chewing and licking paws

jeanie

My four year old miniature poodle chews and licks his paws. We have taking him to the vet however all tests came back fine. We socialize him
and buy bones to see if that would redirect him from the licking. I am lost any suggestions?

Barb04

Super Moderator
It can sometimes be allergies or even arthritis.

Some of mine do it now out of habit and just can't stop doing it.

You say you know it’s not allergies. But, there’s so many things that can cause an allergenic reaction. I would not rule out allergies altogether. For a quick stop you might try putting something that taste bad to the dog on his paws.

mathewG

How long has your dog chewed and licked his paws? Are there any other strange symptom? If the vet could not find it is allergy, we should try to think of other diseases.

justin001

Yes the Idea of putting somethin tastes bad on the foot may work. Also I would like to say that he might be chewing his paw because he might we getting irritation from the paw skin. take your pet for dog grooming and clean his paws, dead skin might be the one of the reason

Probably not as much allergies as an overgrowth of yeast in his body. Put him on a low carbohydrate dog food and give him some probiotics to help push the yeast from his body. He may have a round of get worst before it gets better.

I have a dog who gets yeasty, I put him on low carb food, probiotics max from Natures Farmacy and half a zinc pill once a day. Clears right up. You can also put a teaspoon of natural apple cider vinegar in his food.

Members online