Looking for right dog, ( includes story, Long)

Haveing owned a dog in the past, I have long been considering gettin another. I was young with my first dog but I feel I did quite well with him. The story of how I came to have him was quite amazing and faitful in itsself. My father was dateing a woman names Coleen. She ahd two Golden retrievers. One of them was impregnated by the neighbors White german shepard. Colleen tried to get my father to give us one of the puppies that had a half black hald pink swirled nose. It looked like a marble so that ws his name, Marble. My father woudl not as he knew how mad it would make His "X" / my mother! Well several months past and My father and Coleen broke it off. I did however stay friends with Coleens Daughter Summer. One day my mother came home from work ( jsut down the street from the house about 300 yards) with a small adolescent blonde dog. It had been in the parkign lot of the office. We kept hima nd put up "Found Dog" signs around the neighborhood and in apartments near the office. We recieved a call abotu 2 days later ( jsut enough time to fall in love with this dog). The who called was not the one who had lost it, but a guy named Bill. He said he had given the dog to an older gent that lived in the nearby apartments. They had decided scince he lost it in a matter of a day or two, not to let him have the dog back, but to keep it themselves. We went down to return the dog and my mother said to Bill that we really loved the dog and woudl like to keep it if at all possible. He said he would have to call Somone. he ws talkign one the phone to somone and he mentioned our names and my moms name and then his tone started to change and he had a strange expression on his face. He asked " Do you know a Coleen? Cause she knows YOU!" He put the phone in my had and sure enough it was her. When Bill had first told her that the people that had found the dog wanted to keep it, she had said no. However finding out it was us she wsa more than happy to give us the dog she had tried to give us several months earlier. It one of those thing that if its not fait, its a most amazing coincidence! I had many good years with marble!

Unfortunatly when I left to go to college my mother refused to take care of him alone. Summer was willing to take him and give him a good home on a large "farm". Many years past and I never talked to Her or saw my dog. I eventually made contact with Summer and took her for a plane ride for fun one day. We flew over the farm and I saw Marble from the air. It had been years. It was strange how he came out and chased after us in the uncatchable airplane. It was like maybee he knew it was me in the plane (at least I like to think that) We could not stop so we went on home. My friend promised to have me out to see Marble on the ground. I looked forward to this. However about 4 days later My phone rang and I heard a girl crying at the other end. It was Summer calling to tell me that Marble had been hit by a car on the small gravel road passing by the farm and had to be put down. It was very sad for me, I would never get to see him again. Somehow the memories of the fun times just arent as satisfying as makeing new ones, but they are all I have and I will cherish and recall them forever.

Anyhow, scince then I have been waiting for a time where owning a dog would be a wise choice. As much as I loved marble, There were things about him I will choose to avoid in my next dog. I am in need of advice and guideance in choosing the right breed. Some of the characteristics I am loookign for are:

Short haired ( must )
Mid size ~ 40-60 lbs
Able to find downed birds for the occasionaly hunt. ( i realise most dogs can)
Friendly
Smart

I would like a dog that enjoys running around, but is jsut as content to relax and sit across your lap.

So far i have had most my interest in an American Foxhound. Though they appear to be a bit larger than I would perfer.

I have a house that is very open inside and a medium sized backyard. I often spend time outdoors and would bring him with me. Also I hunt occasionally and would love to bring him. If a breed is prone to being gunshy, that would not be a wise choice. Im not nessasarily looking for a pUre bread. However Mutts come in all shapes. plan on visiting a few shelters to see if there is any puppy out there that would be right for me.

I greatly appreciate any advice. I want to make a good decision for me and the dog.

Austin

Lovergirl,

Thanks for the advice on the Harrier. Ive been likeing everything ive read abotu them. They are cute as could be too!

Sorry, ive met Weimereiners and they have too much coal in the burner for me, LOL.

Im still open to suggestions and imput from any experienced Harrier owners!

Members online

No members online now.