Advice on a privacy fence?

yanya

Hello all!

I have recently began considering getting a Shiba Inu within the next year or two. Something that keeps getting mentioned is the need for a privacy fence. I've done the measurements, and panels alone for the whole backyard would cost in the neighborhood of nearly $1500. 0_0!

Tad bit expensive that is...

My mom suggested rather running a privacy fence from our house out to our storage shed, and then around the fence back to the side of the house using the back of a neighbor's privacy fence as one side of ours. (We're sneaky like that!) Anyway, point is that it would bring the price down to the much more attractive $500 range on those panels. My question is though...

...should 25' X 50' be enough for a Shiba Inu to run around in? Mainly the Shiba would be an inside dog and could run around the rest of the yard when supervised. The privacy fence would just be for when it's outside by itself.

Do you really need a wooden privacy fence? What about a tall chain link? Or don't like the looks? I did a long run of privacy fence on one side of my back yard so my hateful neighbor wouldn't scare my dog(s) anymore. That sucker set me back $5000!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

S

stirder

there is no reason not to attach it to your neighbors fence/fences. I was a land and title surveyor (worked for one actually, not licensed myself) and I would say 9 out of every 10 houses we surveyed (in a close built neighborhood. we did a lot of rural work too) used this practice, and not just established neighborhoods were the home owners built their fences. builders were putting in the fences before the house was complete, and they connected all of the fences.
as for size. sounds like she gets a lot of excercise, as long as that is the case and she is not just locked for life in a 50'x20' enclosure (not saying its the case, I didnt skip over that part of your post), it shouldnt be a problem.
also, have you considered a plastic or vinal privacy fence? the material and color may not match the neighbors, but I have a 6 foot cedar priv. fence and my neighbor has a white pvc priv. fence on 3 sides of his back yard. 1 side is my cedar fence.
the main thing I recommend besides excercise which you already said she gets enough of, is that you run chicken wire or hog wire (hog wire is sturdier) along the bottom of the fence to prevent digging out. I would also talk to some shiba owners, I have heard they can be escape artists and climb over a 6 foot fence, but dont know if thats true.

yanya

EliNHunter said:
Do you really need a wooden privacy fence? What about a tall chain link?
This is actually one of the reasons people bring up the privacy fence idea, apparently Shibas are escape artists capable of climbing up chain link!

If and when I do get a Shiba, it will be an inside dog primarily and can run around the rest of the yard when supervised. Just don't want it to climb over the fence if left unattended.

bubbatd

I think anything is better than an " kennel" area. My back yard is small but after having Goldens with 8 acres to run and having them either in the kitchen or porch most of the time ( their choice) I don't feel badly. I've never had climbers or diggers , so I guess it's up to you. I'd go for the safety factor at this point , rather than size. Sounds you have enough to work with.

bogolove

I would think that was fine for a backyard for her to run around in since mostly she will be inside. Plus, if you take her on walks and/or runs too, the exercise from that should help quite a bit. My dog has a lot of energy, and we do have a HUGE fenced in back yard, but honestly, he only uses the back of it to use the bathroom. He does have a playmate that comes over and they do run and run and run when they are together, but mostly I take him for a lot of walks and he really enjoys that plus he gets so much exercise he just hangs out when we get back.

Members online

No members online now.