doggy/baby breakthrough

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I have quite worried about Hannah and Emily since Hannah will get so hyper around my daughter. The past two days I have been taking both Emily and the dogs out to run and play in the yard at the same time and I was expecting Hannah to knock Emily over every chance she could get but she didn't. Infact she was so careful not to run by Emily and she was always watching where Emily was. Today Emily was making her way down the driveway to the street and Hannah was just walking along side Emily and every so often she'd step out in front of Emily as if to say "don't go this way". And when Emily would go around Hannah would just walk right on down the driveway with her. Hannah usually never leaves my side and it was so cute seeing them both walking down the driveway (one of those kodak moments that I ofcourse didn't have my camera for). I know now that they are starting to become good friends and hopefully Emily will become more comfortable with Hannah. Although Hannah hasn't calmed down with us adults I think she knows that Emily is small and she has to be careful with her. I just had to share my good news, the dog and baby are finally starting to be able to live together peacefully.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Sounds like Hannah will be a great dog for Emily to grow up with. I had a collie mix named Holly that was very protective like that of us. I'd even take naps on her and she wouldn't budge until I woke up.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I hope so. Emily is still sort of hesitant of Hannah but she's getting better. She actually touched Hannah today and she will feed her biscuits and frosted mini wheats (without me knowing).

gapeach

Big Mutts
I have the opposite problem, I can't keep Maggie off from Carey! It's a good thing Carey is pretty tolerant. I have to get on to Maggie all the time for playing to rough with her.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Oh and Maggie loves to feed Carey stuff too. She'll drop something on the floor out of her highchair and say "Carey will get it"

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
gapeach said:
I have the opposite problem, I can't keep Maggie off from Carey! It's a good thing Carey is pretty tolerant. I have to get on to Maggie all the time for playing to rough with her.
LoL! Same thing with Zeus and my year-old niece. To date, I've caught Sierra playfully whacking Zeus with various objects, biting on his tail, sitting on him, scolding him, chasing him around the house in an attempt to "wash" him with baby wipes, and trying her hardest to shove him out of the way when she's out looking for trouble. Luckily, Zeus seems to adore her clumsy attentions and loves to be in her company.

*Note: We don't ever leave Sierra unattended with Zeus, but toddlers seem to accomplish so much in the split second it takes to blink. :rolleyes:

Juliefurry, it does sound like a beautiful friendship in the making! I hope all goes well, and I also hope they don't get the bright idea to coordinate their mischief-making. :eek:

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
gapeach said:
Oh and Maggie loves to feed Carey stuff too. She'll drop something on the floor out of her highchair and say "Carey will get it"
She won't drop it off her heightchair she'll just walk right up and put it in her kennel or hold it up so Hannah can grab it over the baby gate. My husband's favorite thing was the one day Emily grabbed a box of almost empty captain crunch out of the garbage and started feeding the dogs a piece at a time. She'd go from kennel to kennel and hand them a piece of food.

Gempress, I hope they don't get that idea either. Although I'm sure in time they will figure out how much fun it is to cause trouble together instead of apart.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Sierra and Maggie sound alot alike! Maggie also likes to chase Carey with her babydoll stroller, she hardly gets to play with it anymore because that's all she wants to do! They can be so sweet one minute and so devilish the next. We also don't leave the two alone, but that's not hard since they both follow me to every room including the bathroom. lol

We often don't credit our dogs with as much sense as they really have. Most of them seem to know and to be very gentle with little ones. Bimmer was a BIG romper when he was a pup. I'd let him off leash at the track where it was completely fenced when we were there by ourselves so he got to run. One day a man in a wheelchair and his little four year old niece came in the back gate and I didn't see them until they were close by. Of course, Bimmer had to run to see them. He stopped about ten feet away from then and slowed down and walked up to the man and put his head on his knee so sweetly, then he went over to the little girl and layed down in front of her. Good dogs just know . . . Hannah will be fine with with Emily and will keep her from harm :)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Renee750il said:
We often don't credit our dogs with as much sense as they really have.
Hannah will be fine with with Emily and will keep her from harm :)
I gave her the credit it just seemed that most the time she was so preoccupied with being a pup she forgot to be careful. I know she'll be fine with her now, I'm not really worried. She's already keeping her away from stuff that could be bad for her. We had Emily out in the pool today with her big brothers and the boys were being boys and so I was trying to stay by Emily so she wouldn't get knocked down or anything and Hannah was just glued to wherever Emily was in the pool barking if the boys got too crazy by her.

Members online

No members online now.