Men Shoot Dogs.. (Graphic story!)

crazedACD

I found this story really interesting..albeit totally horrible for the dogs, but I didn't realize it is now illegal in places to euthanize your dog for 'no reason'.

I'm not in any way siding with these guys, but if they had taken them to a shelter...how many would have been euthanized for 'no reason'? If they couldn't place them, or feed, house, and care for them... do they deserve 9 felonies because they put them down themselves? :confused:

Clyde, N.Y. - Two Amish men from Wayne County are accused of killing a litter of healthy puppies and their mother. “This is simply a case of animal cruelty,†says Wayne County District Attorney Rick Healy who intends to charge the pair.
The nine dead dogs were discovered in a compost pile and reported to police January 17th.

Merlin Schumacher who owns the dogs says he was trying to breed Australian Red Heelers, but when he couldn’t sell the dogs and they became “too big†he asked an employee to shoot them.

Jonathan Eicher agreed to put the dogs down.

Both Schumacher and Eicher are charged with nine counts of Cruelty to Animals.

“In the Amish it’s acceptable to put dogs down. I thought as long as you did it out back it was okay,†Eicher told police. Eicher referred to what he called “the three S’s: shoot, shovel, and shut up.â€

That is where Amish custom and New York law clash. New York A.G. and Market Laws prevent the killing of otherwise healthy animals for no reason.

“They need to understand that it is illegal,†says DA Healy. “They can’t treat the animals the way they want to treat the animals they must treat the animals humanely.â€

Schumacher, who owns the dogs, told police he had “raised the dogs and couldn’t put them down myself so I asked Jonathan to do it.â€

Both men now face nine counts of unjustifiably killing an animal which is a misdemeanor.

Schumacher was charged Wednesday, Eicher expected to be charged Wednesday evening.
http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/amish-animal-abuse/m94gmmTGrkGLITPlJoQLBA.cspx?autoplay=1

Shakou

I don't know, I guess it depends upon the manner that they were shot and killed in. In a lot of parts in the United States, it's still perfectly normal for people to put down dogs that are old or sick by shooting them in a specific way in the back of the head. If done correctly, the animal dies instantly. If this is what was done, then my feelings aside about the whole issue all together, no, I don't believe he should be charged anything, honestly. If he just hired some guy to go trigger happy and use the dogs as target practice however, then obviously, yeah, they should be facing jail time for that one.

However it happened, it doesn't excuse this jackass for bringing unwanted dogs into the world, only to ultimately kill them.

Xandra

Erm... so when your laying hens get too old are you not allowed to kill and compost them? There wasn't "no reason," the dogs were costly and he couldn't find homes for them. Animals are killed for reasons of economy all the time. If you think that should be illegal I hope you're a vegetarian.

Ridiculous law, hopefully it doesn't catch on. First of all I don't think that the humane killing of domestic animals should ever be regulated (I mean, beyond determining that it was humane, if it comes up). Second of all it sounds like a law that is going to be abused by the squeamish.

joce

Honestly they shot them. They didn't starve them and beat them or dump them. I don't consider it cruelty. Fat chance getting a shelter to take nine freaking dogs here!!!!

They did something before there was no food and starving dogs. What can we ask of people. Maybe someone would have taken the dogs. Maybe we would have complained about him breeding them? But he didn't starve them.

I'd prefer my horses get shot vs euthanized so wth?!

yoko

Are there kill shelters in NY? If so when they get too full do they put animals down? If so aren't they doing the exact same thing these guys did?

Personal feelings about shooting your own/someone else's pet I do live in the country and I do have friends who have put animals down in the past. I couldn't and I couldn't let them do it to one of my pets but it was never something they got sick enjoyment from. They are all animal lovers they just were raised with different ideas of 'humanely euthanizing' than I was. It was never a 'target practice' like thing. It's always a one shot and done thing.

I don't think these guys are sick 'animal killers/abusers'. I think they just grew up in a culture with a different way of thinking when it comes to caring for animals. This guy didn't decide that he didn't want them and just quit caring for them. He did what he considered humane.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I can't even look at this objectively because it pisses me off too much that these dogs were created and then just killed for being "too big." Also I don't see anything about them not being able to feed or care for them (maybe that can be assumed, I don't know, it just says they were too big.)

And I would rather see an animal euthanized by injection vs. being shot....

I don't know. I'm not bothered by them being slapped with misdemeanors.

joce

Look into horses being euthanized vs shot. Its often much less painful to shoot them. They fall down and are done. Euthanizing can involve broken legs and seizures and a long agonizing process that I have seen many people on the horse forum document and say they will never ever do again. I had a neighbor come down bawling a couple years ago and she wanted to stop it five minutes in and couldn't. That's a long time to die when it's not quick and painless.

My vet showed me years ago where to shoot in case there was an emergency. I never discussed it vs euthanizing. I know the newer horse vet I used put down over fifty minis in a hoarding case. Over nothing but convienance. But he said who was going to take and care for fifty fat foundered ponies? And it's the truth.

Now dogs and cats I have never seen an issue with.

Barbara!

Erm... so when your laying hens get too old are you not allowed to kill and compost them? There wasn't "no reason," the dogs were costly and he couldn't find homes for them. Animals are killed for reasons of economy all the time. If you think that should be illegal I hope you're a vegetarian.

Ridiculous law, hopefully it doesn't catch on. First of all I don't think that the humane killing of domestic animals should ever be regulated (I mean, beyond determining that it was humane, if it comes up). Second of all it sounds like a law that is going to be abused by the squeamish.
This. I don't personally see an issue.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Honestly they shot them. They didn't starve them and beat them or dump them. I don't consider it cruelty. Fat chance getting a shelter to take nine freaking dogs here!!!!

They did something before there was no food and starving dogs. What can we ask of people. Maybe someone would have taken the dogs. Maybe we would have complained about him breeding them? But he didn't starve them.

I'd prefer my horses get shot vs euthanized so wth?!
Not me!!! I have seen a horse shot, & it's is not a pretty sight, a couple of the d farm hands did that with an old mare that had a bad leg, she was otherwise ok, ex apt for a fused knee joint but she got around ok & was cognitive & eating & drinking & eating grass ... There was no reason for her to die that way.

I'm sorry, but this is the 21st century, we have euthanasia drugs for a reason, if you can't afford to care for the puppies, & the mom the I hope this mane armed. Ossining that he shouldn't be breeding what he can't afford.

I am disappointed ... I thought the Amish took better care of their animals then this :(

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Not me!!! I have seen a horse shot, & it's is not a pretty sight, a couple of the d farm hands did that with an old mate that had a bad leg, she was otherwise ok, ex apt for a fused knee joint but she got around ok & was cognitive & eating & drinking & eating grass ... There was no reason for her to die that way.
Obviously, they didn't do it correctly.

Lyzelle

I have an issue with this because the dogs were bred, they got too big, oops, didn't bring in any money, so let's just take them all out back and shoot them.

If anyone here got tired of taking care of their dog, and just took it out back and shot it...everyone here would flip. It's the lazy way out, rather than actually going through the work of finding a good home or someone who can do that work for you.

Nah, too bothersome. Just shoot 'em. No biggie, we'll just breed cuter ones next time. People are sure to buy those. That bothers me more than the act itself. Putting down an animal vs. avoiding responsibility for said animal. The whole attitude about it bothers me.

But I don't mind people putting down via gun, as long as it is done correctly.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Josh and I have discussed what we will do when it comes Bamm's time if he doesn't go on his own. Bamm is NOT comfortable at the vet at all and losing him will be such a personal thing and I wouldn't want a vet involved. I would much prefer him be shot once humanely than be euthanized.

I also lived in the country for a long while so maybe I see it differently since a lot of people around me would shoot their old/sick dogs, cats, horses, farm animals etc rather than euthanize at the vet. We had to shoot one of my dogs when I was a kid because my neighbors had poisoned her and there was no vet for miles.

BostonBanker

I am disappointed ... I thought the Amish took better care of their animals then this
Seriously? They are known for being horrific to their horses as well. I'm sure it is a generalization, but I've been told by many that the Amish horses going into the auctions are often in the worst condition of all. Plus the puppy mill thing. From everything I've been told/seen, they see animals as tools and nothing more.

I have a hard time reading the article rationally, because Gusto was born on an Amish farm in that town. The puppies were supposed to be drowned when someone just took them away (and then abandoned them in a trailer...nice rescuing).

Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Not me!!! I have seen a horse shot, & it's is not a pretty sight, a couple of the d farm hands did that with an old mate that had a bad leg, she was otherwise ok, ex apt for a fused knee joint but she got around ok & was cognitive & eating & drinking & eating grass ... There was no reason for her to die that way.
Obviously, they didn't do it correctly.
And if the euthanasia went badly, it obviously wasn't done correctly either. I've held two horses while they were put down; one had already had a stoke and was on the ground, and slipped away so quietly after the drug we weren't sure she was gone. The other was in incredible pain, but after the first drug, was quietly eased to the ground, where she stayed under until she was dead. I will have no qualms holding Tristan while he is euthanized.

While I don't agree that it should be illegal to put down an animal because you can't provide for it, the whole thing reeks. The puppies got too big - but they shot the mother as well? It sounds to me like they wanted to make a quick buck selling puppies, realized it wasn't going to be profitable, and scrapped the plan by killing them. Shame "too stupid to exist" isn't something they can be charged with.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have an issue with this because the dogs were bred, they got too big, oops, didn't bring in any money, so let's just take them all out back and shoot them.

If anyone here got tired of taking care of their dog, and just took it out back and shot it...everyone here would flip. It's the lazy way out, rather than actually going through the work of finding a good home or someone who can do that work for you.

Nah, too bothersome. Just shoot 'em. No biggie, we'll just breed cuter ones next time. People are sure to buy those. That bothers me more than the act itself. Putting down an animal vs. avoiding responsibility for said animal. The whole attitude about it bothers me.

My thought exactly. It's not the shooting part that bothers me, it's the rest...

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Not me!!! I have seen a horse shot, & it's is not a pretty sight, a couple of the d farm hands did that with an old mare that had a bad leg, she was otherwise ok, ex apt for a fused knee joint but she got around ok & was cognitive & eating & drinking & eating grass ... There was no reason for her to die that way.

I'm sorry, but this is the 21st century, we have euthanasia drugs for a reason, if you can't afford to care for the puppies, & the mom the I hope this mane armed. Ossining that he shouldn't be breeding what he can't afford.

I am disappointed ... I thought the Amish took better care of their animals then this :(
Many Amish care for their animals like sh!t. They breed dogs like crazy, are known for their puppy mills, underfeed their horses, work obviously lame horses, and run horses into the ground then sell them for slaughter. And yes, the horses they bring to the sale, both for slaughter and for the draft and driving horse sales are often in awful shape-I've seen it with my own eyes. One of the reasons I bought my OTTSTB gelding was to keep him out of Amish hands.

Got to agree with BB and Lyzelle on this one--the whole thing is disgusting.

ETA: I've also held several horses (including my own) while they were euthed and they went quickly and peacefully (well with Sheena it was relative, as she was not peaceful to begin with). Shooting has it's place if done correctly, but I would have no issue euthing another horse if it come down to it.

Kimbers

Exactly.
I honestly don't have a problem with the "you can't put a healthy animal down yourself without a reason" thing, either, except we all have hugely different ideas of what "no reason" means.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Many Amish care for their animals like sh!t. They breed dogs like crazy, are known for their puppy mills, underfeed their horses, work obviously lame horses, and run horses into the ground then sell them for slaughter. And yes, the horses they bring to the sale, both for slaughter and for the draft and driving horse sales are often in awful shape-I've seen it with my own eyes. One of the reasons I bought my OTTSTB gelding was to keep him out of Amish hands.

Got to agree with BB and Lyzelle on this one--the whole thing is disgusting.

ETA: I've also held several horses (including my own) while they were euthed and they went quickly and peacefully (well with Sheena it was relative, as she was not peaceful to begin with). Shooting has it's place if done correctly, but I would have no issue euthing another horse if it come down to it.
Thats a real shame, I thought they were better horse/animal people then that, I am really sad to learn that :(.

No it think it should be illegal for someone to put down a healthy animal in that manner just because they cant afford to care for it, that is what SPCA's, rescues are for. even the kill shelters would be more humane, as most (at least here) use injection.

I beg to differ, I was with my first horse when he was lethally injected, they use a seditive (dont know which one, i guess it depends on the vet) before they give the lethal in horses because some can have a reaction to the kill drug, but with the seditive first, they just go to sleep. they didnt used to & many horse reacted badly to it, maybe thats what some folks on here experienced.

Our vet, us being out in the country will come out & euth ours at home, if god has not decided before that.

Kilter

I don't think the Amish are good to their animals at all, from what I've read, like others have said, they are a tool, nothing more. One puppy mill article said just that, that 'outsiders' saw dogs as pets, but to them they are a cash crop that pays well, can be raised with little effort in a barn.

I'm guessing the heeler pups didn't sell so well, got too big, ate too much, so why do that again, shoot mom and babies and go get something smaller that will sell better and eat less. Just thinking. Sad but true.

As for the shooting part, if done right, I don't think there's much difference, but I've read about the opposite where some morons used too small of a gun to shoot a horse and had to shoot it in the head over and over again. :(

Members online

No members online now.