The dog musing/vent thread

Melle

I'm honestly wondering if there will ever be a day where I will feel confident about having my dog.

I love her but I honestly don't have the margin of emotional health where I can constantly tolerate and train her reactivity, or where she's just another stressor piled on top of the rest of the hurdles of my day. I try to be positive every time we train but I seriously can never just feel relaxed with her unless we just lived our lives inside the house, and thus every other day I'm unsure if I made the right decision.

That ends up being a stressor too because of people who think I'm a horrible person for even daring to wonder if she's right for me because of how it's playing out with my anxiety. And then my siblings pressure me to not even ever think about a different dog. But I literally have spent this entire year wanting to tear my hair out when we come back from the shortest walks.

I'm perfectly capable of meeting the needs and beyond of a dog, but I cannot handle reactivity on top of college on top of employment just because a leaf blew across the sidewalk or a dog looked at her.

Bluh.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I'm honestly wondering if there will ever be a day where I will feel confident about having my dog.

I love her but I honestly don't have the margin of emotional health where I can constantly tolerate and train her reactivity, or where she's just another stressor piled on top of the rest of the hurdles of my day. I try to be positive every time we train but I seriously can never just feel relaxed with her unless we just lived our lives inside the house, and thus every other day I'm unsure if I made the right decision.

That ends up being a stressor too because of people who think I'm a horrible person for even daring to wonder if she's right for me because of how it's playing out with my anxiety. And then my siblings pressure me to not even ever think about a different dog. But I literally have spent this entire year wanting to tear my hair out when we come back from the shortest walks.

I'm perfectly capable of meeting the needs and beyond of a dog, but I cannot handle reactivity on top of college on top of employment just because a leaf blew across the sidewalk or a dog looked at her.

Bluh.
There is nothing more frustrating than having a dog that is NOT a good fit for who you are as a person, or your lifestyle. I've been there, done that. Luckily for me, I had family where the dog (Chloe) fit in perfectly and they didn't mind keeping her, so I was able to "rehome" her in good conscious, knowing everyone was better off.

Could we have made it work? Eh, probably. But doing so would have just added extra stress for not only ourselves, but also Chloe, and I feel like everybody involved, including her, would always have been a bit dissatisfied. I still think about the "what if's" sometimes and even offered to take her back a few months ago when Mom was having some issues with her, but it remains the same: we could make it work, but someone would be unhappy.

Another good example is Gracie and Cooper. We inherited them after their owner, a relation of Michael's, past away and they were a HORRIBLE fit for our lifestyles. Great dogs, we loved them, we intended to keep them and did keep them for a year, but it was just stress after stress after stress. We finally placed them with my mother and grandmother and the dogs are SOOOO happy now, as are their new owners.

There isn't an easy answer. In the end, do what you think is best for yourself and your dog, be that sticking it out and making it work or placing the dog in another home.

noludoru

Bored Now.
There is nothing more frustrating than having a dog that is NOT a good fit for who you are as a person, or your lifestyle. I've been there, done that. Luckily for me, I had family where the dog (Chloe) fit in perfectly and they didn't mind keeping her, so I was able to "rehome" her in good conscious, knowing everyone was better off.

There isn't an easy answer. In the end, do what you think is best for yourself and your dog, be that sticking it out and making it work or placing the dog in another home.
:hail:

Middie is not a good fit for me AT ALL. We don't really click. It's been an uphill battle from the beginning. But I've had him for years, and he isn't going anywhere, and it's gotten a lot easier as he's been trained and aged.

Don't give up on her. It's manageable and you can do it. I think its your family that's the problem here, telling you how awful she is and and how you can't manage her. My parents did that, too. The trick is to find a good exercise outlet for her, like a baseball field. If she's tired, she'll be easy to work with.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Poor Abrams. His coat was looking a little drab and it was time for the monthly baths, so I took him outside and started my grooming routine. Upon closer examination, all down his back, under his top coat, he was all crusty and had some red irritated spots. :( I don't know what caused it (no fleas, and it wasn't in the stereotypical flea areas), but he had to have been so uncomfortable. Bathed him in some Allergroom and scrubbed him really well, so hopefully that will help. I hope it wasn't the flea medication that irritated him. :/ This is only the second time I've used that particular brand (Activyl Plus).

On the bright side, Cynder had a full, healthy coat and we've seen neither hide nor hair of her typical summer allergies! This time last year I was battling hot spots with her and she had to be on steroids for a bit, and even had a stint in a cone! She's also kept her weight up, which is awesome!

Gimmick decided that today was the perfect day to vault the baby gate and take off running. Then, since Gimmick was clearly having so much fun, Gambit blew past me (he does not usually dart doors) and took off with him. I live close to two busy roads, and Gimmick has proven he has no car sense.

I called, I drove around, I freaked out for over and hour. And there were maintainance guys at the apartment, so I didn't even know if Gambit would come home.

I finally found them, looking and smelling like they had had a compost lunch, then went for an after lunch swim in a swamp. Oh, and did I mention Gambit was bringing a dead maggot infested raccoon home for dinner?

Now my apartment reeks, the dogs reek, even after a bath, and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to dump them both at AC as strays.

For the first time ever, Quiddich is the good one.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
There's another CUTE dog for adoption here. They call her BC/Aussie but I see retriever in there too. Dunno. But sable and white and bright eyed. 10 months and CUTE. Mable. Cute cute cute.

Someone smack me and tell me that I will find a dog when the time comes. October is the latest I move and that is NOT far away.

Someone also tell me getting a random muttly dog and a puppy is a bad idea. :p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Also bad. I LOVE having 4 dogs this last week. 4 dogs feels really really right. I keep reminding myself 3 are senior papillons so they don't count.

casey82

There's another CUTE dog for adoption here. They call her BC/Aussie but I see retriever in there too. Dunno. But sable and white and bright eyed. 10 months and CUTE. Mable. Cute cute cute.

Someone smack me and tell me that I will find a dog when the time comes. October is the latest I move and that is NOT far away.

Someone also tell me getting a random muttly dog and a puppy is a bad idea. :p
It's not!

And now I'm sitting here trying to decide if I want to actually contact the BC/sheltie litter people....
And you do!

See how helpful I am? :rofl1:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Walking past the neighbor's house with Cajun:

Neighbor, saying to whoever was with her: "there goes that doberman pinscher"
Me: *smile* Hi!
Neighbor: She is such a well behaved dog!
Me: Thank you!
Neighbor: So well trained!
More thanks from me.

I legit love hearing things like this. I want to wring her neck sometimes but then I remember there could really be many other problems. It's not like we were doing anything fancy, just... going for a walk lol. But I understand that to a lot of people, a dog walking politely is impressive.

Melle

Could we have made it work? Eh, probably. But doing so would have just added extra stress for not only ourselves, but also Chloe, and I feel like everybody involved, including her, would always have been a bit dissatisfied. I still think about the "what if's" sometimes and even offered to take her back a few months ago when Mom was having some issues with her, but it remains the same: we could make it work, but someone would be unhappy.

Another good example is Gracie and Cooper. We inherited them after their owner, a relation of Michael's, past away and they were a HORRIBLE fit for our lifestyles. Great dogs, we loved them, we intended to keep them and did keep them for a year, but it was just stress after stress after stress. We finally placed them with my mother and grandmother and the dogs are SOOOO happy now, as are their new owners.

:hail:

Middie is not a good fit for me AT ALL. We don't really click. It's been an uphill battle from the beginning. But I've had him for years, and he isn't going anywhere, and it's gotten a lot easier as he's been trained and aged.

Don't give up on her. It's manageable and you can do it. I think its your family that's the problem here, telling you how awful she is and and how you can't manage her. My parents did that, too. The trick is to find a good exercise outlet for her, like a baseball field. If she's tired, she'll be easy to work with.
A lot of it definitely has to do with my family, mostly coming from the fact that my dad is not a dog fan and he was nervous enough about bull breed type dogs that when we first adopted her, he'd get up in arms when she barked and ran around his feet one time he actually brandished a tool at her v.v

It's much better now but he hates it when a dog hair touches any of his stuff, when anything of mine that has dog hair touches something he touches, and she still demands attention when they're both outside at the same time by just continuously bopping his hands and barking at him and won't calm down for 10 minutes. Probably partly because she associates my anxiety with him.

So yeah, I always feel pressure to have her be on her best behavior in the house and then we go for a walk and despite working daily on her frustrated excitement during all 10 months of owning her and giving her plenty of exercise, she still feels the need to attempt to run on leash and make the ugliest pterodactyl squeal at a dog like 20 feet away when the day before she walked past a dog right across the street. Thus, just to walk around the neighborhood I have to constantly be overflowing with treats and it can never just be leisurely because she's constantly looking for things to stress over. And then we get home and I wish I could magically tape her mouth shut because that noise is just like...No, Nina, no.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Puppies were born today -- only one male out of four, aaaand he's the forbidden color. The universe does not want me to have a puppy.
I know that feel. I'm really sorry, it's heartbreaking.

I will say when that happened to me, I ended up with Payton.

That is possibly a good thing or a cautionary tale, I'm not certain which.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Gimmick decided that today was the perfect day to vault the baby gate and take off running. Then, since Gimmick was clearly having so much fun, Gambit blew past me (he does not usually dart doors) and took off with him. I live close to two busy roads, and Gimmick has proven he has no car sense.

I called, I drove around, I freaked out for over and hour. And there were maintainance guys at the apartment, so I didn't even know if Gambit would come home.

I finally found them, looking and smelling like they had had a compost lunch, then went for an after lunch swim in a swamp. Oh, and did I mention Gambit was bringing a dead maggot infested raccoon home for dinner?

Now my apartment reeks, the dogs reek, even after a bath, and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to dump them both at AC as strays.

For the first time ever, Quiddich is the good one.
But Gambit was bringing you a raccoon for dinner :D

I am glad you found them safe...

Locke

A lot of it definitely has to do with my family, mostly coming from the fact that my dad is not a dog fan and he was nervous enough about bull breed type dogs that when we first adopted her, he'd get up in arms when she barked and ran around his feet one time he actually brandished a tool at her v.v

It's much better now but he hates it when a dog hair touches any of his stuff, when anything of mine that has dog hair touches something he touches, and she still demands attention when they're both outside at the same time by just continuously bopping his hands and barking at him and won't calm down for 10 minutes. Probably partly because she associates my anxiety with him.

So yeah, I always feel pressure to have her be on her best behavior in the house and then we go for a walk and despite working daily on her frustrated excitement during all 10 months of owning her and giving her plenty of exercise, she still feels the need to attempt to run on leash and make the ugliest pterodactyl squeal at a dog like 20 feet away when the day before she walked past a dog right across the street. Thus, just to walk around the neighborhood I have to constantly be overflowing with treats and it can never just be leisurely because she's constantly looking for things to stress over. And then we get home and I wish I could magically tape her mouth shut because that noise is just like...No, Nina, no.

If you can find her a home that will better suit her needs, then I'd say rehome her. Sometimes it is not the proper fit, and being stressed and resentful does not do you or her any favours.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Signed up for get focused course.. the gold spots sold out in 6 minutes so stuck with bronze spot. That said beyond excited for this course& hoping that, along with impulse control, it is the key to our trial success :/ I give up if not.

Maxy24

Bluh.
If walks are causing most of this stress I'd stop walking her if you can. I've never considered walks to be the best exercise honestly, running around after a ball or playing a rousing game of tug (with some fetch and chase thrown in) can do more to tire a dog out physically. You'd have to find new ways of mentally working her, since walks do provide a lot of sensory stimulation, something like hide and seek (either finding you or finding a treat, or even doing your own nose work...you can even buy duck scent). Management/avoidance isn't the worst thing in the world, especially if it makes both of your lives less stressful.

You could also consider taking a reactive dog class.

Members online

No members online now.