How "open" about your dog nerdiness are you?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I don't hide anything, but I do have other things going on in my life. So I don't just spew dog stuff. I have a variety of friends from all walks of life from different stages in my life and they all know me, or they wouldn't be my friends...

Even work colleagues know stuff. If they look confused or intrigued I just say everyone needs a hobby :) mostly people are curious and ask questions.

Everything is on the slow burner now anyway. I don't go to training classes currently, and I'm not showing Fred (and probably won't again i suspect). But once I can again I will. Plus we talk of getting another.... At some point!

Embarrassingly open. Not for me, but probably for other people when I'm like "OH YEAH DOGS DOGS DOGS." I think people are put off by it, but I can never really tell. Maybe they're just polite. I'm dating a guy who doesn't dislike dogs, but he's not an animal person in general. He has not met my dogs and I like to think his eyes don't glaze over when I start yapping. Though he did say he would be open to riding the sled this winter and thought it sounded cool.

Though there was that one time a friend and I nearly got into a bar fight that ended with the other party being kicked out because we were arguing about dogs. Yes, that happened.

Honestly I hide it a lot. My friends know I like animals and volunteer with rescues, but they don't know the extent of my dog obsession lol. My family knows, and I used to be really open with them, but then I stopped when someone in my family made a really rude comment about it. My best friend knows, though, but she's a dog person too :p

Torch

I'm pretty open about it. Most of my friends get a kick out of it.

I do enjoy surprising people with my nerdiness. I'm normally very business like and assertive in my professional life, and I'm a very private person anyway, but some of my long time clients know how passionate I am about them.

One of my clients was like "Whoa, you have a pit bull? You show dogs? You train with your dog to pull large amounts of weight and other 'dog sports'?!! Mind blown!!!"

It was really funny.

RBark

Got Floof?
I have two separate Facebook accounts because FB keeps changing the privacy settings constantly and I have no freaking clue what controls what anymore.

Separate accounts remove that problem entirely. I will never have to worry the wrong person saw the wrong thing.

I post about 4 times a year on my work/family account. Dog/friend account gets all the action.

I introduce myself like this:

"Hi my name is Vickie and if you do not like dogs, do not talk to me or friend request me on FB because most everything is dogs with a bit of personal life thrown in and lots of dry humor."

Very open. I talk about Chomper too much, I know, and my Facebook has basically become all about him - with some other posts thrown in. Thankfully, most people I know also love dogs, or at least enjoy their preseance, so I've yet to have any comments about it, which wouldn't matter to me anyways. ;)

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Pretty open, now... I feel like maybe I used to be a little more low-key about it? Now that I'm around like-minded individuals for the majority of my day, it makes it easier to let the crazy out.

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
I was automatically low-key about it (not because of embarrassment, but I didn't feel the NEED to tell everybody that I was obsessed with researching dog stuff), until I came to Calarts and this guy in my class was so openly obsessed with dogs. And then everyone knew HIM as the "dog person", and I was almost put off by it because it felt like he was stealing my thunder. LMAO

So I started being totally open about it too, and I'm pretty sure people are now tired of me talking about dogs.

DogLover191

The Dogs Room
I randomly spout off bits of information about different dog breeds snd traits on a daily basis. On the plus side, people have learned to come to me for training tips

I randomly spout off bits of information about different dog breeds snd traits on a daily basis. On the plus side, people have learned to come to me for training tips
I agree, I think this is a wonderful bonus to being open about your dog neediness, I know I love when people come to me for training advice or other general dog advice as it is something I am truly passionate about helping people with!

My computer has more dog forums and dog related things on my Desktop than anything else. Most of the people I associate with are dog people so that is what we mainly talk about. My sister is the only relative that I talk a lot of dog with as she is also interested in Agility.

Since I got Kris, my Dobe, I have been doing a lot of training with a group of people that are really into Obedience trials. I train with them several times a week, spend a lot of time in Tim Horton's afterwards talking dogs.

Most of them have no idea how many dogs I have and I don't tend to mention it, they just know I have Kris and Remmy, the Shih Tzu x Maltese, that I do Agility with, not the other four dogs I have.

Michiyo-Fir

I only really talk about dogs with you guys. I do about 20% with my closest friends and around 60% with my boyfriend. But otherwise, I don't talk about dogs at all.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
My in laws got me a new retractable joring line for Christmas and a "Cattle Dog Mom" t-shirt. I'm pretty open. Hehe

Members online

No members online now.