What's your dog's grooming routine like?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Summer and I say you should just roll with the cowlicks.

Ignore her silly hat.

hat2 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

This one on her head used to drive her breeder NUTS. You could not straighten it out. It seems to have gotten better lately.

curl2 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

Hahaha, yes. Summer is hilarious, I do actually love cowlicks. Feist's sire has tons all over him, and she's slowly getting them as her adult fur grows in, it's just starting on the butt and working it's way up. However, I enjoy smoothing them out with a comb. And them watching them defy me minutes later. :p

I should also add that Feist's coat is super easy upkeep, I think she would be fine if I never brushed or bathed her. Her parents looked great and they were certainly not brushed on any regular basis. I just like playing with her purty furs, lol.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I remember taking a younger Summer to a show and we were working the meet the breed booth with some show people. They told me Summer was cute and they could probably finish her, but they'd have to do something with that hair. :rofl1:

When dogs start looking like this, I realize grooming is imminent.

miarun by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Roxie rarely gets brushed. I rub her down with my hands multiple times a day, it's just as good with her. She doesn't really shed anyways.

Nails get done any time I see even the smallest bit of space I can clip away without quicking her. I've been trying to get her quicks back for ages, lol. I've just started dremeling her, so I'm hoping that will help even more.

Ears get done every Sunday.

Teeth get brushed every so often, mostly when she's got a bit of tartar on her teeth... usually she chews on her bone/bully sticks enough that it's not an issue, though.

As for baths, I usually do it on the 14th of every month, since she gets her flea/tick/hwt meds on the 15th. I also wash bedding on that day, too. She's a pretty easy keeper, I just don't want fleas. ever.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno gets nails clipped about once a week, teeth brushed a few times a week, bathed ~monthly (more often in warmer months when she's out more, getting dirtier), ears cleaned as needed. Brushed when her shedding gets bad.

Cajun is on that ^ schedule.

Happy's grooming has been majorly slacked on lately. I used to be really good about attacking her with the slicker and undercoat rake every week. Now it's... every couple months? lol. No baths in the winter because with her it's easier to just hose her down in the yard. Nails trimmed about once a week. I trim her feet when I can't stand the hair anymore which turns out to be monthly, I think. Ear cleaning as needed, no teeth brushing.

Lucy goes to the groomer every 8 weeks. The only thing I do between groomings is trim her nails (again, every week or so) and brush her teeth.

I, uh, ummm, what is grooming? Hudson gets his nails trimmed when I get around to it. He has been bathed. I think it's been a year, but it has happened. His has been brushed to, but it only happens every few months - normally after he gets into burrs.

Torch

Nails, ears, and curry brush about 1-2 times a week. Bathing is usually every 2-3 weeks for Rhys (he has white and gets into everything) and maybe every 4-6 weeks for Henry.

I have gotten really spoiled with the nice, super short Amstaff coat.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Errrrrrm.
Usually people tell me "I bet you brush them every day!!" to which the response is "I can't remember the last time I brushed them." Which is true. I THINK it might have been two weeks ago. I was watching football. But that only narrows it down to any time since September... but I am pretty sure it was two weeks ago. Erm, maybe three. And it was only Pepper, because she's blowing all of her coat since she's going into season ANY DAY NOW which I have been saying for almost two months.

Nails I do about every 2-3 weeks, whenever they need to be done. Pepper's are too long and need to be done more often to try and get them shortened up, and I just got a new battery for my Dremel for Christmas so they will be done more often.
I trim up feet and whiskers whenever I notice they need to be done; I always do feet before an agility trial, and Payton gets a full groom (usually minus a bath) before a trial since people are watching him with additional motives in mind.
Baths are done whenever I start to notice them looking gross and/or smelling bad. Every two or three months-ish? Everybody gets a full groom after a bath.

Payton also routinely gets plopped into the mud sink and has his feet/legs hosed off. His chiropractor told me he runs like a greyhound because of the way he just really digs his feet into the ground when he runs. Mud EVERYWHERE. Stuck between toes, up to his elbows, all over his belly if it's really muddy. So he gets his feet hosed off more than anybody else. Seriously, nobody else needs their feet hosed off. Only P. *facepalm*

So most of it really is on an as-needed basis. I don't really have a set schedule for anything.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Millie's coat in general does not require much brushing throughout the year, but when she blows her coat it's a bit ridiculous. She doesn't look like she has much fur, but it is THICK. She gets awful clumps of her undercoat trying to make its way out which requires a long grooming session every day during those seasons. Fortunately the rest of the time it's low maintenance.

As for baths and nail trims, that happens whenever I stop and think that they need it.
Millie's nails are the bane of my existence, lol. She has long nails and I can't clip much because her quicks are the reason I can't clip them down more than an itsy bit at a time.

Toller_08

Journey: A bath every 5 weeks or so. A foot and ear trim once a month. Nails dremeled weekly. And if she is carrying more coat, I might brush her twice a month. Or before we go somewhere. But she never mats or tangles, so I don't really care. Right now she has no coat so I don't even bother at all.

Dance: Lately a bath every week because she keeps doing things to require that. Normally once a month though. I could trim her ears and feet twice a month, but I only do them once a month. Nails dremeled weekly. A quick brush through a couple times a month - usually if we're going somewhere. Again, she doesn't mat or tangle, so I don't see much point to brushing other than to make her look a bit prettier for 10 minutes (it doesn't last long - she's super scruffy looking ever since her spay except for like a day after a bath/blow dry).

Ripely and Keira: A bath once a month. Nails dremeled weekly. Ears cleaned once a month or so.

And I also scale all of their teeth when I remember. Probably like once every couple of months. Just helps to get any plaque build up off if there is any.

Grab

The Chows are brushed when I see tufts of hair poking out. They're only bathed when stinky. So twice a year-ish for Aesop. Goose has been bathed twice ever.

Brooks gets baths once a month or so, because he tends to get stinky from running in the dirt, etc. I barely have to brush him right now (aside from his ears) as he doesn't have a lot of coat right now.

Nog pretty much never gets brushed. He's bathed when stinky, which is not very often...once or twice a year, I'd say.

Julian and Newt are kept short, so don't really need brushing. They're bathed as needed.

Everyone gets nails done whenever needed.

JacksonsMom

Well, he gets groomed professionally every 8 weeks or so. Gets cut down short.

In the summer, I bathe him every 7-10 days. In the winter, I push it a lot longer.

I honestly don't cut his nails. Groomer does them every 8 weeks. They should be done more but oh well, it's a battle I haven't been willing to defeat yet.

I literally hardly ever brush him. Usually when I give him a bath is when he gets brushed.

Oh and I brush his teeth at least every other night.

Their nails all get done as needed, diesels weekly since his grow super fast.

The littles get bathed once a month at least, more in spring and fall because of mud and dirt. And in the summer they get clipped every 2-4 weeks, depending in weather. Winter they get clipped in the fall and when it's a bit warmer. So far this brutal winter they haven't been done since September. Which means they get brushed a whole lot more. With their current coat length it's almost too every 2/3 days. If we don't get a break and I can't clip them until March-April it's going to be daily.

Gage gets bathed as needed and curry combed every 3-4 days to help with the shedding.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I'm lazy... I work in a grooming salon and she comes to work with me and I still can't be assed bathing her.

I do her nails regularly, at least once a week.
I bath her... when she needs it. Maybe once a month.
I shed her out... when she needs it. Every few months.

I go back to work next week with a stinky, shedding dog that I need to give some attention to. lol I don't know if she'd prefer to be bathed at home though seeing as I don't have a dryer here to torture her with.

Members online