Breeds with crazy endurance (help me pick future dog?)

crazedACD

A bit big, but definitely fit most of what I like. Not sure about longevity, though? I just really like the idea of breeds that work hard well into what most consider old age.

I know a couple that used to have a GSP. I thought he was fantastic, but he drove them nuts! He didn't get near enough exercise, and nothing for his brain, so he counter surfed and destroyed things and they called him stupid. Funny how the dogs that get called stupid are usually the most intelligent.
A note on Viszlas: I think they would fit okay into your size requirements, as I've met a few around 45 pounds. Not what I'd consider large dogs!

And for what it's worth, I know a GSP who is 9 years old and still goes hunting every season in the mountains with his dad. He hasn't slowed down a bit. I imagine a Viszla would be much the same. :)
Skye is from what I believe, an English Pointer mix (or, field bred). I've had her since 2006, got her as an adult, and believe she is 9-10ish. I just started her on agility last winter. Her mobility is not concerning at all, she can still run and jump and play as hard as when she was young. I can't forsee any major problems with arthritis or anything like that. Her recall is not good, but Pointers do tend to want to range a distance around you. The times she has gotten away from me, obviously I have gotten her back, but I don't trust her. I would never trial her outside if we ever got to that point.

She tended a bit to chase the cats when I first got her, and also was concerned about my pet birds, but that calmed quickly with some redirection. She pays the cats and birds no attention now. She is big on "crittering", she will chase outdoor cats, obsesses on squirrels and chipmunks. In Florida she would run the fence line looking for lizards to catch, and up here she finds snakes and kills them. She doesn't normally alert bark for nothing (if she does, there is something really wrong) but she is loud about attention/excitement type barking. She does get cold and benefits from having a coat and boots if it's cold enough, she doesn't seem to get overheated. She will go in water if I ask her to but she's not super crazy about it. She is a little reserved with strangers but is happy to be petted if you ask nicely :p. Absolutely no DR/DA, though she can be a little possessive and growly over "her" things, she will not fight.

Hope this helps!

Elrohwen

You said no sporting dogs, but I have to agree with the suggestions of griff, vizsla, GSP, and brittany. A field bred English springer or field bred lab would also work, though they are more friendly with strangers than the pointers, IME. Welshies are probably the most reserved with strangers out of all the spaniels, and they have endurance, but probably not as much as you want.

I think Koolie's fit, but the AKC registration can be an issue depending on what you want to do. Kelpie?

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
A bit big, but definitely fit most of what I like. Not sure about longevity, though? I just really like the idea of breeds that work hard well into what most consider old age.
I don't know why you'd be concerned about longevity in Vizslas? They are long lived& don't slow down. We met Penn's grandmother who was 13& running laps outside in their yard.. I follow a Vizsla who competes in agility in the States& the dog is 11 and still very impressive.

Also, they are smaller than other sporting breeds! I can easily pick Penn up& carry her. She likes people but wouldn't chose interacting with a stranger over following me. As a puppy she was a huge people dog but with her age, her desire to interact with strangers has faded. She barks A LOT during playtime but that's it. Otherwise, if she barks there's something worth barking about.

joce

I read it thinking my Blitz fits that completely. You can see some other dog aggression in acds but not always. Think its really one to look into!

krissy

I love me my sighthounds but I wouldn't recommend one for you, though I'm most familiar with greyhounds. Kili would actually fit well for your list but unless you're strong she's on the big side for your wants (just under 60 lbs). I can pick her up to get her in the tub but I can't carry her.

She's hell on four paws though. Easily runs 5 km and I'd like to get a bike so I can work her up to 10 km. But that's pretty individual. Even when Summit was 5 (when we got him) he wouldn't jog with me for more than 5 minutes... but he'll hike all day! They're not great on super rocky terrain though and definitely need layers in the winter. Heat is variable as well. Summit is dreadful for heat, Kili handles it much better.

A whippet might work out alright as they are in your size range and not as long so probably better in rough terrain. They tend to be higher energy as well. It really depends what you mean by "endurance" though. I think many sighthounds are up for being active all day... but not necessarily running all day!

I think a Viszla might be quite suitable.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Romy, you are REALLY making me want a Griff.
doitttt. We can take over the chazworld.

Good. We need another chazgriff. :D
I will have pictures in a month or two from a breeder we are considering. ;)

I read it thinking my Blitz fits that completely. You can see some other dog aggression in acds but not always. Think its really one to look into!
As usual, lines are important! I think if you want a harder dog than the Koolie, they are a good dog to go with. They aren't one to back down from anything, but most don't seek a fight.

Also, are you dead set on AKC agility? I don't know the rules for many of the venues about s/n but you could always do a different venue if you didn't want to s/n to register...

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Okay, this turned out SUPER long, but if anyone wants to read any or all of it and basically tell me which breeds can gogogo all day and still be reasonable to live with, you get a cookie!

I was talking to a local trainer about a future breed for me and I am still undecided. I don't plan on getting a pup until Zoe is gone, but want to know what I am getting into ahead of time. She was rather horrified at my love of sighthounds and terriers, as she is into herders herself.

I really want a dog that can accompany me on any adventure. Biking all day, hiking super difficult terrain all weekend (it's not a hike to me unless it involves climbing a mountain,) running all... afternoon. :-D You get the idea.

When looking at potential future breeds, I tend to be able to find the other traits I want, but then realize that breed may not have the endurance I want. Breeds that have the endurance I want end up having other traits I DON'T want.

For example, Malinois have crazy endurance, but are too much dog for me. Dalmatians have endurance in spades, but I want to avoid getting a pup when doing so means it probably had siblings euthanized for deafness. Border Collies don't quite have the right "feel" from a temperament perspective for me, though I could maybe find the right one. Koolies sound perfect, but I would like to be able to get into conformation, plus my understanding is that a non-AKC breed would have to be neutered to even do AKC agility trials.

Oh - longevity is a HUGE priority for me. I want a dog that can do the gogogo thing for many, many years.

What about a Westie. Look into them. We live in the mountains and are very active people. We regularly take Teagan up mountain scrambles and hikes, we even take her Mountain biking and she keeps up. She does very well in the old and heat and most Westies love Water. Teagan can play in water all day.

We can take Teagan off leash, she is very handler orientated, but is aloof when it comes to strangers.

Sparrow

Thanks, everyone, for all the help. You guys rock!

Brittany? Like you I'm not generally a fan of gundog personality. Our French Brit is not aggressive with people and happy enough if someone wants to pat her but she doesn't have that "everyone is my friend and I must say hi" kinda personality that as a Border Collie owner I dislike. She would not run up to dogs or people she doesn't know because they are of no interest to her. She is a very good alert watchdog too. She adores her family and she is extremely loving and loyal.

My husband hunts with her and she will do multiday hunting trips with him easily. At home she is a couch potato. Very lazy and likes warmth. With me (on the odd occasion she isn't off doing hunting trips or field trailling) she does agility and rally and I think she enjoys it. Her sister went to someone who doesn't hunt or do any kind of dog sports and wanted a tireless running buddy and she has a good life too.
Awesome input, thank you. Every Brittany I have seen seems to have a wonderful temperament. There are some nice ones around here. Of the gundogs, they are one I do like.

I don't know why you'd be concerned about longevity in Vizslas? They are long lived& don't slow down. We met Penn's grandmother who was 13& running laps outside in their yard.. I follow a Vizsla who competes in agility in the States& the dog is 11 and still very impressive.

Also, they are smaller than other sporting breeds! I can easily pick Penn up& carry her. She likes people but wouldn't chose interacting with a stranger over following me. As a puppy she was a huge people dog but with her age, her desire to interact with strangers has faded. She barks A LOT during playtime but that's it. Otherwise, if she barks there's something worth barking about.
Not so much concerned as I really don't know much about them. They sound pretty similar to Weims from what I've read, and I think my brain keeps wanting to make them the same size, but clearly the Vizsla is smaller. My friend had a Weim and she always told me how much the stories I told about Zoe reminded her of him. I would probably get one (Weim) if they were smaller. Plus the high rate of bloat scares me from a "what if we're in the middle of the wood a day from any vet" stance. Maybe a V is a good replacement for my grey dog want.

I think they are one I definitely need to look more into. They are gorgeous, of course, and I have read of people doing regular 20-milers with them. I think I could picture myself with a little Vizsla girl.

As usual, lines are important! I think if you want a harder dog than the Koolie, they are a good dog to go with. They aren't one to back down from anything, but most don't seek a fight.

Also, are you dead set on AKC agility? I don't know the rules for many of the venues about s/n but you could always do a different venue if you didn't want to s/n to register...
I like ACDs quite a bit. Future dog doesn't have to love other dogs - just be able live with them w/out crate/rotate and compete in agility without leaving the ring to eat them, etc.

And yeah, I really want to be able to do AKC agility. I know of only two trials all year in Alaska that aren't AKC, and both of the local trials are AKC, so I would have to do them if I wanted to do the ones with "my dog people." Stupid rules, anyhow.

What about a Westie. Look into them. We live in the mountains and are very active people. We regularly take Teagan up mountain scrambles and hikes, we even take her Mountain biking and she keeps up. She does very well in the old and heat and most Westies love Water. Teagan can play in water all day.

We can take Teagan off leash, she is very handler orientated, but is aloof when it comes to strangers.
I'll have to get over my own dog's personal bias against them to consider the breed. ;) I do love me some terrier, though!

Sparrow

Oh - and I need to admit to a bit of an obsession with American Water Spaniels. I should probably just admit that the sporting group is for me after all. Just not certain breeds within it, or certain lines.

I know the AWS has good endurance for hunting, but I'm not sure they'd make a good biking partner the way a Vizsla would. Just not enough of those curly little things around, but I just love the size of them. And their tails! And choco-dogs are awesome.

Members online

No members online now.