alcohol and dogs

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
when i saw the thread a wee bit of scotch..i knew i had read this somewhere, but it took me a while to track it down..
sober advice
many owners don't realize
how harmful. even fatal
alcohol can be for a dog.
Alcohol is absorbed by the body
quickly, and a small amount
can shut down a dog's vital systems
completely. Even some common household
products-such as mouthwash, perfume,
and cooking extracts like vanilla-can contain
up to 35% alcohol.
this was in my 365Dogs page a day calander from 2005

Ash47

Taco Dog
Thanks smkie. I had no idea that alcohol could harm them that bad. *My uncle used to give beer to one of his dogs.* But I never have!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i don't know for sure, but i imagine like chocolate is is the smaller dogs that are the most at risk..but i wouldn't chance it anyway. I had a parrot that my college friends were always trying to slip something that just infuriated me..i had to watch them like a hawk when they were over. A bird's heart rate and metabolism are so fast......he was just my best friend too...i didn't want to post until i found where i had read it...i knew i had read it somewhere.

bubbatd

Grammy will be careful !!! Chip mainly licks my finger dips once in a while....I only have 8 fingers ( never do thumbs !) Thanks for posting the info !!

bubbatd

Smkie...Grrrr, wroof wroof !!! bark bark bark !!!! WOOF!!!! Chip.

Yes... the idiots that actually FEED their dogs alcohol to see if they can get drunk makes me SICK! Every once in awhile we might dip our finger in our drink and see if there's any interest. Laugh if there is, whatever. But some people actually put a whole saucer down for their dogs thinking it's cute/funny... NOT!!!!!

Ash47

Taco Dog
Oh, I know Eli. My dad caught him once trying to do it to one of our dogs and OMG. Daddy freaked. I was standing there and started crying because I figured out what they were fighting about. Why get a dog drunk?? GO get yourself drunk and see how many times you can fall and hurt YOURSELF.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I would never give any of my dogs beer

My dads friend Joe has a Flat Coated Retreiver he's old and fat and is completely addicted to beer. Joe will be drinking a beer and Burt (the dog) will whine and wale until Joe pours some one the floor and he licks it up off the floor.

Burt is now 12 1/2 years old and just as active as ever Joe is now sober and so is Burt.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i dont' think beer which is usually 3 or 5 percent is much of a threat..it is the higher percentages that are the danger..and of course the smaller the dog..old boss was always trying to pour a slug of beer in one dog or the other...(german man he was) and most did not like it..i never thought he should either..but it wasn't my dog or my kennel. I just didn't want someone to read the thread to think that it was safe an ok..i remembered somewhere that i had read something along that line..for the smaller breeds like chocolate..it might not be a good idea at all..not even a little.

Members online

No members online now.