Moser/Andis/Oster clippers

cla

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this whole grooming stuff and I could really use some advice on the clippers.
I've been searching the internet and found that there are basically 3 good clippers: Oster, Andis and Moser.
My budget is pretty low so I decided not to go for professional clippers (like Oster Golden, 45W), but for semi-professional ones. My dog is pretty small (Pekignese) and she only needs grooming twice a year in summertime, so professional clippers would be too much.

What is the most important thing when choosing good clippers: the power of the engine (W), the brand, the speed, etc.?

Here are the clippers I found so far:
1) Oster 078701-010, 10 Watts - BUT I found some awful reviews saying they get hot very fast, they don't cut well and get clugged
2) Andis D4D Combo, 10 Watts
3) Moser Rex 1230, 15 Watts

Is the 10 Watt engine too little? How about the 15 W?

I had also found Andis PM1-Pet Kit, 18 Watts but our local (and sole) distributor ran out of this model and won't bring any new ones until September. :mad:

What do you think? Could human clippers do the job as well?

Thanks a million!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I've used these and LOVE them - not too terribly pricey, either:
http://www.petedge.com/product/Groo...rooming-Clipper/pc/190/c/330/sc/397/44531.uts

When I was looking or clippers, I bought this pair as it was the only pair I liked under $100:
http://www.petedge.com/product/Groo...rooming-Clipper/pc/190/c/330/sc/397/46818.uts

The first time I used them they were wonderful, but now it seems like they get hot quickly and they make this god-awful buzzing noise. So I'm pretty sure somethings not connecting right somewhere. But if that is he case, that happened after the first use, so...meh. Either way, it still cuts very well. I don't use them that often.

ETA: Human hair clippers would NOT be good enough. I cut my boyfriend's hair with his own human clippers and they don't have near enough speed to cut through a dog with a thick hair coat.

cla

*blackrose, thank you for your answer.
I will take a look at the clippers you suggested.

I have always gone with the Oster but found with the newer ones I bought that they heat up too quickly. I change the blade frequently but they almost get too hot to hold. With my old Oster I used to be able to completely clip my Shih Tzu x Maltese right off with a 10 blade but can't do that with the newer ones without letting them cool down several times.

Not a fan of the Oster. I have them and they get gunked and don't trim well. Granted, the last time I used them was to shave glue out of fur (long story), but they never worked well even before that. Took me half an hour to shave a VERY short coat in a 8" x 2" patch.

Zoo

Forget about cordless. Corded human clippers can work (my wife stole my cheap corded Wahl clippers that I had bought from Walmart for use with our Spinone and it got the job done with a lot of time and effort) but they will bog down and are not the best tool for the job...

Ultimately we bought the Andis A5 for $120 which was basically the cheapest option that would function properly for the long term. Yes it gets hot, they make a cooling spray that I highly recommend using...

Members online

No members online now.