How does your dog let you know they need to go potty?

jenv101

Bite Club
Riley will stare into my soul and whine occasionally. If it's really bad he will sit up as well. Aura rarely has to ask she can hold it for a long time. So if she does get up and head to the door I know she must really have to go!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Neither of my dogs give crystal clear signs they need to go out (whining, barking, scratching at the door), but Millie is obvious. She demonstrates really excited behavior (play bowing, panting, running in circles) and when I get up she runs to the door and looks at me pointedly.
Fable doesn't really. She sniffs around the area where the door is, but I need to not be staring at the computer screen to notice. :eek: Mostly I just let them both out at regular intervals.

I've seen a lot of doorbells for dogs to let you know when they have to go out. Opinions?
The ones that start out with a treat inside the bell to lure the dog into pressing it, I see a problem with Fable. I can clearly imagine the "BING! BING! BING! BING! BING!" behavior expecting treats long after they were fazed out. She's persistent that way.
I can't believe I forgot to mention that in the morning when Fable needs out of her crate she screeches and yips in a way that I sometimes wonder why everyone in a 5 mile radius can't hear. I wake up like that every morning. >.<
Oh, and Millie is one of those dogs with an iron bladder. If she has to tell me she has to go outside then by that time it's an absolute emergency.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Harlow will head to the door and stand there. If you don't notice her, she will come look at you, then head to the door again. If it's really bad, she will whine.

Rider will run and spin and do all the frantic things to get your attention. All while screaming a poster cattle boy scream. :rolleyes:

Story doesn't have a strong indicator yet. I just have to makes sure I watch her/let her out on a schedule.

Harlow and Rider sleep in the bedroom, if they have to go out/are going to be sick they are both pretty good about whining til I get up. Story cries AFTER she's went. >.<

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Harleigh typically does what I call a "potty dance". She will run to one of the bedrooms, then run straight to the back door.

If we don't notice her (sometimes I'm oblivious, lol), she will come nudge us.

If any of mine need to go out, they will stare at you until you stand up. Then they will run to the door.

Michiyo-Fir

Nia stares at me in a sit forever and ever. But if she needs to go really badly like if she has diarrhea she'll whine while sitting and occasionally shake too.

Truffles and Popcorn don't do anything.

However, since the dogs are all on schedules to be let out, it's not a huge problem.

Members online

No members online now.