Rant! Poodle owners

Locke

I could go on and on. A big one for me is their intelligence. Sometimes it's as though they can read your mind. They're cuddly, they're goofy, they're athletic, they're stable, they're easy going...and they don't shed!

Miniature poodles tend to be much more active than standards and toys, but like all dogs, it depends on the individual.

It'll be hard to find a red poodle from a reputable breeder. The "rare" colours tend to attract unscrupulous breeders. There are great reds out there, you just have to be careful because poodles have A LOT of health issues and there are some lines that are truly riddled with issues.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Here are some pictures of Draco, my 10 month old standard. Poodles are such a great breed! I will always have at least one in my life! Riley, my first poodle who passed away last year was just the best dog ever!

Doberluv

Really Locke? The minis are more active than the standards? Wow! Or is it just that the standards need more exercise since they're bigger? That's gives me food for thought. I like active, but not too crazy active. LOL.

Poodlesmom! I LOVE your dogs. Those are some terrific photos! What beauties. And sweet Riley...it's so hard isn't it. (((hugs))) Thank you so much for posting. (I think thank you.) lol. You might just be "enabling" me. :eek: :D

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Okay, okay, Wesley picture time!

2 Weeks Old, at the breeder's:

Seven weeks old, being held by me:

Five months old, sporting an accidental goldendoodle look (groomer screwed up):

1 year old, doing what he does best, which is run run running

digging a sandpit to china

and 2 years old now, birthday boy~

Whew, that enough?

Oh, and Wesley is crazy active, he never ever ever stops. Be warned, I have talked with several other standard poodle owners and we all agree they are immature puppies for ages-Wesley's best friends to play with are always 6 months - a year, haha.

Doberluv

No, it's never enough. Awwwwww... Wesley is adorable. Those puppy pictures are to die for. What a handsome fella, even in his Labradoodle clip. I like Labradoodles. He looks like he has a terrific place to run. I don't. That's why I'm thinking more miniature. I use to have when I lived in Idaho and I had my Doberman who also needed tons of exercise. I had 5 acres plus forest service land adjacent plus wilderness hiking trails all over. It was a real dog heaven where I lived before. Here, I could do walks and find a few off leash places, but not every day like I did in Idaho. I have a small yard...fine for a small dog, but not for a big dog. I could even set up a small agility course in my back yard....maybe. lol. Thanks for the pics. They're wonderful.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I only wish I had a DSLR when he was a puppy, it's a shame we only have a couple bad-quality ones. I'm, like, buying a 7D for this coming border collie puppy lol!

To be fair-he gets EXHAUSTED from trick training. Teaching back up just about blew up his brain. He's also super smart, it took him 5 minutes a day for 5 days to get it down. But like, waaay more exhausted then any of those walks make him. I also have a miniature poodle, she really doesn't need much exercise anymore at 11 years old, we got her as a rescue when she was nine months old. We do not have an obsession with poodles, really, it was a coincidence.

But they are awesome, sensitive and incredibly intelligent dogs. They do have a natural tendency to be very watchdogish and barky. They also don't have too much gogogo like border collies do (says the person getting a BC), but I swear Wesley's up there in smarts. The little miniature poodle, Cleo, is a genius and 10x smarter than him, she still picks up tricks so. fast. at her old age.

crazedACD

I've been pondering what I really like in a dog, and I'm curious...how are their focus? I'm starting to really prefer dogs that naturally have an interest in me (haha). If you go out to a field and let them loose...are they going to go critter and meander around, or are they going to hang out by you, bring you a ball, try to engage you?

I know they aren't as high drive as say a border collie or ACD but are they easily motivated?

I think if I ever were to bite the bullet and do it, I'd probably look for an adult..just given what I look for.

Flyinsbt

I like the phantoms too (that's what they call the tanpoint Poodles), and the partis. But those are unallowable in the US, so I don't know if one can find them from responsible breeders.

Sparrow

What about miniature Poodles Allison? I love the standards too. If I wanted a larger dog, I'd totally go for one. They are reeeeeeeelly tempting. But I'm sold on smaller sized dogs. I'm getting freakin' old and I have a very small yard. I don't want to have to lift a heavy dog if necessary and I find the small ones so easy to travel with etc, etc, etc. So, I'm thinking IF I get another dog....a miniature Poodle. Apparently, they're a little less likely to get some of those genetic health problems. What do you all think? I could still do agility with a mini and walk and hike like I like to. But yeah...they're not as regal perhaps as the big ones. Oh, and that's on my name list for a male...Regal. Cool, huh.
I like te Kleinpudels. It's not really a size in the US, but they are basically small Standards/large Minis. I've heard good things about this breeder's dogs: http://karbitpoodles.com/kleinpudel.html

I like the slightly smaller size, but not too much smaller. I like the Standards' look. A lot of the health problems are because of all the crazy inrbeeding that took place. You have to make sure to find a breeder with low COIs (for more than just a few generations back,) and plenty of health history. Spoos are very inbred - especially certain colors - unless you go looking for the right one.

Sparrow

I've been pondering what I really like in a dog, and I'm curious...how are their focus? I'm starting to really prefer dogs that naturally have an interest in me (haha). If you go out to a field and let them loose...are they going to go critter and meander around, or are they going to hang out by you, bring you a ball, try to engage you?

I know they aren't as high drive as say a border collie or ACD but are they easily motivated?

I think if I ever were to bite the bullet and do it, I'd probably look for an adult..just given what I look for.
I can't speak from personal experience, but I've heard drive depends on the line. If I get one, it will probably be from on of the links posted so far (or similar.) Karbits breeds drivey dogs, and the breeders that are going for hunting lines will be pretty driven. I can't say more than that, though.

Doberluv

Thanks guys for all the nice tid bits of info.

I'd probably go for a solid color. I am quite partial to the silver ones. Or black or white. LOL. Over the weekend both of my Chi's had a case of diarrhea. I have no idea what their problem was. They didn't act sick in any other way. It might have been too many hand outs of bacon one morning when at my daughter's. Anyhow, I was very busy cleaning up after them, rushing them outside frequently. And I think now...OMG what am I thinking of? Another dog? I just not sure I'm ready yet for more. These two are generally so easy, relatively calm and lovely companions. On the other hand.....:rofl1:

Love all the pictures. I can never get enough. Thanks so much.

I like the phantoms too (that's what they call the tanpoint Poodles), and the partis. But those are unallowable in the US, so I don't know if one can find them from responsible breeders.
Not in AKC but UKC they are ;)

COLOR

Coat colors in Multi-Colored Poodles include the following: Apricot, black, blue, cream, gray, silver, white, red, silver beige and all shades of brown, including café-au-lait. Also acceptable is a fine streaked or striped effect or pattern of black or tan hairs in combination with these colors.

Dogs whose coats include the brown shades may have dark amber eyes; liver noses, eye rims and lips; and dark nails. Dogs with apricot coat color may have this combination of eye, pigment and nail color as well but it is not desirable. All others must have very dark eyes; black noses, eye rims and lips; and black or self-colored nails.

These colors (and combinations of colors) must appear in one of the following patterns:

● Parti-colored: At least fifty percent white, with spots or patches of any other acceptable solid color. The head can be of a solid color but white muzzle, blaze, or white muzzle/blaze combination (preferably symmetrical) are equally acceptable. Full or partial saddles are acceptable, as long as they do not exceed the color proportion, but are not preferred. Ticking in the white of the coat is acceptable but not preferred.

● Phantom: Solid base color with sharply defined markings of a second color appearing above each eye, on the sides of the muzzle, on the throat and forechest, or in a chin and forechest bowtie pattern as well as on all four legs and feet, and below the tail. A phantom without clearly defined face markings or one that presents with its whole face colored in the second color is acceptable, as long as it maintains all the other specified body markings. Any combination of acceptable colors is allowed.

● Abstract: Less than fifty percent white, with the remaining percent any other acceptable solid color.

● Sable: A coat represented by black-tipped hairs on a background of any solid color, with no particular pattern/location designated for such hairs.

● Multi-patterned: A dog that clearly exhibits more than one of the acceptable color patterns, such as; a Parti with full or incomplete phantom markings (facial markings with or without presentation of the diamond under the tail), or a Phantom with additional abstract markings, etc.

Disqualification: Any color or color pattern other than described above; albinism.

Doberluv

I like te Kleinpudels. It's not really a size in the US, but they are basically small Standards/large Minis. I've heard good things about this breeder's dogs: http://karbitpoodles.com/kleinpudel.html

I like the slightly smaller size, but not too much smaller. I like the Standards' look. A lot of the health problems are because of all the crazy inrbeeding that took place. You have to make sure to find a breeder with low COIs (for more than just a few generations back,) and plenty of health history. Spoos are very inbred - especially certain colors - unless you go looking for the right one.
I just looked over that website. That is a cool idea. Is it acceptable in the US? They are within the range of one or the other...mini or standard. I see nothing though, about health testing or where they're located.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I LOVE Standard Poodles! I used to have a GSD mix who was in love with a female that we would see at agility every Friday night.

Does the hair on the muzzle stay short like that? The puppies don't seem to have much hair there.

Locke

I LOVE Standard Poodles! I used to have a GSD mix who was in love with a female that we would see at agility every Friday night.

Does the hair on the muzzle stay short like that? The puppies don't seem to have much hair there.
Nope, you have to shave their faces.

Sparrow

I just looked over that website. That is a cool idea. Is it acceptable in the US? They are within the range of one or the other...mini or standard. I see nothing though, about health testing or where they're located.
They don't have a lot of info on their site, but I've found some test results on their dogs. I'm sure they'd give more info if asked. It does say they health test, research backgrounds, and plan litters accordingly. Some places don't test as much as I'd like on the smaller ones, claiming they don't have the joint problems. With any future puppy I want to know everything about the parents' hips and elbows.

I think you can show them within their size range. Some people don't like that certain Klein lines - or even small Standard lines - have historically incorporated Minis for the size. But then I personally prefer that over the Standard breeders who have created hugely inbred dogs generation after generation. I like the breeders with imported dogs to diversify their lines.

Breeders usually get pups started on grooming so they are used to it. I love the unshaved face looks, though!

crazedACD

I remember a poodle boarding that was "small standard" or "large mini", I was trying to figure out which she was, asked the owner, said she was from the UK. She had a fantastic temperament and the size was good.

Members online