Importing Dogs/Puppies

Locke

What are your thoughts/experiences with importing a dog/puppy from another continent? The dog will primarily just be an active pet, and there are local breeders I could get a dog from, but I much prefer the look, substance, and health of the dogs in Europe.

I'm already on the fence about buying a dog from a breeder, so I feel like I should strive to choose the best of the breed, to support a great breeder that is doing it all right, regardless of distance. But at the same time, I feel badly for going to a breeder in the first place, and importing just seems so over the top!

I don't know what to do.

krissy

If there is a true difference in health or health testing, I'd take the import. Health is important regardless of whether the dog will be a working dog, a sport prospect, or just a pet. We all want our dogs to live as long as possible. :)

If it was more about appearance... I don't think that's a bad reason to import, but if it was just for a pet I personally would probably think twice about it. Assuming that we're talking about minor differences and personal preference and not major conformational differences that could influence health.

what breed? in the typical ones like GSD's, there are plenty in America that are very bit as good as the ones in Germany. Rotties, harder to find, but there's some nice one's around. Haven't seen many imports from Germany. the few Dobes around i think imports were better, but my sample pool is rather small.

Other breeds like pointers? Very good dogs here in the US, a guy I knew used to go and win the international comps with his dogs, of course his dad was a German immigrant.

I know people want what they want, but I'd never consider importing an "active pet" there are a million of them around me, i'm sure I can find a few that fit what i'm looking for.

I currently own a dog that is in Europe and I have had the worst time with transport.

I purchased a puppy from a long time friend, so I know my dog is safe and fine where he is, but the transport has been a nightmare. I can definitely tell you who NOT to use in Europe for transport. And she is VERY popular, but never brought my dog and will not refund me. (I am aware that I should not have paid her ahead of time, but this is a transport that had a good reputation and my breeder had used her several times and we all felt we trusted her) It has been a nightmare and we finally made it public on the transport forums on FB.

But now due to a family medical issue, I am leaving him over there for a while because I am a bit busy with that and not home much and we have enough dogs for my daughter to be taking care of. Which breaks my heart because I paid for a puppy and now he is 5 months old and not getting any younger. Had he come when he was supposed to, he would be fine and part of my pack. I would have made it work. But right now, my breeder said she will do the new transport, but has to get the money and she lives on a working farm and we all know how money is there, and right now I just said to wait for a while. I am tired of dealing with it and if it was not such a truly fantastic dog I would say refund me. He would be an excellent cross into my lines and hers are the same style and drive that I have. But I have spent much money over there and no dog.

It has all been a huge heartbreaking ordeal.

Locke

Your situation sounds really frustrating and disappointing, Stillwater. I hope you're able to get it all sorted soon. Something like that worries me. I know many people have had successful imports, but there is always that chance of paying out, and having no dog to show for it.

The breed I'm looking into is the Chinese Crested Powder Puff. There are lots of great breeders in North America, but I find many of the dogs to be lacking substance. They look delicate/fragile, overly long in the body, and small in size.
I like the European dogs because they look more hardy, are more square, and tend to be a bit larger. I'm particularly interested in a lot of breeders in Poland, purely based on looks at this point.

All the European breeders I've looked into run full health testing on knees, eyes (PLL and PRA), which I have not seen as much of with North American breeders.

At this point, as much as I WANT a Polish dog, I think I'll go for the next best thing and find a breeder in North America that has Polish/European lines...

you learn something new every day :) never heard of these dogs before. I guess if it was something I really wanted, and I couldn't find it here, I'd go there. Sometimes going there, assuming you do your homework and find a good transport and breeder, is easier than looking across this great big country if the breeders and types are more concentrated there.

Line some up, go visit and bring one back with your as a carry on :)

Hey Locke, the women who's good friends with Hiccup's breeder who's house I go to a lot just imported a Puff puppy. Worked out great for her but she had wanted a dog from these lines for awhile I believe.

I could always put you in contact with her if you were interested!

As far as the subject, I tend to pick the breeder and lines I like regardless of country so, find what you like and if it's in another country go for it, just be careful!

Locke, if you decide to import a dog from Poland, definitely do not use this person. She lives in Warsaw, Poland and is always doing transports to US. I can PM you her name if you go with seeking a transport to US. She is now under investigation and still doing transports.

The safety of the dog is never in question. Her transport people did take good care of the dogs (with the exception of them letting a weim puppy loose at the airport...) but carry on size the dog was well taken care of.

It is the business end of the deal that she did not carry through on. I paid her, she never brought my dog. She refused to refund saying it was spent bringing another dog over and I should complain to my breeder.

Locke

Thanks for the input!

Linds, I'm still a long way away from adding dog #2, but I may contact you for the info. Thanks. That Puff is so cute!!

Stillwater, I think if I do import, I'm leaning more towards making a trip out of it, and bringing them back with me on the plane.

Members online

No members online now.