new member has traumatized doggie

F

Fluffiepom

Hi all, I was surfing for infor on how to help my dog Millie. She was attacked yesterday in her own front yard by a neighbor dog. No Blood but some swelling and scratches. I wasn't home unfortunatly but the kids filled me in. Millie is a dalmation, very small for her breed and a happy and well adjusted animal. She was playing in our front yard with 5 children and 2 dogs that live 6 houses away were outside without their owners. These dogs ran down the street and one began to play with Millie, the other attacked her. She ran for our house (smart dog) and the kids all ran inside with her. The fight lasted about 30 seconds from what I can tell but Millie is traumatized. I got home about an hour after is happened and examined her but no blood just some mild swelling. I wrapped her up in a quilt and sat on the couch with her all evening until she slept. This morning she refused to go outside in the backyard and was trembling. I finally coaxed her out when our other dog, a dachshaund went outside but she went right back in and won't leave her bed. I have had to work today but the kids say she is definitely not herself and still won't go out without a bodyguard. How can we help our doggie get over this trauma? any advice appreciated. Thanks Fluff

It's going to take some time for her to go out side, just do what your doing with her, just coax her a little at a time. Remember, it's only been a day and somtimes it can take months for a dog to get over somthing like that. Good Luck!

Poor girl! You're doing the right thing. Sheltiepups is absolutely right; it's going to take her awhile before she feels safe going outside again. It might give her more of a feeling of security if you take her out on a leash for awhile. She'll feel "connected" to you and safety.

This is one of the reason's I'm not really a fan of those invisible fences. Sure, they do a decent job of keeping your dog in it's own yard, but they don't do anything to keep other dogs out of the yard. I'm a big fan of sturdy fences.

Keep us posted on how she does. Dalmations are usually such joyful, happy and carefree dogs; I hate to think that's been taken away from her! What's her name, by the way?

F

Fluffiepom

Her name is Millie, she is doing much better and going outside again on her own in our nice fenced back yard. She still doesn't want to go in the front yard though. Poor baby I thought she would be traumatized forever. I spoke to the owners of the other dogs and they agreed to keep their dogs on a leash or in the fenced part of the yard. We have been taking her on walks in the opposite direction from where they live too. The kids said our Dachshaund Bitsy chased the big dog off she was so fierce. Im just glad noone really got bitten. Thanks for your support. I love this site and will keep enjoying it for a long time. My daughter is looking for a picture of Millie to put on. Thanks again Fluff

People don't give Dachsunds enough credit for being game. They forget that the little critters were bred to go underground after things like badgers. Any dog that's willing to tackle a badger underground . . .

tailwalker

Too Bad my Dal was not there to help...
He's the biggist Dal either my vet or I've ever seen...
He could have protetced you little Dal...
Budman is a brut...
but very sweet Dal...
Hope your baby feels more secure soon...

Lots of luck with your Darling Dal...

Tailwalker

Renee750il said:
People don't give Dachsunds enough credit for being game. They forget that the little critters were bred to go underground after things like badgers. Any dog that's willing to tackle a badger underground . . .
I just can't get past how silly they look, but I love their spirit! I love my friend's dachsunds! They are smart little buggers too. I had a friend in California that taught one to retrieve ducks! :eek:

Her name is Millie, she is doing much better and going outside again on her own in our nice fenced back yard. She still doesn't want to go in the front yard though. Poor baby I thought she would be traumatized forever. I spoke to the owners of the other dogs and they agreed to keep their dogs on a leash or in the fenced part of the yard. We have been taking her on walks in the opposite direction from where they live too. The kids said our Dachshaund Bitsy chased the big dog off she was so fierce. Im just glad noone really got bitten. Thanks for your support. I love this site and will keep enjoying it for a long time. My daughter is looking for a picture of Millie to put on. Thanks again Fluff
may be it is a good thing that she will not leave the yard if the other two come to your yard I would call the spca . If the dog would attack millie it may attack a child .Mille needs to get her confidence back positive experiances will get her back on track

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
LOL! I didn't realize how old this thread was until I read Zoom's "Holy Hell!" post. Now I'm cracking up!

And I agree, I really hope that Millie is doing better by now. ;)

Members online

No members online now.