Would your dog(s) do well in an apartment?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Well, we live in a tiny one bedroom apartment on the thirds floor with a dog reactive Border collie (Talon) and my people/dog reactive terrier mix (Artimis), and haven't had any problems. So yeah....it works for us :p

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Cobain and Rigby have both lived in 2 different apartments with me.
One was a 1 bedroom, 1st floor apartment for 1 year. The second was this summer for 4 months in a 2nd floor smaller apartment.
The first apartment backed onto a large park with a little wooded trail and a football field. So each day before the kids left for school we'd take a run in the trails, and then a few hours later would practice disc or fetch once they were all at school. (Park was a popular shortcut for the kids going to school).

The summer was more difficult. Very industrial area and not many green spaces. But they still did quite well.

They're both relatively quiet, both incredibly adaptable. And really, I have found that Rigby is much happier when she lives in the apartment. The structure of everything seems to help her.

Oz and Ruby have both stayed in both apartments for varying lengths of time. Ruby has SA, I'm not sure how bad it is now, but when she stayed with us she would scream and cry when we left.
Oz whines at the door, barks at things, and for some reason he loses all house manners when he's in one of my apartments.

Most likely she would be able to live in an apartment, but she does alert bark when someone is at the door, but I think we would be able to quiet her down soon enough to not cause an annoyance.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Current apartment dweller's here.

Mine are not great apartment dogs :p

Frodo barks (not so much at the people/noises in the hallway, fortunately), but he barks whenever he gets excited. He also plays REALLY REALLY loud. His SA is mostly controlled now, so unless it's a bad day, he doesn't bark when we aren't home.

Siri sometimes screams when we leave. But usually not, and if she does, it isn't for very long. She is very quiet in general, except if there is a dog or animal on the television, or a cat outside the window. We are working on these things.

Fortunately, my apartment doesn't seem to care about barking dogs.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
They would probably be fine considering they got proper exercise. I would hate potty time, though. Having to walk everyone on a leash and actually get dressed?! Ugh.

I may kill Tulsa, but that is because she likes to SPRINT AND POING ALL THE PLACES! That would need to be fixed.

The only real problem I could see would be the adjustment to vehicles constantly coming and going. We live on a fairly quiet street and they will alert bark to anyone who pulls in the driveway/sometimes random noises at night.

Other than that, they are mostly quiet dogs with good off-switches, so yeah.

MicksMom

Well,when we were displaced after Superstorm Sandy, we lived in one room for 3 1/2 months in a friend's house with no problems , so I don't think Caleb would get us kicked out of an apartment.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
LOL not really. I mean I guess as long as they were getting exercised? But they have a habit some nights of zooming around the house at like 11pm barking at each other so that would have to come to an end :p

I am currently living in an attached town-home, so while there is no yard, I could not get kicked out for noise (that wouldn't stop my neighbors from getting mad, though). I *think* Fable would do fine in an apartment. She settles pretty well in the house and is not a noisy dog in general. She does whine at times, but never for more than a minute. The only thing I would be worried about is her alert barking at other people coming and going. She doesn't do it very often here, but that might be different in an apartment.

Katem

Badger and Pig like to rip around the house at inappropriate hours, so I have a feeling anyone living underneath us would not be thrilled. It would also have to be a gigantic apartment to accommodate aforementioned shenanigans. And have soundproof walls. Pig is a noisy beastling.

Bear would probably do fine as long as it wasn't a walk-up since he shouldn't be doing a lot of stairs. He alert barks quite a bit, but it's not terribly hard to manage.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin & I have lived in two apartments so far, so yes.

Don't get me wrong, we enjoy a house with a yard as much as any dog owning person (don't have to put on pants for potty breaks!) but...he does just fine. And I prefer apartments.

Plus he gets much more exercise when we are in apartments :rofl1:

Within 48 hours in a new small apartment with me he usually settles down, figures out what is attention worthy and what isn't (this move we have a radiator he was a bit suspicious of in the beginning) and learns the ropes.
For a bit living with my mom he picked up barking at the door thanks to her dog but with my correction and no other dog to back him up, he's stopped that again (thank goodness)

We not only live in apartments, we live in TINY apartments...(less than 300 sq feet) and at the end of the day it just comes down to enough exercise.

Not to mention the fact that he is never more than a foot away from me when I'm home so...space doesn't really matter lol

No way. They are LOUD. Especially when they get riled up and start chasing each other around the house and bouncing off furniture while howling. They let the neighborhood know when we're home from work.

RD

Are you dead yet?
My border collie has lived most of her life with me in small apartments and done beautifully. "Get out of my way" is frequently uttered because the dog likes to be underfoot.

I don't want to live with her in a large house because she will have way too much room for activities, and most of her activities are things I don't want her to do. We have two rooms and two bathrooms and even then, boyfriend and I frequently find ourselves going "where's the dog?"

She is an excellent apartment dog from our landlord's perspective. She rarely barks, is never left outside on our patio, poops in one corner of our patio for easy cleanup, and is trained to stay by me without a leash.

Probably, all mine are pretty quiet and average to lower energy.

Can't say it would be ideal for ME however...I want my yard and sense of privacy [even if it's more of an illusion].

Lyzelle

Don't get me wrong, we enjoy a house with a yard as much as any dog owning person (don't have to put on pants for potty breaks!) but...he does just fine. And I prefer apartments.
This. But apartments force me to be active and have clothes ready and there is a routine...they sorta force you to be responsible instead of throwing the dogs in the backyard. I do prefer houses with yards and fences.

But I think my guys will be fine. Zander has lived in an apartment and did well. Quinn spends most of the day in my room anyway. It isn't as if we have ever really used the entire house or anything.

She is barky now, but we are also going through that teenager phase.

Heidi would be absolutely perfect in an apartment. She's quiet, she's low energy, she loves everyone.

Jack is an alert barker, and I feel like he would have issues with apartment noises. Plus, he's not stranger social so elevator/hallway situations might be difficult. Energy-wise, he'd be just fine.

I'm not sure about Missy. She's the most active out of the three, and I would worry about not getting enough run-around/zooming time. I suppose If I had an area where I could let her safely off leash (she's not a dog park dog), it would be fine. I would think that alert barking might be an issue, but I feel like she'd get used to that way more quickly than Jack would.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Activity wise, yes she could handle being in an apartment if exercised enough. Separation anxiety would get us kicked out pretty fast, though!! And I'd worry about running into other dogs in hallways... I'd probably have to muzzle train her. Or just do super long intros with everyone else's dogs so that she can at least pass them calmly.

Chalo and I are in a mild version of an apartment situation right now (the lower level of a two-story house). It works just fine, though living in a busier neighborhood has been an adjustment. He still gets pretty indignant about any loud engines or people talking on our sidewalk, but he is typically quiet about it -- just huffs and puffs and marches around the house with his hackles up. He'd probably adjust just fine to a "true" apartment (e.g. navigating hallways, elevators, multiple stories, smaller living space).

And although I treasure my several-walks-a-day routine with him, I yearn for the day when we have a fenced yard again. It is just so nice to be able to let the dog out without having to put pants on.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Nola and I lived in an apartment for 6 months and she did fine with enough exercise. She's crate trained and will quit barking on command, she's house trained and isn't destructive. With enough exercise, that is.

Pike would be fine too, IF he could run each day. If he can't, he chews.

Olivia is only 4 months old so she'd be easy to adapt.

Members online

No members online now.