How much canned food to feed

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Quick question. Cricket has to be on soft foods for now since her tooth is broken. She is getting her tooth extracted on Wednesday and will have to stay on soft foods for a little bit while she heals.

I bought a bunch of lamb formula canned food. She weighs 32lbs right now as usually eats 1/2 cup 2x day with her kibble. Approximately how much canned food should I feed her to replace her kibble for now? She is at a good weight right now so not looking for her to gain or lose. I was thinking 1/2 can 2x day but wanted to be sure first. Should I give her anything with the canned food?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Check the calorie amount and compare to what she was getting from her kibble to figure out how much to give.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
She made a face at the soaked kibble lol. Not sure why she didn't like it. The canned food I'm using is one I know she is able to have and likes. I sometimes use a spoonful and stuff her medicine in it since she takes chlorpheniramine 3x day for her allergies and itchy skin. I ended up going with half a can per meal. The calories aren't perfect evened out but pretty close.

Devika

Hi,
Sorry, for your dog. I would suggest you to go ahead with your idea as your dog like the canned food. But make sure the diet (amount of calories) also depends on your dog’s age and the activity she does.

MicksMom

I've always used 1 can/per cup of dry as a starting place if I had to use canned food, then adjusted it if needed.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
So, I ditto the calorie count. Much more accurate than the system I employed when Morgan had to be on soft food.

Morgan usually eats 1c. of kibble (TOTW) per meal. When he was eating canned (SD Prescription from the vet, it was free), he got ~1/2 of a 14oz can per meal. He weighs about 48lbs.

For me, canned foods are better because it contains more nutrients than the dry ones. On the other side, it also depends on which of the two your dog likes.

Members online

No members online now.