Future Puppy Questions

I have decided that when it is time (months or years from now) that when I adopt the next dog, it will be a puppy (anything under a year). I have so many different kinds of pets running around, I would like to start with a "clean slate" so to speak. I know about the crap shot that is the rescue puppy, but I am willing to chance it.

My questions are:
1. What is the best way to introduce the new pup to other animals? It has been almost a decade since I had a pup and the zoo has multiplied since then.
2. The most important, what is the best way to pick a new pup?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I try to introduce off property so the dog(s) you have don't feel like who is coming onto my property. If not able to do so, usually mine have not had a problem with a puppy.

I have rescued many and just got with my heart. You just know inside when you see a pup that it's the one that is meant to be.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I can't really give advice on picking a puppy out, because the one puppy I've picked has anxiety/aggression issues. So don't listen to me. :p

As to introduce to other animals (I'm not counting dogs), start while they are young and reward for the correct behavior. Always best to keep the new pup on a leash so you can remove him from the situation if need be. I've honestly never had an issue with one of my animals NOT accepting any of my pocket pets when they were introduced as puppies and around them every day. This also includes livestock.
Chloe used to like to bark at/chase our neighbors' goats no matter what I did, but then one day she ran at their cattle fence and got zapped. She screamed and hollered and bolted back to the house, and that was the end of that.

ETA: As for introducing to other dogs, I've always had the best of luck introducing dogs ON my property. BUT, that being said, I've always had dogs that didn't like being in public, and they were much more apt to accept an animal that they viewed as part of the family (aka, it is at the house and it isn't leaving) than a strange animal. Cynder and Abrams just say "hi" to any new dogs out in the yard (not in the apartment) and they've been fine.

I try to introduce off property so the dog(s) you have don't feel like who is coming onto my property. If not able to do so, usually mine have not had a problem with a puppy.

I have rescued many and just got with my heart. You just know inside when you see a pup that it's the one that is meant to be.
I can't really give advice on picking a puppy out, because the one puppy I've picked has anxiety/aggression issues. So don't listen to me. :p

As to introduce to other animals (I'm not counting dogs), start while they are young and reward for the correct behavior. Always best to keep the new pup on a leash so you can remove him from the situation if need be. I've honestly never had an issue with one of my animals NOT accepting any of my pocket pets when they were introduced as puppies and around them every day. This also includes livestock.
Chloe used to like to bark at/chase our neighbors' goats no matter what I did, but then one day she ran at their cattle fence and got zapped. She screamed and hollered and bolted back to the house, and that was the end of that.

ETA: As for introducing to other dogs, I've always had the best of luck introducing dogs ON my property. BUT, that being said, I've always had dogs that didn't like being in public, and they were much more apt to accept an animal that they viewed as part of the family (aka, it is at the house and it isn't leaving) than a strange animal. Cynder and Abrams just say "hi" to any new dogs out in the yard (not in the apartment) and they've been fine.
My parent's dog, Zane, is DS so I'll probably try an "off property" introduction. Zane did well when we got Abby (he was almost 1 and Abby was 8 weeks). I understand about the "meant to be" thing. That's how I ended up with the "plain" black and tan puppy. My dad still can't believe I chose her and not one of the merle, tricolor or fluffy puppies.

My main concern is the chickens. Zane and Abby see them and think, "Yum, Chicken!" (they were not raised with them, so that is probably the reason). They will never be around them unsupervised, so I'm not too worried.

The goats and horse are usually in their feeding pens when the dogs are in the pasture. My three ignore them and will even wander among them with no issue. I limit their time together since one of my goats is a dog hater (she is a Pygmy X who believes it is her mission to head butt everything. Luckily she's polled (hornless).

Maybe my dogs are just weird, or maybe its because of their disabilities (one is mostly blind, the other is deaf and has some sight loss), but whenever we meet dogs outside of our house one is fearful and the other has a tendency to get aggressive. This is both off or on leash, and especially so with puppies. But when dogs come to our house, even if they haven't met before, they are totally ok. Just remember that every dog is different, and have a few different ways thought up to try introducing them so you have a plan b (or c) in case things don't work out the first try :)

Members online

No members online now.