I think i'm loosing my Lady

salask

Back in November, we noticed Lady had lumps on her belly. We took her to the vet and after the lab test were done, we were told she had cancer cells on the lumps but the cancer had not spread throughout her body. I was also told that the recovery for the removal of these lumps would take a huge toll on her and we decided not to move forward with the surgery. My vet agreed with my decision and told me to keep a close eye on her.
Well, last week - she started limping. I had a few rimadyl left from before and gave her 1/2 pill a day and the limping seemed to stop. On Thursday she ate 1/2 her food and Friday she didn't eat at all.
I took her to the vet yesterday for some blood work and x-rays. The x-rays couldn't be done because the machine was down but the blood work came back with elevated white blood cells. They think it might be an infection but they can't tell for certain if it's cancer or not. The bloodwork did not show signs of cancer - and they can't understand why the white blood cells were off the charts. She ate good last night but this morning she ate very little. She seems to be in pain when she gets up and i don't know what to do to make her feel comfortable. Treating her cancer (if it is cancer) with chemo or surgery is out of the question. My baby is almost 12 years of age and i don't want her last days of her life to be painful.
It's killing me to see her this way - Lady is such an active dog and to see her this way kills me. Have any of you gone through something similar and if so, what am i to expect and when will i know when it's time to let her go? I guess i'm still hoping she gets better but something tells me she won't recover from this one.

bubbatd

I'm so sorry to read this . Maybe it's nothing though . How old is she ??

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
you will know from Lady what she is able to endure or not. It's so hard to deal with these things...I hope Lady takes a turn around and starts to feel better.

salask

UPDATE: Lady ate a little last night but didn't want to eat this morning. I'm taking her back to the vet today and have her check for Pyometra. After reading about Pyometra, i'm starting to believe she might actually have a uterus infection. Is anyone familiar with Pyometra?

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Why is your dog in tact?

Does she have a smelly discharge? If she has Pyometra she will have to be spayed. It is a dangerous op on an older dog especially is there is infection present.

Members online

No members online now.