Chloe's Attempt at Disc

She gets the tricks pretty easily (leg weaves, rebounds, foot stalls) but going after the disc has been something that has been harder for her to get. She doesn't like chasing after it too much, she likes it thrown right to her. But she does seem to be getting a little more drive for the disc!

We haven't practiced in probably a few months, but this is where she was at when we played today!

I obviously need to teach her to drop it though.. lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E_BGkYq31w

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
She's good at catching those! We need to combine her and Juno... Juno thinks chasing the disc is SO MUCH FUN but she can't catch them to save her life. :D

Thanks!

She's good at catching those! We need to combine her and Juno... Juno thinks chasing the disc is SO MUCH FUN but she can't catch them to save her life. :D
She is definitely getting better. I think I could get her to do backflips to catch a disc eventually. She has done it sometimes due to my bad throwing skills. I also find it much harder to not make wobbly discs when doing short throws for her.. I wish I had a dog that would run out and catch them.. But she will probably make me a better thrower until then!

Yes I think we should combine them!

I think one of my favorite parts of re-watching this video is the random appearances of angel's ears lol! Too cute. She is very bad at anything disc other than obsessively scratching the disc when it's on the ground...

amberdyan

She looks like she's doing so well! We've played around some, but Hugo doesn't have nearly as good of catch rate as she does : p

She looks awesome!

when you say she doesn't like chasing them- are you throwing them as flyers or rollers?
Both, before she would chase temporarily and then be like eh.. and turn around and hang out with me or she wouldn't even chase it at all and would just watch it roll away. For throwing them as flyers she would attempt to catch it if it was near her, if not she would just watch it land. LAZY. lol.

She looks like she's doing so well! We've played around some, but Hugo doesn't have nearly as good of catch rate as she does : p
Really? I feel like my video isn't impressive at all. I didn't think short slow catches were that difficult to teach! But this is coming from a dog that used to suck at catching things and she had balls hit her in the face 100,000 times before she started to learn to open her mouth.

She has been catching discs more lately. I still would like her to get a lot more into the disc, but hopefully practicing more and me being happy and praising her will get her to like the disc even more?

Today since it was so nice outside, I decided to try and throw some rollers now that she has some more interest in the disc and she actually chased some! And then I decided I should video, but she was already getting tired/hot.
She isn't used to running much as she is such a velcro dog and I can't really run. She doesn't play much fetch, so not sure how I am going to build up more endurance in Chloe.

But I am so happy! Maybe her drive for the disc will continue to grow!

How often should I practice? I do not want to practice too much and burn her out on it.

And.. here is the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9QZIcE7UdA

Oh! and I have to brag a little!
She is doing so good about her barking thing, Angel barked at someone she didn't see walking in the dark, and Chloe looked but came running to me, without a sound, for a treat instead of charging at whoever barking like a maniac!

Andd, today while we were outside, these two guys were playing frisbee golf by the basket we were practicing by and she didn't bark at them! She snorted a little and then came to me and was quiet while I gave her treats, then she just watched them (although they were whipping discs so fast she didn't even see the discs fly lol).

Anyway, they came around a couple different times and she was so good! Yay for progress!

Oh! And!!!! There was this little kid, which normally she hates kids and thinks they are aliens trying to kill her and used to lunge and try to bite them. This little kid was following her and I as we were on our way to meet her friend Renegade (a BC) at the fenced in area and I asked the boy if he wanted to pet her before he got too close to her, and so I gave him some treats and she gave him a high five and didn't even look scared like she will a little when I make her high five other kids. But this kid was pretty mellow/slow moving so that helped her out.

Either way, so proud of her! and so happy she is starting to seem to like the disc more!

amberdyan

Hahaha, I have taught really really basic catches to shelter dogs as a volunteer. I honestly think Hugo has poor.... face awareness? Lol. He's been tough to teach. Great at catching rollers though. I probably just need to go back to the very begining. Be she def looks like zhe has a great foundation.

Hahaha, I have taught really really basic catches to shelter dogs as a volunteer. I honestly think Hugo has poor.... face awareness? Lol. He's been tough to teach. Great at catching rollers though. I probably just need to go back to the very begining. Be she def looks like zhe has a great foundation.
Haha, oh okay. Maybe he has to be hit in the head with flying objects a billion times like Chloe before he gets how to catch things! But man, after she started realizing she could open her mouth and catch something instead of just watch it as it smacks her in the face, it has become one of her favorite games!

I am just so happy about her non-barkiness today, child friendly attitude, and actually going all the way to chase rollers!!!

It was a very good day in ChloeLand.

Members online

No members online now.