mutt or mixed breed

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I had printed out a few things to share with my mom when she saw my signature...she didn't like that i had called Mr.Shaffer a stray mutt..she said even the vets call them mixed breeds..so this is a formal apology to Mr. Shaffer and all the mutts..i mean mixed breeds out there..i said but mom..I'm a mutt..i like mutts. its the same thing! and she said it sounds so crude. I promised to correct his discription in my signature.

Mutt or mixed breed..which is socially correct?

I suppose mixed breed sounds better. Myself, I have always hated the word mongrel, thats the same as a mixed breed or mutt. Yeah definately mixed breed, does sound much less harsh. But thats just my opinion.

Athe

I call them "Natural breeds" ;)

When you really think about it there are a few Natural breeds around. These would be called Mongrels. A Purebred is a few select Mongrels taken and inbred until they achieve a set standard or motor pattern. A purebred can also be created from several purebred dogs then inbred to set a standard. A mixed breed is a mixture of a few different purebreds and possibly mongrels. A crossbreed is just 2 purebred bred together. A Mutt would be the same thing as a Mongrel.

So, sometimes I will call a purebred a inbred mixed breed. There are still many pure Mongrels in the world especially in underdeveloped countries where they don't really care about creating a breed. It's amazing at how much healthier theses dogs are from man made dogs ;)

Another example of a local Mongrel is the Newfoundland dogs. In Newfoundland any large black dog is considered to be a Newfoundland dog. Most of them are just natural breeds and would never come close to any kennel club standard....ever. This would be considered a Natural breed and the foundation dogs behind our recent purebred dogs.

So, what you could do in the future instead of saying your dog is a Mongrel, Mutt or mixed breed...and you may be surprised to find out that many so called mixed breeds have no purebreds in them at all...call your dog a "Natural breed"...your not far off saying that....man did not pureposely breed the dog and by the sake of mother nature you got your dog ;)

S

stirder

I say mixed breed most of the time. I occasionally catch myself saying mutt, but usually I dont say mutt unless Im talking about a designer dog.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
I say MUTT! But, why does it really matter? Is the dog happy? Does he/she love you? Do you love them?

"Political Correctness".... What a freaking JOKE.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
If you are referring to someone else's dog then its a mixed breed lol

If you are referring to your own loveable heinz 57 then its a mutt :D I think Mutt kinda sounds like the kind of word that you woudln't use to someone else unless you are familiar and comfortable with them and their dog.

Kinda like calling someone by their first name i guess. lol you don't really call someone you just met by their first name unless they ask you to but you would call your children by their first names or by some cute nickname you have.

Mutts just make it sound like such a loveable cuddly pup that is like no other. I think that mutt should be a term of endearment :D

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
sparks19 said:
If you are referring to someone else's dog then its a mixed breed lol

If you are referring to your own loveable heinz 57 then its a mutt :D I think Mutt kinda sounds like the kind of word that you woudln't use to someone else unless you are familiar and comfortable with them and their dog.

Kinda like calling someone by their first name i guess. lol you don't really call someone you just met by their first name unless they ask you to but you would call your children by their first names or by some cute nickname you have.

Mutts just make it sound like such a loveable cuddly pup that is like no other. I think that mutt should be a term of endearment :D
See, this is why women should rule the world. I post all angry like, talking about Political Correctness and such. My beloved wife comes in and sets the record straight. LOL Men... :D

I think the "one of a kind" statement says it all.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I always say CJ is a terrier mix.

I say whatever makes you happy, you should use. As long as they are loved, that's the most important thing as was said previously.

Ash47

Taco Dog
I just say that Precious is a Chow mix. What ever breed I know for sure the dog is mixed with, I say, "Oh, that is a Rott mix." Or ,"That is a Pom mix." But if I can't tell I say mixed breed. I used to say mutt, but at work we say mixed breed. So I have gotten used to saying that. I don't think there is anything wrong with the word personally though.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
oriondw said:
Right:

Mutt == 4+ different breeds

Mixed == 2-3 at most different breeds
Source? lol, a mixed doesn't specify how many breeds are mixed into it, just that it's mixed with different breeds.

And mutt, just another way of saying mixed breed. The question here is which is best to use... but I mean, if you can give me a source or something, lol...

oriondw

user not active
BigDog2191 said:
Source? lol, a mixed doesn't specify how many breeds are mixed into it, just that it's mixed with different breeds.

And mutt, just another way of saying mixed breed. The question here is which is best to use... but I mean, if you can give me a source or something, lol...

No thats just my opinion. Its a mutt if I cant tell the source breeds.

Ill call it mixed if a source breed can be easily identified.

I say mutt when refering to my dogs, and I say mix when refering to another person's "mutt". lol I normally say "He is a mix" or whatever. I don't like the word mongrel though. That sounds degrading to the dog. lol

Ash47

Taco Dog
Yea, I don't like mongrel either. It seems like something a queen/king would call the "peasants." LOL I know that sounds stupid, but that is just what it makes me think of.

Members online

No members online now.