggy urine? If she peed in your bed, she might have a urinary tract infection or something? One thing I do for my bed since all my animals sleep in it too, is to put a dog sheet over the top so they don't actually make contact with my bedding. I buy them up at yard sales for like 10 cents apiece.

nedim

It smells like rusty dog...lol. I'll put a sheet over my new sheets tonight, cause I cant stand to see her on the floor. But what if it happens again? I guess I should let her sleep in the kitchen tonight and see how it goes...

bubbatd

Nedim...just buy one of those baby crib pad...flannel on one side...water proof the other..She loves to sleep with you and she's still a baby !

Saje

Island dweller
I use lavender baby powder on my carpets. :D But then again, I'm a bit odd. It's so cheap at wal-mart.

Saje

Island dweller
What is it you ended up feeding Peanut, Nedim? Because a high quality food should help with the doggy smells. Unless she has an infection.

Nanook had an extremely strong doggy smell when we first got her. It was stuck in the carpets. It's gotten better though so it's probably a change in diet, less stress...

nedim

Ok, she was on purina beniful puppy food up until a few days ago. I decided tro change to adult food, so now, shes getting half and half to get used to the new food. I tried looking for innova, but to no avail. I guess its not available around here.

Saje

Island dweller
The food could be your problem then. There are other quality brands you can get other than Innova.

For shedding, have you tried a slicker brush? They're wonderful! They work great for getting all that loose fur off...

bubbatd

I've never had a "doggie odor" unless there's an ear problem or skin problem ( years ago before good flea control ) .....sorry folks, but I've always served Purina products with added suppliments depending on the dog. My vets have always said " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ...I've always had healthy pups and dogs... ( in relation to feeding). Yes, I add raw, veggies, oil, etc depending what's on hand and " gut" feeling to what they may be lacking. An egg once in a while, cottage cheese, and I even give Chip one of my fish oil pills from time to time. Please don't feel less of me for doing what I have done for 40 years. I know there are many here who sware by Barf to XXX brands. Good for you and for passing this info on to others. There are many, many brands out there that are inferior ....personally, from the reports I get monthy as being a member of the Pro Club ..I feel they are doing a good job. I swore I'd never enter this debate. But I don't want new owners to feel they are doing their pups harm by feeling Purina products. O.K....Grammy has now covered herself with metal armour and Chip is standing by to rescue me !!! I can handle it !

nedim

Ok,I did some research and I found a place that sells Innova. I'll talk to my mom about it.(Its pretty expensive, right?) I do have a slicker brush, and I use it after every bath. Peanut doesnt like holding still and she tries to chew it to peices, so that makes brushing a real challenge, but I get it done to an extent.

Saje

Island dweller
It is more expensive but remember that you feed much less of it. Maverick would only get about three cups a day I think. And you know how big he is! He's never been on it but I was wishfully playing on their website and that's what I figured out. So cost wise it's not as expensive as it seems.

There are other quality foods that you can look into. I don't know them all but Eagle Pack seems to be quite easy to find and I think it's sometimes cheaper than Innova. Or you could buy one of the other brands made by Natura - who makes Innova. Still good quality but less meat I believe. Mordy?

nedim

Yeah, I saw something like natura, or natures something(cant remember the name) but I didnt want to buy it, because I didnt know if it was good or not.

Saje

Island dweller
If that's Nutro then no it's not great but if it's Natural Balance? I think it's good. Why don't you find out what you have access to and list them here. I'm sure Mordy can help you find the best one. You should ask your parents how much you can spend on dog food. Don't ask them per bag but per month because it does make a difference as you know. :D

Members online

No members online now.