One dog attacks the other unprovoked/bad personality match

wei_xiao

Hello, I'm new here. I placed a brief introduction on the board but here is a summary of my dogs and my issues.

I adopted two dogs in April from the local SPCA. They were owner surrenders due to deployment. They were both apparently craigslist puppies. One is a 4ish yr old golden doodle (95lbs) and the other is a 3ish yr old terrier type mix who weighs about 35lbs.

They were billed as a "bonded pair" and were adopted out together.

Chowder, the small dog, was neutered right before I got him. LB, the big dog, was neutered already.

In their adoption paperwork, LB was described as very laid back. Chowder was described as "a jerk that likes to bite ears". I didn't expect it to be a problem though!

Both obviously had some basic obedience training. Chowder can be a selective listener but is VERY smart. LB is stubborn as all get out, but both are doing really well. We've done a lot of work and while neither is 100% reliable with recall off leash and both are still working on long-stays, both are doing really, really well with obedience.

LB is very laid back. He just wants to lounge around in the kitchen on his dog beds all day and is happy with one long walk a day. He doesn't like to play with toys or chew on anything other than raw hide sometimes. Chowder is not really hyper at all, but much higher energy. He always wants to be in the fenced in yard running around and tearing up toys. We do LOTS of playing and running and they both get an additional long walk or run (100+ acre farm) on leash per day that they come back tired from. Both are very people friendly and neither show any food or high-value object aggression.

The problem:

They really aren't very compatible. Their personalities are SO different. They go out of their way to avoid each other in general, if given the space. I try and make sure they always have the space to avoid each other. However, sometimes, Chowder attacks LB with no provocation. For example, we were sitting in the kitchen the other day and the dogs were sleeping in opposite corners. Chowder suddenly got up and lunged at LB. No toys, food, people, beds, or anything were involved. This happens somewhat regularly. Chowder often goes for LB's ears and bites him quite hard. LB never retaliates and just cries. Chowder got LB pinned behind a bush in the yard the other day and he was just biting him. I heard LB screaming and ran out to break it up. I've started separating them whenever they are not supervised. Chowder knows "leave it" and will stop if I tell him to, but it doesn't stop him from instigating it.

It seems not to have a trigger, other than honestly, I think Chowder is trying to play but it being too rough and LB panics and doesn't want to play and screams which makes Chowder worse.

He drew blood the other day and LB is becoming fearful around him. He refuses to go out into the yard with him unless they are on leashes.

I have a call into a couple of local trainers and I'm planning on getting Chowder checked out by the vet in case it is a thyroid issue or something related to the neuter. However, it is a problem and I'm starting to wonder how fair it is for them both to be going through this and being "stuck" with a dog that they don't really get along with. It isn't that practical to keep them supervised (although Chowder will go after LB when supervised, just that I can tell him to stop and he will) or separated for the rest of their lives in the same house.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? I even tried bitter spray on the outside of LB's ears hoping that would deter Chowder from biting them, but it didn't make a difference. Is there anything else I should be doing right now? When do I start needing to consider rehoming separately? How on earth do I even make a decision like that?

I really want to do right by both of them.

Edited to clarify: Chowder doesn't appear otherwise to show any aggression at all and honestly, I don't really think most of his behavior (other than a few times, like when he drew blood) is really aggression, it just seems like he wants to play a lot rougher than LB does (which is not at all). Vet suggested I find him a playmate that wouldn't mind rough play but that sounds like a liability to me so I'm quite hesitant. I really just think they are not particularly compatible...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.