A rant: nothing to do with a mutt

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Zeus is doing wonderfully in obedience. Since he's a hound, I've also started some tracking work. I'd love to be able to eventually participate in local ovedience events and competitions. But guess what? Zeus is not a registered purebred, so he can't compete in any events in our area. Absolutely none. Same with my last dog, Odin. He loved to weight pull, and was good at it. But he was a mutt, so he never could have competed in any events.

People are encouraged "Adopt a shelter dog! They make wonderful pets! Just as great as any purebred!" But lo and behold, mutts and non-registered dogs are left out in the cold when it comes to competing in canine sports. I think that's kind of a turn-off to mutts. Not that I'd ever give up my Zeus for anything.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the logic. I know that dog trials are basically designed to prove and evaluate a dog's breeding worthiness, which is why only purebreds are allowed. But still, it's so hard to sit on the sidelines. I know there are "all dog" competition leagues out there, but they are few and far between. The closest one to me is a 6-hour drive away.

Anybody else know my frustration?

Y

yuckaduck

Make up your own groups. We all get together here everyday at 1pm everyone welcome. Purebred and mutts, today we did relay races, and Yukon got to play for a while. He is still not on full exercise but he was at least able to play. We started this group because we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment and found exercise very hard. So we got a group together and the fun began, now we have our house and 200 acres but we still drive over for the fun times it is so good for socializing and just plain having fun.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Hmm, I might have to consider that. How did you go about starting your group, Yuck?

Y

yuckaduck

Gempress said:
Hmm, I might have to consider that. How did you go about starting your group, Yuck?
Made up flyers and post them everywhere. Just said young pup wants to met other dogs and have a play time. Meet at the park at 1 pm everyday rain shine for free fun. Each owner responsible for there own dog. No breed prejudice, and it will not be tolerated. Meant to be a fun time for all canine and human.

Melissa_W

I think that's crazy. A competition is about who's the best, not about how good a dog's pedigree is.

Y

yuckaduck

Melissa_W said:
I think that's crazy. A competition is about who's the best, not about how good a dog's pedigree is.

The competitions and fun that we have are about fun not who is best. We have a yorkie and a great dane so it is hard to expect the exact same thing from them. It is all about fun and exercise for the dogs and us.

Melissa_W

yuckaduck said:
The competitions and fun that we have are about fun not who is best. We have a yorkie and a great dane so it is hard to expect the exact same thing from them. It is all about fun and exercise for the dogs and us.
lol... well, you are right. hehe... I am too competitive. :D

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That's sounds like a blast! The agility class I go to is all breed, and it's a lot of fun. There's even a Golden in there. :)

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
United States Dog Agility Assc. welcomes all dogs mutts included can compete. See if there is a non-filiated AKC agility club somewhere close. Hey I know Gempress LOL you could pass him off as a poor quality great dane and get an ILP on him from AKC. Just kidding. I don't think its fair either. My aussie is stockdog reg. not akc so she can not compete in anything. bummer.

filarotten

Fila the love
oh, Gempress & Zeus that is not fair. Get him in somewhere. He is way to smart and cute not to showup those stuffy you no whats. This must be done. I will find a way to help. I can't help it I love this dog.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
gempress, are the events in your area only AKC? UKC allows mixed breeds in almost all their performance events.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Yup, the events are AKC only.

LOL Renee! Mebbe that's why I love filas so much, too...

RD

Are you dead yet?
If all that is in your area are AKC events, you could always fib and get an ILP number for Zeus. Just find the AKC-recognized breed that he resembles closest and register him as that.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
LOL! I could be the owner of the world's worst-bred great dane. Or the worst-bred anatolian (since I'm told he looks like one of those, too.)

Mordy

Quigleyfied
RD said:
If all that is in your area are AKC events, you could always fib and get an ILP number for Zeus. Just find the AKC-recognized breed that he resembles closest and register him as that.
yup, a number of mixed breed owners i know who live in "AKC only" areas have done that. mainly to be able to participate in agility.

i was considering it for a while, but my dog doesn't look even close to any breed the AKC recognizes, plus i do have UKC events in my area and i don't think it would go over well if he's registered as a mix with UKC and as a purebred with AKC. lol

Members online

No members online now.