socialized dogs that will hurt others

exotica

I understand some breeds of dogs are just naturally more aggressive. Specially from some lines like working lines bred for aggression like protection for property or for protection from stock.

I have a dog thats 4 now. Is good with dogs usually but the problem is if a dog gets aggressive with her or trys to rough her up she can get very violent and nasty. This wont happen when they meet. It just happens when the other dog decides to do something to her.

Should i put a wire basket muzzle on her in case a dog runs out to us on the street?

krissy

My experience comes from my thin skinned breed who are used to being muzzled for breed exclusive playdates, turnouts, racing etc. But I would still say a resounding NO. I do not muzzle my dogs unless EVERY dog is muzzled. And if your problem is just when another dog gets nasty with yours... you're doing her a huge disservice. She will not be able to protect herself if another dog attacks her, so unless you are certain you can stop an attacking dog you're asking for a very big vet bill, IMO.

Summit is intolerant of "rude" behaviours. He will snap and growl at another dog that tries to mount him, approaches him stiffly, etc. He is also husky aggressive. No idea why since we've only had him for 3 years and he came to us that way. He has learned a "watch me" command. If I see an off leash husky I ask for his attention, rewarding with food, and as quickly as possible walk him the opposite direction. If an off leash husky did follow and come up to us there probably wouldn't be much I could do. But I sure as heck am not putting my thin skinned greyhound in a situation where he couldn't protect himself if a fight DID happen. He might start it with a husky, but my opinion is that if my dog is on leash and an off leash dog approaches... that's not my or my dog's fault.

Management. I would not muzzle her (and I have dogs in my house that wear muzzles every day - for other reasons), but I would also not be allowing her to play offleash with other dogs when there's the chance something could happen.

If she is getting into scuffles, that's one thing. If she is getting into full out brawls that result in one or both dogs coming away with wounds (however superficial) then you need to STOP putting her in those situations - no dog park, no yappy hour, etc.

Scuffles are not quite so serious, but they look and sound very scary and are upsetting for most owners. They don't mean you can go on ignoring the behavior either. I'd be teaching her a strong recall and proof it, proof it, proof it. Make sure you can call her away from play. Make sure you can call her away if she's interacting with the kind of dog you think could get her cranky. Mark and reward alternate behaviors, such as sniffing the ground or turning away. You may want to consult a trainer to help you out.

And honestly, I would stop taking her to places where she's playing with strange dogs. Set up playdates with friends she has, go for leashed walks with rescues/groups, or if you really want her to continue to play with strange dogs, let her go to an experienced daycare that separates dogs into appropriate groups and monitors closely.

In my experience, the majority of behavior at a dog park is really, really inappropriate - and very few people notice. I go to dog parks a lot just to sit and film the dogs (mine stays home) and NO WONDER there are fights at the park - the dogs are all out of control and nobody is paying attention to body language, escalating play, or inappropriate play. The teenaged puppy that's being an asshole to everyone is written of as being 'playful'. They are just NOT good places in general for dogs to learn social behavior. You have no way to control that kind of environment to ensure your dog has a good experience. Just my two cents.

exotica

okay thanks

ONe time a dog jumped out of someones truck a dobie and actually charged us at full speed slammed into us and tried to attack, my dog ended up flipping the dog over some how by its head, it was so fast i dont know what happened but the other dog the dobie screamed and was bleeding and cut up but the owner laughed and said his dog got what she deserved, mine is a german shhepherd. She was never a bully or anything but if a dog or anything attacks her she just gets nasty. OR if another dog trys to bully or get in her face. I dont let her get in those situations as an adult.

I did the dog park thing when she was young and keep her out now. SOmetimes people keep aggressive dogs on their drive way, or they walk dogs off leash and their dog might decide it does not like mine and will try to go after her. If the dog is happy and friendly shes usually pretty good and will ignore the dog. But shes not a social dog anymore she pretty much wants to be left alone so i dont let her meet dogs face to face on leash anymore like i use to when she was a pup she wanted to make friends. The way that dobie came at us though was way to fast like a blur.

exotica

btw i am just talking about walking my dog or jogging my dog on leash in public areas

I had no intention of taking my dog to areas that dogs are allowed off leash, people just leave the dogs free sometimes.

Members online

No members online now.