Help Butt Smell!!

My dog is a female and there is a strong fishy funky smell coming from my dogs behind. I thought it was anal glands but there is nothing coming out of her butt. Do dogs have yeast infections? But the smell smells like rotten tuna, it's horrible!! Or is it allergies? she has been liking her belly lately giving her a rash, and licking and biting her feet. Please help! also how do i get rid of that smell and help her

Zoom

Twin 2.0
It could still be her anal glands. They won't really show anything when they're full, but they will smell to high heaven.

If she is licking and biting herself, this could signal allergies as well. How long has this gone on? What are you currently feeding her?

You might schedual an appointment with your vet. They can express the anals, or tell you if it's something else.

Saintgirl

It sounds like anal glands. You don't have to see anything coming out of her, a tiny drop will smell to high heavens! Bring her to your vet or groomer to have her anals expressed and I would bet your fishy smell will go away. Daily we see dogs that have full anals and their owners have no idea that they are full or that this is the cause of the offensive odour coming from their dog.

bubbatd

I'd do a little squeeze myself .... smell the tissue and you'll know ! Then on the the vet if you don't care to go all the way !

Saintgirl

Not always will a little squeeze manage to express an anal gland, especially if the gland is impacted. If you decide that you want to try an external expression on your own the glands are located at 8 and 4 o'clock beside the anus. Gently squeeze in and upwards. If you can't get anything on your own do not continue to squeeze and consult a professional. Not always will you be successful on an external expression even if the gland is not impacted, they can just be stubborn sometimes especially if your fingers are not in the correct position. Sometimes the anal glands will become impacted and an internal expression will have to be done to correct the problem. An impacted gland is when the oils become thick and pastey, and it isn't any more expensive to have this done, but it is more difficult and even more disgusting than external expressing.

Remember to be gentle. Do NOT ever force a gland that is not expressing as you can rupture the gland with rough treatment.

I will make an appoitment with my vet.

I could NEVER do that. I would be too worried about hurting her and just a bit too gross for me.

The fact that she is fixed does not mean it cant be a "female infection".

All of mine are fixed and one of females had an infection that smelled exactly like what you are decribing... she needed antibiotics and she was fine after a few days... I would see the vet.

Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck.

L

Lyka_01

Consult the VET...
That's a perfect idea...
so that you will know really what's going on to her...

Saintgirl

Great news! Now remember that you have to keep an eye on the glands or you will have this problem again. Bum scooting, licking at their backsides, and this fishy smell are all indicators that it is time to do this again.

Lyka, the source of the smell is from the anal glands. Some dogs do not express their own glands when they have a BM. When this happens the glands become full and can leak- the smell is STRONG. It is not uncommon for dogs, we express glands on a daily basis.

ETA
Call around when you need to get it done next, often groomers are able to do this cheaper.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Oh, and take her off Science Diet. It makes anal gland issues worse. It could also be what is causing the itching.

Members online