Yukon's life story from start until now very long sorry

Y

yuckaduck

Zoom said:
Sounds like a personal problem to me.

I think she is just mad because she is a pet sitter and the ones who are not trustworthy and reliable are giving her a bad name too. It might be unjust how could I know I do not even know her. It is not for me to build up her business or help shine a brighter light on her. Sorry but this thread is the whole truth and it took alot to trust the people here to post the whole truth. It was not done to make kennels or pet sitters look bad it was done so when I ask people for advice on Yukon's aggression they can look at this and know his history and give advice based on it.

No longer posted in response to Zoom:

Would you rather me lie and say he is aggressive for no reason at all? Sorry if in the first post I did not tell the exact whole entire story it was the truth just not every last detail. I really did not know that the fact that we were away over night would really make a difference then. Sorry I did not realize that it was so important. Would you like to know when I fart too?

Y

yuckaduck

I was so nervous

I took Yukon with me to go get my mail today. I left him in the car window down about half way but he never leaves the floor. Well today an older gentlemen who looked very frail was walking by the car with his cane and Yukon jumped out the window. Still do not know how he fit but that is another story. I was so nervous, I thought oh no he is going to knock this man down and bite him. Nope he sat right in front of him and that bum was wiggling everywhere but never left the ground. The old guy reached down and pet him, no biting. Made me cry with pride to think after everything that has happened Yukon still had a heart of gold to offer this poor man some enjoyment. The old guy told me he just lost his old dog and because of his own failing health could never have another and he thanked me for allowing him to pet Yukon. If it had been my choice he would never have touched the dog but since it was out of my control, and it worked out for the best, I am glad.

Also just a note Yukon has not mouthed or bit anyone today but that was his only in town trip and no visitors today. He has been on a leash with us all day and he even allowed the girls to hand feed him and was nice about it. I know the problem is not fixed, espically that fast but he had a good day today.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Solutions happen one good day at a time. :)

I know there are not-so-good kennels and pet sitting services out there. You've had the back luck to find those people. But there are also good ones. I work for an excellent pet resort (read: fancy kennel) and talk regularly with a lady who works in Critter Sitters. I do my utmost to take excellent care of each and every dog that comes in. We have so many people who have come in recently saying that they wanted to take a tour because they've heard that we are the best around and they are about to board their 10 year old dysplastic dog for the very first time and need to make sure the dog is going to be as comfortable and well-taken care of as possible.

The Critter Sitter lady did the same with her clients and then when she left to go back to teaching, she found out that some lackadasical teen who cared more about her boyfriend than her job had taken over her client list and neglected to take care of the dogs the way the owners were expecting. My acquaintance took on part of her old clients by herself as a part time thing just for the peace of mind it would bring the owners.

I think the moral of all that is: There are good people in this business, who are in it for the love of pets and understand what the owners want and need and then there are those who are in it because they think they get to play with cute puppies all day or it's easy money.

Y

yuckaduck

Easy now this is one good day, but he is not over it yet. He is still extremely submissive and you can tell in his actions that he is just not feeling safe and secure unless he is glued to me. One good day does not mean that all is over and he will be good everyday. Still a long ways to go, but it is a good sign and it is nice to post a positive for once about Yucky. He needs to do alot more desensitizing work because he is still bad with thin, tall men. But with time and patience I think he will come around.

Y

yuckaduck

Zoom said:
Solutions happen one good day at a time. :)

I know there are not-so-good kennels and pet sitting services out there. You've had the back luck to find those people. But there are also good ones. I work for an excellent pet resort (read: fancy kennel) and talk regularly with a lady who works in Critter Sitters. I do my utmost to take excellent care of each and every dog that comes in. We have so many people who have come in recently saying that they wanted to take a tour because they've heard that we are the best around and they are about to board their 10 year old dysplastic dog for the very first time and need to make sure the dog is going to be as comfortable and well-taken care of as possible.

The Critter Sitter lady did the same with her clients and then when she left to go back to teaching, she found out that some lackadasical teen who cared more about her boyfriend than her job had taken over her client list and neglected to take care of the dogs the way the owners were expecting. My acquaintance took on part of her old clients by herself as a part time thing just for the peace of mind it would bring the owners.

I think the moral of all that is: There are good people in this business, who are in it for the love of pets and understand what the owners want and need and then there are those who are in it because they think they get to play with cute puppies all day or it's easy money.

There are good ones for sure. My old neighbours when I lived at the apartment use to have a pet sitter come in and she was a young woman just starting out but she was excellent. I use to see her out playing with there doggy and she was always nice and kind, you could just tell she loved dogs. Too bad because if I had hired her instead then I would be much more positive to pet sitters but I did not. I do know that she has gotten several excellent references from people around this area and she is very trustworthy in the home and everything. I believe she even cleaned the apartment for them, so that is really nice.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Well, it's just too bad you don't live closer, because you could have dropped him off at my work and gone on your trip sans worry.

Y

yuckaduck

Oh well we are thinking about going camping next summer with the girls and Yukon is allowed to come so that will be fun for all. Might be crowded in the tent though.

yuckaduck said:
Oh well we are thinking about going camping next summer with the girls and Yukon is allowed to come so that will be fun for all. Might be crowded in the tent though.
Camping is much more fun with dogs! It's just wonderful to see them nosing about in all the new smells, being doggy and and adventurous. You'll also see a closer bond with Yukon; he'll feel like he is the family protector out in the wild, lol!

NOW . . . for the unpleasantness . . .

Whitewitchone: You owe Yuck AND the board an apology for your deplorable manners. I HAVE heard the entire story before and this thread is entirely accurate with what I heard well before anything at all was posted. I understand why Yuck left out some of the longer details; much like Yukon, she's been beaten before and was wary of opening herself up to more beatings - like yours. Now why would I or anyone else entrust their dogs to someone so insensitive? (That's a rhetorical question. That apology is warranted long before any further replies to this thread.)

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
That is fantastic that Yukon is finally getting the desensitizing he so sorely needs! And the girsl feeding him out of their hands, perfect perfect. Congratualtions. That's lovely that he sat for that old man to pat him. I always get nervous when old people want to pat my kelpie, I'm scared she'll jump up into their faces (though she's long since stopped doing this).
Please don't get physical with him anymore, you'll only be counteracting the conditioning (I think I read somewhere you were taking advice on lifting him off his feet and yelling no in his face?) and reminding him of the beatings. My kelpie sounds alot like Yukon, when I first got her from the shelter. She was beaten with a cord/whip and had scars all over her back and belly.

Sheba

I W A L R
Poor Yukon!Bring him over him and he can swim in our pool for free, with massaging lessons for you and you will practice on Wendy until you get the hang of it and try it on Yukon!Or I can just tell you right here.LOL

Y

yuckaduck

Thank you Renee, I agree!

Thank you for all the nice comments and sympathies things will get better.

Bridey I am continuing to work in a non aggressive manner with Yukon. If he gets totally out of control, or even a bit....he goes to his isolation room with his toys for a time out. If he gets mouthy to his isolation room for a time out. If he is nervous or aggressive with company to his isolation room for a time out. This is how we are working with him. We are advancing his home training today to off leash work in a fenced in yard because I have been doing the 50 feet on lunge line lessons and he is perfect with them. So time to try off leash! It is an attempt to continue his training and keep his mind busy. He is walking with us now but not hugh walks because he does start limping but the better he gets the more he gets. The kids think it is great to hand feed the doggy and he sits and downs for them when they do the hand signals; he use to just try and steal it from them; now he earns it.

I know one good day does not mean that he is cured because that takes alot of work and a lot of time but it is nice to see improvement even if only for a day. So far today he is a nut ball so he is in his room.

Poor Yukon has gone through so much. :( It sounds like he's doing much better though!! He probably thinks your daughters are the best things now - they give him all that yummy food.

filarotten

Fila the love
I am so glad Yukon had a good day with the girls. I am sure it made the girls very happy to feed him by hand. Keep up the good work, you are doing something right.
Hate to hear Yukon has had so many bad experiences. Poor baby, no wonder he has been so grumpy

avenlee

Sorry yuck, i'm just reading this thread. I've been on and off the past week and haven't kept up with all the 'happenings'. I'm glad Yukon is doing better. I hope he continues on this path. :) As far as you feeling guilty for his misgivings, please don't. I don't blame you for not wanting to open up entirely to this forum. Why should you? I mean, there are lots of stuff in my life that I don't 'share with you all. Its good that your working with Yukon so well. Just remember; yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a GIFT :) Make it a good one!

Y

yuckaduck

avenlee said:
Sorry yuck, i'm just reading this thread. I've been on and off the past week and haven't kept up with all the 'happenings'. I'm glad Yukon is doing better. I hope he continues on this path. :) As far as you feeling guilty for his misgivings, please don't. I don't blame you for not wanting to open up entirely to this forum. Why should you? I mean, there are lots of stuff in my life that I don't 'share with you all. Its good that your working with Yukon so well. Just remember; yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a GIFT :) Make it a good one!

That is so very true and thank you.

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
That sounds like a great method, and one I think we suggested to you at some stage?
Social isolation as a non-physical punishment? Food as a means of keeping it friendly and positive?
That is wonderful that he is behaving for the girls, you must feel so proud. Remember though, it usually gets worse before it gets better:(

January

NOW . . . for the unpleasantness . . .

Whitewitchone: You owe Yuck AND the board an apology for your deplorable manners. I HAVE heard the entire story before and this thread is entirely accurate with what I heard well before anything at all was posted. I understand why Yuck left out some of the longer details; much like Yukon, she's been beaten before and was wary of opening herself up to more beatings - like yours. Now why would I or anyone else entrust their dogs to someone so insensitive? (That's a rhetorical question. That apology is warranted long before any further replies to this thread.)

Have not seen that happen yet. Maybe it is acceptable for some to attack but just so everyone knows if you do not like me then ignore me. Makes me happy either way because I do not beat around the bush on anything. I say it like I see it and that is my way and always has been my way.

Yukon is having fun playing with Tommy right now I must get Heather to post a picture of him, he is my baby.

Members online

No members online now.