Not All Roses And Sunshine

Payge

So we are slowly becoming introduced to the girls' "quirks" I say quirks since its not THEIR fault they weren't trained properly. They have selective dog aggression. Little yippy dogs apparently set them off(they haven't attacked any, they just bark and growl and try to get close to them, I hold onto the leash to keep them from going any farther with it) and tonight we were driving and came to a red light and there was a car beside us with a dog in it, malamute looked like. Well let me tell you, they went ballistic. Absolutely crazy, the entire car was rocking side to side and this poor malamute is looking at them like "Hey, chill out geez" and the guy in the car is looking at me with one of those smug smirks that says "My dog is better trained than your dogs"

Also they like cardboard boxes, like the kind random things come in, I bought some shoes...the box they came in was torn to bits, they left the shoes alone though. I bought some rolls of velcro, the cardboard sleeves they came in were torn to bits, velcro was left untouched. Soda can box, same deal. Stuffed toys are dead before you can say "velveteen rabbit".

They follow me...everywhere. No matter where I go there they are right behind me and if I turn around to go back from where I came I swear I hear high pitched *Beep Beeps* like when heavy equipment backs up while they turn around and get out of my way. (To be honest I kinda like this though, its funny, cause my cats do it too, so now i'm the crazy lady with three cats and two giant dogs following her around the house)

They only listen sometimes, mostly if I repeat the command a lot, i'm trying the Nothing In Life Is Free method, where I make them sit and stay before doing anything fun, like give them food, or take them for walks, or let them go outside/inside. So far it hasn't helped, but I assume I just need to give it time.

And after all that, I love them to bits. Absolutey head over heels in love. *sighs happily*

RoxyBoxer

Dont feel so bad lol Roxy can open the front door. she jumps up and hits the door knob just right and it turns somehow, or maybe our door doesnt shut right, we are checking into it lol. Last night we ordered delivery. The poor guy almost left a puddle on the porch. She jumped up, opened the door, got ticked cause she thought he opened the door and jumped in his face!!! I caught her at the last minute but the poor guy looked terrified!!!! I hate people who give you that smug look usually when walking dogs that weigh no more then 10 pounds. do they not realize its harder to keep a 50 pound bouncing dog under control and no matter how much training im sure every dog has its up and down days! im assuming kaya is one of them ;) which type of dog is she? (i hope shes a she for my sake of not feeling stupid lol)

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
What does the guy that you got them from say about how he trained them? Maybe they are just testing their new boundaries and limitations.

Fran27

I agree, they are probably adjusting and need to know you better before they respond to your commands. Keep doing NILIF, I'm sure it will solve the problem soon.

Payge

He hasn't answered my message yet. When I first spoke to him he said that they were extremely well behaved though Kaya has her moments. He said he took them to the dog park all the time, to pet stores etc, and they LOVED other dogs, and were very gentle with all other types of animals. Also that they loved kids.

RoxyBoxer, They are both Great Danes, I just adopted them Saturday.

filarotten

Fila the love
Sorry but I had to read the part about being in the car and it rocking to my son. We both had to laugh. My great danes never did that, just usually one big woof. Give them some time, I think they are also testing their boundries. They are probably confused and feeling very insecure. They are in a strange place and have different people around them.

Members online

No members online now.