Does a dog's temprament change drastically?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I guess I just need a little reassurance or advice here. I keep hearing horror stories about how dogs become adults, then suddenly develop behavior problems and completely different temperaments. It happened to Odin, my last dog. He had always been a "problem" puppy, and at about 10 months old, he developed horrible aggression problems. It was from his breeding; he was bred from a backyard breeder who was trying to create "badass" dogs. Despite all our training efforts, he had to be PTS. It broke my heart.

For some reason, I'm so afraid that will happen to Zeus. Zeus is about 14 months old and is a wonderful dog, but I'm finding myself manically watching for any sign of aggression, behavioral problems, etc. Does this drastic temprament change really happen to so many dogs? Or is it a myth?

Last edited:

bubbatd

I'm so sorry about your first dog, but from the looks of Zeus he seems pretty cool and layed back . I'm sure you would have seen any problems by now. Yes, he's still young, but any aggressive issues would have raised it's ugly head by this age. Continue to love and appreciate his positives....he'll appreciate you and want to please you even more. it's the attitude of puppy's that are brushed away as puppyhood ! No puppy should ever growl ( except when playing ) snap, bite etc....owners should be able to remove a bowl of food, food from the mouth etc without any aggression. Sounds like you've got a winner !

RD

Are you dead yet?
I wouldn't say that their temperament changes drastically, but it does change a bit. It's just maturity.

Ripley, for the first year of life, was uncontrollably hyper, but fairly goofy and friendly to people. As he's matured, he's grown more serious (as a result he's grouchier and more prone to being annoyed by little things) but also a bit more laid-back, now if there is nothing to do in the house he will lay down and sleep, instead of running amok, screaming and causing trouble.

I don't think there is a really drastic change, Ripley is still the same ol' Rip, he's just an adult now.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I think because of the history with your first dog, it was bound to happen as he aged, especially if his background is such. Personalities are sort of derived from the parents of the dog for sure. Just like people lol you are either like your mom or dad, or a little bit of both. I know that I'm like my dad lol

They are right though, maturity does happen. So their personalities will morph slighly. It also is how you raise your pup, if its a good pup from day one and you raise him to continue on that way, you should be fine ;)

Doberluv

I think the extreme, drastic changes are very occasionally due to poor breeding....breeding of very poor temperamented dogs. That must be what happened with your other dog. That is so sad and I am sorry you went through that. But I think it's not too common, hopefully. Another thing that can cause a drastic change, from that of a perfectly nice dog to sudden aggression is sometimes a thyroid problem, brain tumor or other medical thing going on. Otherwise, I doubt you have anything to worry about with Zeus. They mature, but as long as they're handled well, socialized very well, have good experiences with others and have some training and respect for their owners as their "leaders," I really don't know of any reason why they should become suddenly aggressive for no reason. Older dogs sometimes get a little grumpier because maybe they hurt from arthrisis or just don't feel that well and don't want to be moved or messed with.

I can see why you're paranoid about Zeus after going through this with your other dog, but statistically and logically, it is unlikely that he will suddenly turn into an aggressive dog. You sound like you're very knowlegeable about training, so there's another factor in your favor right there.

He looks like an awesome dog in your picture....absolutely gorgeous and he does have a really happy expression.

Members online

No members online now.