Questions and AKC

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Gosh everyone sorry I keep posting and posting threads but I must LOL
Ok I'm suppose to be joining the AKC and I just wanted everyone to know that.

Also I have some questions:
How can you tell what personalilty (sp?) your puppy will have when he gets older? Any suggestions....

Can I start doing alittle training for agility like at 1 year old? Or do I have to wait till their bones and all stop growing..which is what age again?

Ok thats all for now and sorry for so many posts.

Y

yuckaduck

If you do not post and ask you cannot learn. Sorry I wish I could help but I have no idea. Congradts again with the pupper

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
For the personality question, it all depends on how his puppyhood was like. Bad puppyhood- bad dog, Good Puppyhood- Good dog! Lol, but it depends on what kind of bad. For example, many dogs at shelters had bad puppyhoods, but they are still calm and loving.

For the agility question, you can start now. Make sure the jumps are 4 inches high at the most. The teeter should be a plank on a pencil, and the A-frame is basically a long piece of wood that is a little itty bit shaped like a mountain. Good Luck!

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Thanks BLG. Wow I can start training him now??? Dang ok thanks

For Yucka...Dallas is laid back and sleeps alot ...but I was told it was b/c he is still a llittle puppy..and he likes to play around alot. But I don't know yet, maybe he is to young to tell.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Yes you can start now, but very very light and easy stuff. But before you start, make sure he knows the basic commands (sit, down, stay, come, heel):)

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
ok thank BLG. You know lots for a 12, 13, or 14 year old girl! Thanks
The one thing I like about having a puppy is the training, yea I might be weird for saying that but its so fun to see your puppy stay while you walk 20+ ft away!

Fran27

I wouldn't do agility before the pup is fully grown personally (2 years I guess). You don't want him to make too much effort when he's still growig up, and there are other ways of letting them excercise.

For the personality, it depends a lot on the pedigree too, and of the character or the parents, grandparents etc. But you can have an idea when the pup is young too.

For the AKC, I didn't bother sending the papers with Boris as I'm not planning to show him anyway. I just figured I would save the $20 lol.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Ok Fran...I'll most likely hold on the agility thing for awhile cause I don't wanna hurt Dallas's bones or anything.
Oh I don't plan on showing Dallas, well I don't think...*wonders*
The personality of the parents from what I saw was kinda laid back but whiling to play. Molly (the momma) was playful and sorta laid back, Scout( the dad) was more laid back.

Richie12345

AKC.com, go there, I'm sure you'll get info

btw, good luck with the agility, I've been thinking about taking my Coop hunting... I'd have to think about it some more

Once your pup walks pretty good on a leash you can start some very low-keyed agility training. The one part that you need to really limit as it can cause problems with young dogs is the jumping - and that goes for other types of repetitive jumping such as catching a ball, or a frisbee. Keep the jumps very low and only do them a couple of times during a session.

You sound like you would really enjoy taking your pup to classes! Having a good obedience foundation is really necessary to be able to do agility off-lead which really works out good. While your pup is too young for serious agility you can work on the obedience training while you introduce him to some of the agility components. :)

bubbatd

I'd forget agility for quite a while. When my litters were 5 weeks old I'd set up a play area for them... boxes to climb on, low step stool , tubes to go in ( get them from a carpet store), plastic milk/water jugs with a rope ties to handle, box with in and out door, etc etc. The more fun you introduce Dallas to, the more he'll accept new things later. Remember, no jumping for sticks, frisbys etc.....let those bones strenthen . I still wish you'd get " THE" book !!!! The 6th to 12th week is so important !! I wish you had let me send you one! Slso, Goldens LOVE stuffed animals....teaches them not to chew up things and they love to carry them around. As to personality...that too you would have learned from the book.

My Gunner has several stuffed "babies" that he loves to chew on and drag around. The bigger, the better. Has your puppy been to any obedience classes? They will usually introduce some agility type activities if the puppy is 4 months old. How old is your pup?

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
Dogs must have basic obedience before they can go to agility classes. Our club holds obedience classes for all new comers whose dogs are not obedience trained. I would start by teaching him right now simple commands like sit and teaching him his name. By joining AKC you mean registering your pup I presume.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I taught my rottweiler/husky mix how to "sit" and "down" by the time he was 8 weeks old. It's amazing how fast those little buggers can learn. Just use a treat, and get Dallas to follow it. Don't use a collar, and don't try to force him into the sit or down position. That's not good for young pups. Try it, he might surprise you!

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Thanks everyone
I'll most likely get the "book" Bubbatd. Yes my puppy is 6 weeks old and I will look into obediance classes ASAP! The PetsMart here offers obediance classes is that good enough? Also I will start on his basic commands tomorrow, Dallas is asleep right now, he has thrown up some b/c of him being wormed and what not, so he is very tired.

Thanks again and i'll get more pics of him up ASAP

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Fran27 said:
Your sig is the cutest sig ever :D
Thank you so much! Keyodie did the first part of my siggy and the 2nd part is just a pic of Dallas rolling! :D

Thanks Keyo for the siggy!!!! Oh and the avatar!!! :D

Members online

No members online now.