Im a little stupid....

I need some advise, I'm probably going to sound a very ignorant/stupid dog owner at the moment, but I'm only being honest, I dont know much about female dogs.

My female dog shadow is 13 weeks old, and not yet spayed (we asked the vet and he said the earliest they can do it is either at 6 months or her first season, we will be having her done whichever one comes first). She recently had all her vaccinations and can be taken out for walks etc, so we though it would now be ideal for her to meet my partners parents male dog monty (he's an 18 month old beagle). We met them only neutral territory so neither would get aggressive, and they got on great! Shadow was quite submissive at first, running over to him then lying down, and lying on her back. Then they just got really playful, chasing, lots of sniffing, etc. Great I though, a doggie companion for her.

We visited again yesterday, and they were playing fine, shadow seems a bit of a bully I might add, she keeps chasing him all the time, I love to watch them play! Monty gets that "wont she leave me alone" look! But after a while, the thing I was worried about happen, Monty keeps trying to mount her, shadow is pretty quick and seems quite eager to say " hey no way" and either runs away, or sits on her bum, etc.

My question is, is it possible, biologically, for any thing to happen between them? Monty has not been neutered, his owners keep saying they're going to get him done, they just haven't yet. I dont under any circumstances want to breed shadow, as it is at the moment she has a medical condition which the vets have'nt been able to diagnose, so now way could I be irresponsible enough to let her breed. My worry is that they may be playing out the garden, and something could happen? Am I being really dense? I thought they only breed when shadow is in heat? But I wanted to check.

Please any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fran27

She's way too young, don't worry about it. Just don't let her stay with him between 5 months and 6 months though.

Dogs also mount other dogs to show dominance, which was probably the case there.

frznbuns

Hi, This is so normal between dogs. a lot of dogs will mount. Females and males alike. Fran27 is right. this is a sign of dominance. the one mounting is saying "Hey I am Alpha"
As for the spaying of your girl, Shadow, Waiting till the dog is 6 months or first heat is old thinking in vets. There is no reason for a girl to wait till her first heat to be spay. now a days most vets will spay when the dog is over 4 to 5lbs and in good health. also a lot of vets like to wait till they have most of their shots. I am friends with an animal shelter group and when an animal is adopted, it goes to the vet first for shots and exam. also if the animal is over 4lbs it is altered right then even if it is 8 to 12 weeks. So check with your vet again.
Good luck with your new puppy!! I know she will bring years of joy! :)

Members online

No members online now.