This dog is losing her mind.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't know what's up. Molly seems to be losing her mind in old age... the past month or so, she has become SO naughty.

She's always been a garbage dog and she's always enjoyed the cat food (understandable). We solved the situation by getting a new garbage can with a lid, and putting the cat's food bowl on the counter whenever we left--the only time she would ever eat the garbage/cat food was when she was left alone. Sweet, problem solved.

Not so... I don't know what her deal is now, but she eats anything and everything, and doesn't care if she's alone or not. I come home multiple nights a week to my garbage bin completely empty, and all its contents thrown across my bedroom floor. She does the same thing with the bathroom garbage. Easy answer would be to just keep those doors closed, but it's so easy to forget to do when it's something you've never done before.

She's gulping mouthfuls of cat food every time she walks by the dish, doesn't care if someone is standing there or not. You turn your back and she's in it, you go to the bathroom and she's in it... we're having to buy a new bag of cat food about every 2 weeks now.

The weird thing is... she's starting to eat the oddest things. We have one of those little toilet seats for toddlers. Came home today and there was bite marks in it... so Molly was trying to eat it? The roll of toilet paper was knocked off the holder and eaten (and of course, the garbage was thrown all over).

I don't understand WHAT is up with her. Not only is it incredibly odd for her... it just seems weird for any dog. Is she just losing her mind?! She's making me lose mine... :eek:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My Mary does this when her pancreas is starting to act up. If she starts drinking copious amounts of water i have to pull everything and run for the vet. INcreased hunger can be a sign so you might want to get it checked. Old dogs can be prone to pancreatitis. I think it causes them to have great hunger and later thirst followed by the "burning stomach". I truly hope i am wrong but if it is catching it early is the key to success and avoiding a great deal of discomfort and expense.

wishbone

How old is Molly now? Inspect her teeth that might in pain and she's relieving the pain though chewing...

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
oh when our old Akita lost it/got dementia, it was more in the realm of constant low whining...walking into a corner and whining because she was "lost"...same thing with dark areas like under tables and such...she'd go there and then forget how to get out. Then just barking at nothing then whining...stuff like that. But I suspect it is different in almost every case.

Members online

No members online now.