Play mates & company

Mykl

My dog Jack is 8 months old. He is a quasi-large mix breed. We've already been through house training, and he seems quite adjusted to our new apartment. My girlfriend and I have a large 2 bedroom place. Lately, Iv'e been thinking how happy he would be to have a dog friend. He get's along with every dog he's met so far, including at the dog park, and his playfulness is insatiable. I was looking into fostering because I really believe in what a difference that makes, but I don't think it is a good fit. My folks always had at least two dogs when lived with them and they seem to get relly close to each other. What I'm a little weary of is taking on more than I can chew. Does 2 dogs in big apartment sound comfy and happy for all or chaos? Please share your ideas...Thanxs

Romy

Taxiderpy
It probably depends on the dog you are fostering, and how well it gets along with your dog. Maybe you could talk to a rescue about it, let them know you have a dog and see if they can work it out so the foster and your dog can meet for some fun to make sure they are ok before bringing anyone home.

What is your schedule like? Fostering does take some extra time. They get adopted out faster and have a much higher chance of staying in their new homes forever if you can take them out to do some basic obedience with them. Things like sit, lay down, no jumping up on people, potty training, pretty much basic house manners. It's not that hard, but it does take a few short one on one sessions daily to do it. We found that many dogs that needed rescue were youngish med-large dogs who were just never taught manners, and when they grew too big for rudeness to be tolerated ended up dumped.

Also worthy of note, is that every dog we fostered came into our home with explosive diarrhea and vomiting for about a week. It's probably because they were pulled straight from the shelter and into our home, and the stress, crappy shelter food, and kennel cough combined into those symptoms. Depending on the rescue you get involved with, the dogs may not be dealing with those issues and you may have no problem. Just thought I'd let you know though, as it added an extra 2 hours a day for the first week of really disgusting chores. Luckily, we had tile floors. :)

Members online

No members online now.