Diamond Dog Food?

Slick

Kristina
When I brought Leo home on Tuesday, he came with a ziplock bag of Diamond Dog Food (I believe for small breeds). That is almost gone now, so I have to decide whether to buy that for him or get a different brand.

I have never really heard of the Diamond brand, so I wasn't sure if it was a good dog food or not. Does anybody else know?
I am also uncertain what to do because Leo doesn't have good poops with it. Its not diarrhea necessarily, but very soft and tons of it.

I have always heard that Taste of the Wild is a good dog food, and I was contemplating switching to that, but I don't have enough Diamond left to make an easy transition, and I am a bit worried about exasperating his digesting problem.

What would you do?
The last time I owned a dog was when I was a child, so I made no food decisions and didn't really pay attention to it, so I feel like I am in unfamiliar territory

SpringerLover

If he's not doing well on it, I would switch. It depends on what's easily obtainable in your area as to what I'd recommend you feed. Taste of the Wild is Diamond, just grain free.

Lately I've really been liking Earthborn.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Diamond and Taste of the Wild are made by the same company. I think it's a fine food, it's cost-effective for a lot of people. Diamond is not grain free if I remember right, TOTW is grain free. Diamond has had some issues in the past with recalls, but they are salmonella (and if you still eat bagged salads, well. There's a new recall on those for salmonella just about every week!)

I wouldn't buy more for him if he's not doing the best on it, although he could still be having soft poops because he's adjusting to stress.

I feed TOTW and have no problems with it. It's quite affordable here and I like the grain-free. It used to be very expensive here though, and price seems to range by area...

Payton came home eating Pro Plan but the breeder forgot to bring me some when I picked Payton up, so I switched him cold-turkey to TOTW. He was just fine. If you wanted, you could do a small transition by feeding him smaller amounts than normal for a few days, letting his stomach adjust to small amounts instead of the full meal size.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
There are several good sites and places you can inform yourself about dog food and nutrition.

We have several members here that are very knowledgeable about what is available and about different diets. Hopefully they will all chime in.

I am going to start you off with a couple of websites.

http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

What to feed your dog is a very personal choice for many folks. Most of us use the health and look of our dog to help guide our food decisions. If you are not liking the way Leo's poop looks on Diamond you have already answered yourself about whether or not to change his food. I would and I am sure so will you.

When we got Watson as a puppy he was on Canidae...a decent kibble...but he contiously had large, and very smelly stools that often had a mashed potato consistency so we switched to something that was better. In our case the answer was to go for a grainfree kibble.

He is now on Ancana Grasslands and does well on it.

If you are concerned about switching slowly you could buy a small bag of the Diamond so you have enough to make a switch comfortably.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I've fed the diamond naturals to my dogs before and they've all done well. Abrams did have some weird poops on the chicken and rice formula, so I switched to 4Health. I would feed the Diamond Naturals again for future dogs.

joce

My dogs did just as good on the grain free naturals line as TOTW.

I did switch to wellness recently when they did not have lamb in and I have jus stuck with it because my corgi seemed to do good on it. But I notice any change in food, seems to make a difference so I change every couple of bags.

Slick

Kristina
When we got Watson as a puppy he was on Canidae...a decent kibble...but he contiously had large, and very smelly stools that often had a mashed potato consistency so we switched to something that was better. In our case the answer was to go for a grainfree kibble.
Thank you for the helpful websites!

This describes Leo's stool perfectly. The smell is awful.

Since Taste of the Wild is similar to Diamond but grain free, I think I will try that first. Probably buy a small bag in the beginning in case it doesn't work out.

I do think that it is possible that some of the consistency is just from moving stress. Plus, I am not positive if he has been on the Diamond for very long. He was in a foster home for a long time, but then for the last two days before I adopted him was back in the shelter, so it is possible they gave him a different food there.

Either way, I would prefer to feed grain free, so if Diamond and TotW are the same with the exception of the grain versus grain free, then it shouldn't be too terrible switching them.

Members online