Which breed?

Ajay

Ok I don't know if anyone remembers a while back I was saying about me wanting a dog etc, well there's actually some hope now and need some help and ideas on which dog breed I should get.

First of all I would a need dog that doesn't shed it's fur.

A dog that's not too engertic, I would be prepared to walk it once a day, I would like to walk it more but I wouldn't have the time apart from at weekends.

I would need a dog that would have tolerence with a cat

Also though the dog would be left alone for about 3 hours and 45 minutes during the day. From 11:15 till 3:00, I mean would this be to long a time?

I know the responcibilty of a dog and everything, I have wanted one my whole life.

Fran27

The only dogs I know that don't shed are poodles... But I don't know enough about them to tell you much more :(

Ajay

Well, not to heavily shed fur. We have a persian cat so the sofas and everything need to be hoovered eveyday, so a dog that doesn't create that much fur.

W

Whitedobelover

there isnt a dog that doesn shed LOL.. what size of dog are you wanting small large ect... dauschounds are great... dobermans are great labs... all dog shed some... so you are SOL if you dont want sheeders

Fran27

/shrug if you need to vaccuum everyday because of the cat, is it really a big deal if the dog sheds too?

Ajay said:
Ok I don't know if anyone remembers a while back I was saying about me wanting a dog etc, well there's actually some hope now and need some help and ideas on which dog breed I should get.

First of all I would a need dog that doesn't shed it's fur.

A dog that's not too engertic, I would be prepared to walk it once a day, I would like to walk it more but I wouldn't have the time apart from at weekends.

I would need a dog that would have tolerence with a cat

Also though the dog would be left alone for about 3 hours and 45 minutes during the day. From 11:15 till 3:00, I mean would this be to long a time?

I know the responcibilty of a dog and everything, I have wanted one my whole life.
All dogs shed, but some breeds hair doesn't fall off, it has to be brushed off.

Every dog needs at least ten minutes a day of exercise.

If you train a dog to be calm around a cat, there's a good chance it will be, but I wouldn't trust a hunting breed such as a terrier around a cat.

If you brush a dog daily, he'll have less hair to shed. I don't brush my dogs daily and there is at least a little fur on the floor. I vacuum it up once to twice a week and it works fine, if the rug seems too furry I just vacuum it up and then brush the dogs :)

Labs shed a lot. My lab sheds all year long basically, and very heavily in the summer. It's a nightmare ;)

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I know! A bichon! They're fairly small, not too active, and are and non-shedding.

W

Whitedobelover

well if the cats sheds and the dog sheds and you are already vaccuming then go ahead just get a dog with shorter hair... it will be much easier. I think if you get a short haired dog...

Julie

I am back again.
gaddylovesdogs said:
If you brush a dog daily, he'll have less hair to shed. I don't brush my dogs daily and there is at least a little fur on the floor. I vacuum it up once to twice a week and it works fine, if the rug seems too furry I just vacuum it up and then brush the dogs :)

Labs shed a lot. My lab sheds all year long basically, and very heavily in the summer. It's a nightmare ;)
You got that right. If I saved the hair vaccumed from my carpets, I would have enough hair to weave a blanket (in a months time). LOL

Khristine

If you want a small dog, I think Yorkies are great.

They get along well with cats, don't shed at all (well Mine doesn't).

She can be left alone and play with her siblings, she's not too energetic (like over energetic) but she sure can play and be energetic when you want her to be, she's a great friend :)

and of course cause i like yorkies :p

We always joke we could take May's (my lab) fur that she sheds and stuff pillows with it there's so much!! I think we should make her a bed out of it :D

W

Whitedobelover

all dogs shed to a point... just like humans shed to a point but pug... dauschound... schnauzer.. well im a sucker for the maltese just cause they are adorable..

shhhhhhhhhh! dont tell but im getting my husband a maltese for christmas that is what he wanted... so he is getting one :D

panzer426

most dogs will get along well with cats especially if raised with them from a puppy. I would recommend a retired racing greyhound as well, except that some (maybe most?) have never been around cats before AND have been trained to chase a pretend small fuzzy creature. I have heard of quite a few that have gone to homes with cats and adjusted very well. they are not nearly as energetic as you would think, they do need excersice but not extreme, from what I understand 1 or more long daily walks or (even better) jogs is enough but dont quote me there as I dont have one.
every dog sheds and if you have to vaccuum daily it shouldnt be a big deal. a lot of wirehaired dogs dont shed, or rather their hair doesnt all fall off. you have to brush it off as others have said. in my experience (just to warn you) most smooth/short coated dogs (wether they shed less or not) have hair that seems to me is harder to get off of fabric such as couches and shirts.
tell us more about what you want as far as size (under 100 pounds? under 25 pounds? under 5 pounds? etc) what you consider a high/low energy dog (how much time will you be able to spend playing with and excersicing the dog, and in what ways?) how easy do you want training (obedience, house training etc) to be?
and depending on the breed, smaller doesnt always mean less energetic. Ive had jack russels and they were way more energetic than most dogs Ive ever seen.

Members online